VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all

I'm thinking of getting a steering wheel for a P166/Voodoo 1 machine. I've never actually owned a wheel and I don't think I'll be into some serious simulators. I just want to get something comfortable to play Carmageddon, Quarantine, Need for Speed, etc. So, a couple of questions here:

1) Thrustmaster FCS and CH Products were something of a standard for joysticks. Many games supported them out of the box, other manufacturers tried to emulate them for better compatibility. Same goes for Gravis and gamepads. Is there anything similar with wheels?
2) Is force feedback support common in games around 92 to 97?
3) Am I correct to assume that in many cases wheels actually emulate a joystick, and if a game supports a joystick, it will work with a wheel?
4) Which model would you recommend?

All in all, I'm thinking about getting a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback. I really like my Sidewinder 3D Pro for its ergonomics, design and build quality, and I kind of like the design of Force Feedback. Does anyone have any experience with it? Is it well supported in the games?

Thanks!

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 11, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never gone past my trusty Thrustmaster GP1 - the one with paddles on the wheel instead of peddles on the floor, which are more trouble than they're worth IMHO

DSCN1155_zps7480c9af.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 11, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

the one with paddles on the wheel instead of peddles on the floor, which are more trouble than they're worth IMHO

Why? Seems a bit counter-intuitive. Are peddles too hard to press or something?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 11, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A steering wheel and pedals are basically like a joystick with a slightly different interface. Any racing/driving game will be fine with a gameport wheel on the machine you're saying you'll be using.

For reasonable prices, Thrustmaster is going to be the go-to option for steering wheels of the era. The MS SideWinder Pro Force Feedback is too new for a P166 machine (I have one in the closet) as nothing will use the force feedback and you will have a better feel with a true centering spring on those old games. The GP1 badmojo posted is a fine wheel, but the paddles for the brake and gas are limiting because they are on a combined axis. This means you can't gas and brake at the same time. I would highly suggest getting something that supports separate axises for brake and gas.

I have some variation of the Thrustmaster NASCAR Pro wheel for my retro PC and it works great for the old DOS Papyrus sims and NFS.

Tualatin Celeron 1.4 + Powerleap PL-IP3/T, ASUS P2B, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Voodoo2 SLI, AWE64, 32GB IDE SSD, Dell 2001FP

Reply 4 of 11, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:
badmojo wrote:

the one with paddles on the wheel instead of peddles on the floor, which are more trouble than they're worth IMHO

Why? Seems a bit counter-intuitive. Are peddles too hard to press or something?

Extra cables, more things to go wrong but more importantly I never found them comfortable to use. They slide away when you stomp on them and feel nothing like actual car peddles anyway. The paddles on the wheel on the other hand are comfortable and accurate all day long.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 11, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
y2k se wrote:

I have some variation of the Thrustmaster NASCAR Pro wheel for my retro PC and it works great for the old DOS Papyrus sims and NFS.

Any opinions on the Thrustmaster Formula Sprint?

21817.jpg

Looks similar to NASCAR Pro (not sure about the specs/functionality) and I can source one pretty cheaply.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 6 of 11, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not familiar with that one. Looks like its just missing the shifter and the pedal base is a bit different. Otherwise its probably about the same.

Tualatin Celeron 1.4 + Powerleap PL-IP3/T, ASUS P2B, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Voodoo2 SLI, AWE64, 32GB IDE SSD, Dell 2001FP

Reply 7 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jheronimus wrote:

Did you get this in the end?

Reply 8 of 11, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:
jheronimus wrote:

Did you get this in the end?

Nope. I've decided to wait and research a little more. To be honest I can't get over its looks — just seems a bit too spartan and cheap — more like Quickshot.

Could very well be that because wheels of this era simply weren't as popular as joysticks, vendors did not put too much thought into their design.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 9 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ok thanks,
Keeping 1/2 eye out myself for a good dos wheel. Had a Mad Catz wheel back in the day, but even then it felt cheap and didn't last that long.
Where as 9x and above your have plenty of choice (Love my Wingman Formula Force "big red" not the crappy GP)

Reply 11 of 11, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've always really liked the Microsoft Sidewinder force feedback ones:
B00000JDG9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

You can get them either in 15-pin analog or USB versions. USB is recommended for newer systems, but I don't know if they can be used in DOS.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/