VOGONS

VIA-based thin client rescue

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 45, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Really interesting, awesome thin client upgrade - I think this particular client model is interesting, and almost expandable in more ways, in its tiny size and layout. I just can't mount 512MB RAM, because I've only taller ECC models of this size, and I can't close the case in that way, so only 256MB for now. Have you found anything interesting about its PCI riser pinout? Maybe you can try suck power by more of those pins, instead from just USB headers?

Currently I'm trying Damn Small Linux greater brother, Puppy Linux - and it works really nicely, and full of useful software. Its X server recognized this thin client Trident acceleration too, instead of just relaying on VESA - just installed on CF, without problems - and loaded OS on RAM, to speed up programs execution (paying a little more initial OS loading time, at startup).

Please let me know if you'll find something about PCI riser of this particular model, thanks - meanwhile, I'm ordering a couple of mini IDE to IDE adapters, I've 2-3 2.5" HDD (40GB IBM Deskstar, etc) in my garage lab, to experiment with.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 41 of 45, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Does yours have the same issue with the power switch as mine? I think I'm probably missing a piece of plastic but no idea what it's supposed to look like.

I'm sure you can get power from the PCI bus, but without a pinout I don't want to go poking it with a multimeter too much. One thing interesting is that there are 80 pins on the board but PCI itself only has 62 pins - what are the other 18 for? (ISA has 98 pins so it's not that, unless there's some advanced bus-switching logic on the motherboard ... doubt it though.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 42 of 45, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

I'm sure you can get power from the PCI bus, but without a pinout I don't want to go poking it with a multimeter too much. One thing interesting is that there are 80 pins on the board but PCI itself only has 62 pins - what are the other 18 for? (ISA has 98 pins so it's not that, unless there's some advanced bus-switching logic on the motherboard ... doubt it though.)

The riser card in my NLX system also provides other connectors besides the slots, and connects to the motherboard via a huge edge connector (whole length of NLX mother board) to accommodate the signals for those connectors. So it's likely that the proprietary riser card for your thin client has some other connection abilities besides a PCI slot and doesn't plug into a PCI slot on the mother board, but a similar 80-pin slot. I have no idea what those additional connectors could be, but based on other thin clients they might be stuff like IrDA, extra USB headers, a power header for PCI cards that require additional power...

Reply 43 of 45, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kadath wrote on 2016-12-21, 15:46:

Puppy Linux - and it works really nicely, and full of useful software. Its X server recognized this thin client Trident acceleration too, instead of just relaying on VESA - just installed on CF, without problems - and loaded OS on RAM, to speed up programs execution (paying a little more initial OS loading time, at startup).

What Version of Puppy do you have installed on the TK3350 ThinClient?

Thx

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 44 of 45, by perhenden

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I installed Windows 98 SE with USP3. Works ok! Somewhat slow, but not horribly slow. Enabling DMA-transfers for IDE made a large differences.
Using an additional IDE-44 Compact-Flash adapter, I ran a cable to to the opening at the back. This makes it possible to easily eject the CF-card for copy operations.
I glued it in place using nano-gel tape.

DSC_0920_3.JPG
Filename
DSC_0920_3.JPG
File size
235.9 KiB
Views
File comment
CF-card visible (Duracell)
File license
Public domain

I disabled the secondary IDE channel in Windows' Device manager, as there is only one, and added drivers found on vogonsdrivers:

VIA chipset drivers (first):
VIA_HyperionPro_V524A from https://www.philscomputerlab.com/via-chipset-drivers.html

Trident Blade 3D/ProMedia AGP 8500 Win9x:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1871

RTL8139 network adapter:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=834

VIA 686a sound:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1363
(the '68' folder)

For DOS using the VIA drivers linked in this thread.

Reply 45 of 45, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. I have exact the same machine, but did not use it until now. I'll have a look how I can get some storage into that. I think I currently have only 30MB?

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines