VOGONS

Reply 40 of 41, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stamasd wrote:
nforce4max wrote:

I wonder if anyone has tried voltage tweaking 423s to reduce power consumption since Intel always over volts their procs a bit. I did it to a Q8200 and still managed 3.2ghz on less than stock volts using a xfx 780i with the pencil mod. Also I noticed that it is possible to mount a zalman cnps7000 using the existing mounting holes and the portion of the kit meant for through hole socket a despite only using two screws instead of four.

TBH in my 423 system it's not the CPU that is a big heat problem, it's the RAM. 😀

Easy fix just add a fan, got a i840 pentium 3 smp setup that is dual channel rdram so I know that ram cooks. If someone has the scrap and the balls they can take the heatspreaders off some ddr2 or something along the lines and add that this to reduce the temps a good bit. Coresair ram fan kits from the early and mid 2000s looks to be promising.

Last edited by nforce4max on 2016-06-27, 12:29. Edited 1 time in total.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 41 of 41, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

Easy fix just add a fan, got a i840 pentium 3 smp setup that is dual channel rdram so I know that ram cooks.

That's exactly what I did. I have a 120mm case fan strapped with zipties above the memory slots. 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O