VOGONS

First post, by Isstanar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

***I originally posted in the mpusoft forum accidentally but I meant to post here***
I've been wanting to play dos games again so I got myself an old toshiba 335cdt as well as a Roland sc-88 because I never got a chance to use one in the past. So I was researching how to use one but I can't seem to get it to work and I was hoping I could get some help getting it setup properly. I used dos in the past to play games but never had any actual midi hardware so I'm less familiar with it.

My setup:
Toshiba 335cdt laptop
ESS1688 sound card in laptop
Roland sc-88 (connected through serial port to PC serial port)
Windows 98 (I reboot into Msdos mode for games)

According to the sc-88 manual I don't need any drivers to setup for DOS (except for softmpu of course) so I ran softmpu like this "softmpu /sb:220 /Irq:5 /mpu:330 /output:com1". Softmpu shows that it found the sound card and the com port for MPU ok. So I try setting up sound in a few games (duke3d, menzobarranan, dungeon hack, and doom) and music wouldn't work in any of the games. So I happened to have police quest 3 as well and still no sound but I realized it might need to be in the cm-64 mode for ploice quest which it did. Finally got something to show up on the sc-88 but the music was all wrong. Just a few notes then like one solid note that would keep playing. The notes were all wrong.

In not sure if there is something I need to setup on the sc-88, I just assumed it took data from the games. Only thing I did was take out the battery as it was said its better if you are just playing games with it. So I'm not sure what I did wrong and I couldn't find any clear explanations about how to get the sc-88 running for dos games. It seems like most people just plug theirs (sc-88,sc-55, or mt-32) in and it works with little setup. If there is any more info on my setup that will help I'll gladly provide it.

Reply 1 of 7, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Prob should be in Marvin or the SoftMPU forum 😀

Unfortunately SoftMPU only works with real-mode games due to the way it traps port accesses.
This rules out anything that uses a DOS Extended like Doom.
It's really intended for older games, up to around 1992.

Reply 2 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually does not belong in the DOS forum, which is only for help with running DOS games on *new* operating systems.

Moved to Marvin.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 7, by Isstanar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

Actually does not belong in the DOS forum, which is only for help with running DOS games on *new* operating systems.

Moved to Marvin.

Ah ok, didn't realize, thanks.

bjt wrote:
Prob should be in Marvin or the SoftMPU forum :happy: […]
Show full quote

Prob should be in Marvin or the SoftMPU forum 😀

Unfortunately SoftMPU only works with real-mode games due to the way it traps port accesses.
This rules out anything that uses a DOS Extended like Doom.
It's really intended for older games, up to around 1992.

Ok, I was just using softmpu because I thought it might be my only way to get it detected. Is that perhaps the case if I'm using the serial cable connection method?

Reply 5 of 7, by Isstanar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PeterLI wrote:

TBH I have hardly ever seen anyone play games with serial MPU-401. Usually people use DB15 or (mini) MIDI DIN.

Ah yeah, I didn't explain that well, that is exactly what I'm using. Then of course using SoftMPU to hopefully be able to use it.

Reply 7 of 7, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It sounds like this is a SoftMPU issue and you're more likely to get help in the SoftMPU subforum.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O