VOGONS

Reply 41 of 53, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Diablo only requires a Pentium 60, so I guess it should run at full speed on any 5x86. Unless you use a slow ISA card for graphics. 😁

(ps: I'm not going to try since I never liked Diablo - or that style of games in general)

Reply 42 of 53, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tested Forsaken today. Like with Age of Empires, the X5-133 has not enough juice to play the intro movie at full speed. But the game itself runs perfectly fine with the Voodoo at medium resolution (512x384).

Reply 43 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was also really surprised that Forsaken ran flawlesly on a 486 with a Voodoo accelerator. Any interest in upping your game to 160 Mhz? It would be interesting to see what other games you can squeeze out of the extra MHz. My Am5x86 system is VLB/ISA only, so its only non-3D accelerated use. Too bad Voodoo wasnt offered in VLB.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 44 of 53, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Any interest in upping your game to 160 Mhz?

I was thinking about it, but don't really want to overclock the whole system. And having PCI running at 20 MHz is not an option, either.

Reply 50 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:
feipoa wrote:

Any interest in upping your game to 160 Mhz?

I was thinking about it, but don't really want to overclock the whole system. And having PCI running at 20 MHz is not an option, either.

The M919 implements an automatic 2/3 multiplier, not 1/2.

Reply 51 of 53, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could be, but many people on other forums talk about 20 MHz after setting FSB to 40 MHz. The speed loss I measure for graphics especially when accessing in 16-bit mode makes 1/2 more realistic than 2/3. But I can not measure the actual clock the PCI bus is really running at, so it could be either.

Reply 52 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I measured it, my oscilloscope showed 26.66 MHz on the PCI bus. The M919 and 8433UUD are the only motherboards I've encountered thus far which have a 2/3 option. All the SiS 496 boards I've come across appear to only have the 1/2 option. On SiS boards, the PCI divisor is performed with the motherboard's PLL clock gen chip, while on the M919 and 8433, the division is performed by the UM8886 southbridge chip.

Reply 53 of 53, by Ltsyrek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

These are games that are running quite well on my AMD 5x86 @ 160 MhZ with 24 MB of RAM and 2MB S3 805 VLB video card:
- Heroes of Might and Magic
- Heroes of Might and Magic 2 (feels quite slow, but it is playable)
- Age of Empires (a bit slow)
- Atomic Bomberman
- Beavis and Butthead in the Virtual Stupidity
- Captain Claw
- Diablo
- Doom95
- Fallout
- Fallout 2 (a bit slow but 100% playable)
- Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (low-res)
- Lomax
- Nethergate
- Netstorm - Islands at War
- Starcraft
- Towers
- Tracer
- Worms 2