VOGONS

First post, by Musti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

i am playing DOS and Retrogames on a old PC with a Windows 98SE operating System. "C-Media-AC97 Audio Device" is the onboard Sound Card.
My problem is that many games say that "Sound Blaster Card was not detected". The easiest solution would be to buy a PCI-Sound-Blaster-Card.
But i would need a low profile Sound Blaster-Card which works on Windows 98SE. I couldn't find a card of that type, so my question is can i simulate a
Sound-Blaster Card with my AC97 Audio Device or do i have any other possibilities?

Thank you for every help.

Reply 1 of 16, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 98se should emulate a soundblaster Pro.

I have a I815 chipset with soundmax ad1885 onboard sound and soundblaster pro work with A220 I5 D1.

Automatic detection fails most time but set port and irq manualy it works.

Just open a command-prompt from win98 startmenu and type SET to see if there is a BLASTER line.

Look at my other Thread and maybe you can add some Games which successfully works with sb-emulation.

Re: Windows 98 Soundblaster Pro Emulation

Reply 2 of 16, by Musti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sammy wrote:
Windows 98se should emulate a soundblaster Pro. […]
Show full quote

Windows 98se should emulate a soundblaster Pro.

I have a I815 chipset with soundmax ad1885 onboard sound and soundblaster pro work with A220 I5 D1.

Automatic detection fails most time but set port and irq manualy it works.

Just open a command-prompt from win98 startmenu and type SET to see if there is a BLASTER line.

Look at my other Thread and maybe you can add some Games which successfully works with sb-emulation.

Re: Windows 98 Soundblaster Pro Emulation

Thank you for your answer. As you can see i have the following settings in the attached picture. But how can i change the settings and how can i find out which are the right settings?
f0f854-1469186903.jpg

Reply 3 of 16, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having the BLASTER variable set is a good sign.

You should be able to manually configure each game for address 220, IRQ 5, DMA 1.

Do you have those problems inside Windows, or when booting into DOS?

A PCI sound blaster most likely won't help.

Reply 4 of 16, by Musti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
oerk wrote:
Having the BLASTER variable set is a good sign. […]
Show full quote

Having the BLASTER variable set is a good sign.

You should be able to manually configure each game for address 220, IRQ 5, DMA 1.

Do you have those problems inside Windows, or when booting into DOS?

A PCI sound blaster most likely won't help.

I have the problems only inside DOS applications. As example i can hear the starting melody of Windows 98.
But my question is, in which file do i need to make the changes? Here you can see the files of a game which
plays no sound, which of the files do i need to change?
6523de-1469194102.jpg

Reply 5 of 16, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, I meant, are you running the game inside Windows or are you booting into DOS?

You shouldn't have to change any files. Either there is a setup program, or you can change the sound options from within the game. If there's none of that, the card most likely uses the BLASTER variable.

If the game uses other routines to detect if there's a Soundblaster card in your system, and it fails, there's most likely nothing you can do about it.

Reply 6 of 16, by Musti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
oerk wrote:

No, I meant, are you running the game inside Windows or are you booting into DOS?

You shouldn't have to change any files. Either there is a setup program, or you can change the sound options from within the game. If there's none of that, the card most likely uses the BLASTER variable.

If the game uses other routines to detect if there's a Soundblaster card in your system, and it fails, there's most likely nothing you can do about it.

I am running the game inside Windows. In Windows i have sounds but no music. If i run it inside DOS, i have no sound and no music

Reply 7 of 16, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some motherboards have a bios setting to enable legacy sound blaster emulation on the integrated sound card, I would try and see if you have that, and if it is enabled.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 9 of 16, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Soundblaster emulation only works inside windows.
So it is normal that you do not hear sound when booting into pure dos.

I set games to soundblaster pro with A220 I5 D1 for Digital Sound Effects.

And for Music i choose General Midi with Port 330.

Most games have a setup.exe sndset.exe install.exe or something similar.

Reply 10 of 16, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
skitters wrote:

A possible alternative if nothing else works --
Win9x + VDMSound **ALPHA**
Win9x + VDMSound **ALPHA**

Have you tryed that?
I tryed it, soundcard is detected but when doing a soundtest in setup or inside the Game only silence come out of Speaker.

I installed then Win2k next to Win98 and there VDMsound works great.

Reply 11 of 16, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He probably gets no music because the chip doesn't have FM synthesis, and his game expects to find an OPL2 or 3 chip somewhere.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 12 of 16, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

He probably gets no music because the chip doesn't have FM synthesis, and his game expects to find an OPL2 or 3 chip somewhere.

The model of the motherboard and the exact model of the C-Media chip would help lots. since at least some C-Media AC97 chips had FM and Sound Blaster compatibility.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 13 of 16, by Musti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Aideka wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:

The model of the motherboard and the exact model of the C-Media chip would help lots. since at least some C-Media AC97 chips had FM and Sound Blaster compatibility.

My board is a M863G which supports Windows 98 (all drivers installed)