Sound Blaster Prototype on eBay

Topic actions

First post, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found this while on eBay this morning.

Ebay Listing Link

I wonder how it would sound... how close it is to the final product. Shame about the price!

Reply 2 of 32, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
orinoko wrote:

Shame about the price!

For a prototype board not meant for the public, I find the (current) price pretty low.
Expecting a huge jump in the last few hours on this one.

To quote the auction : "This is the jewel of my collection and a very regretful sale."
I wonder what happened that made him want/forced to sell it now 😒

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 3 of 32, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's my auction. The starting price is less than I paid for it originally, if you factor in the exchange rate.

It sounds the same as other CT1320's except a little noisier.

Beegle wrote:

I've got a few things going on IRL so I have little time to play with this old kit any more, nor will I for the foreseeable future.
This card sat in my cupboard for the last couple of years, and I've done nothing with it. I think its time to pass it on to someone who might appreciate more than I do.

I'll be selling a few other things soon as well. I'll be keeping my complete retro rigs but selling my loose parts. Need to thin out my collection so it all fits in ONE room!

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 4 of 32, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gee, I'm sorry you have to sell that... 🙁

One of our other Australian members should buy that and document it well, on YouTube or something. We want audio demos!

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 5 of 32, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Somehow I hope Creative will see it, and buy it if they have their own museum of company history.
Second, I hope someone can make some good loss-less audio recordings of this card.
This card is not ment to be used on regulair basis.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6 of 32, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I hope it gets in the proper hands not to be butchered by the new owner.

Even regular CT-1320 seem to be very and I mean very rare these days (I have CT-1320A and haven't see any other listed anywhere), but this one is unique. I wonder how many of these are left in the world. One? Three?

Reply 7 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:

One of our other Australian members should buy that and document it well, on YouTube or something. We want audio demos!

Preferably some Australian person who has a whole lab available for retro-tinkering 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 32, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

Somehow I hope Creative will see it, and buy it if they have their own museum of company history.

I definitely hope that doesn't happen.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 9 of 32, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:

Preferably some Australian person who has a whole lab available for retro-tinkering 😁

😉 Hint, hint...

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 10 of 32, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:
That's my auction. The starting price is less than I paid for it originally, if you factor in the exchange rate. […]
Show full quote

That's my auction. The starting price is less than I paid for it originally, if you factor in the exchange rate.

Beegle wrote:

I've got a few things going on IRL so I have little time to play with this old kit any more, nor will I for the foreseeable future.
This card sat in my cupboard for the last couple of years, and I've done nothing with it. I think its time to pass it on to someone who might appreciate more than I do.

I'll be selling a few other things soon as well. I'll be keeping my complete retro rigs but selling my loose parts. Need to thin out my collection so it all fits in ONE room!

Well, the price thing was more to the point that while it is perfectly reasonable, I'd not be able to afford it 🤣

I'll be keeping an eye on your ebay auctions, sounds like you might have a few more gems!

Reply 11 of 32, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:

😉 Hint, hint...

Im in Melbourne, have a 'whole lab' set up, but no funds for this... hmm... my 30th birthday is coming up...

😉 Hint, hint...

Reply 12 of 32, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:

There was a time when I was desperately looking for a classic Soundscape but what happened to the int'l parcel costs? Last time I imported from AU to ID it was under $40 iirc (and it contained a Roland MT-32). EDIT: oops it was 49.5 AUD sorry.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 13 of 32, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
archsan wrote:

There was a time when I was desperately looking for a classic Soundscape but what happened to the int'l parcel costs? Last time I imported from AU to ID it was under $40 iirc (and it contained a Roland MT-32). EDIT: oops it was 49.5 AUD sorry.

Australia Post restructured their pricing recently, so shipping got considerably more expensive.
Plus I only ship registered postage which adds to the price, too much risk otherwise.

Reply 14 of 32, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

Second, I hope someone can make some good loss-less audio recordings of this card.

DonutKing wrote:

What else would you expect?

Reply 15 of 32, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What Chip is beneath the Ductape ?
i'm really intressed in a dump of the mcu rom :>

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 16 of 32, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The MCU is beneath the tape. I believe the ROM is protected - it just came up FF like every other protected ROM/GAL I've tried to read.

Reply 17 of 32, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are special techniques for reading protected MCUs.

Good luck with the auction, I hope it brings you lots of money as this piece of history deserves. I'm interested, but currently I'm saving for a laptop unfortunately.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 18 of 32, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
orinoko wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

😉 Hint, hint...

Im in Melbourne, have a 'whole lab' set up, but no funds for this... hmm... my 30th birthday is coming up...

😉 Hint, hint...

Umm, I'm sure the hint was for someone else. Like someone who has "lab" in their username even. 😉

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 19 of 32, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

The MCU is beneath the tape. I believe the ROM is protected - it just came up FF like every other protected ROM/GAL I've tried to read.

The MCU identify the part number under that tape? I am curious to know if CL was always using the same part number and made improvements elsewhere or were using more powerful members of the MCS-51 family as their hardware capabilities improved.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog