VOGONS

First post, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I recently picked up a really beat-up DX4-100 system from a flea market. The motherboard is a QDI manufactured part marked V4895P3/SMT V5.0 and it looks really nice (VESA, button cell battery, etc.) but unfortunately it is completely dead. The PSU seems OK, I've gone through all the usual troubleshooting steps: tried booting with a different CPU, different RAM etc, CMOS reset, etc etc etc... but there's no sign of life whatsoever. The drives don't spin up, it doesn't beep, nothing. Dead.

board1.jpg
Filename
board1.jpg
File size
441.21 KiB
Views
File comment
The old, broken board with cache chips visible
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

So I've written it off and ordered another, working motherboard, which is on its way to me as we speak. This new board is an M Technologies R407 E/V which after looking through old Usenet posts was apparently a really controversial board back in the day. Apparently some or all of the boards marked "E/V" have fake cache or a mixture of fake and real cache (they would have 0 or 128K of real cache but have a BIOS hardcoded to report 256K). But unlike PC Chips boards, the fake cache is at least socketed and the board should accept real cache if you install it.

From the photos of the board I ordered I can see that only half of the slots are populated, but I don't know yet if I'm going to receive a board with 128K of real cache or 128K of li'l plastic boxes with legs.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
319.85 KiB
Views
File comment
This is the new board I ordered, with suspicious-looking cache
File license

Now for the questions...

Question #1: the defective board has 256K of (AFAIK) real 15 ns cache. I assume I can just take these chips and plop them into the new motherboard? Here's what I don't get though: the CACHE TAG RAM. The new board has a slot for tag RAM right by the eight cache slots. On the broken board though, am I correct in assuming this is the tag RAM chip pictured below? It's marked NKK JAPAN N341256P-15 which is a 15ns 256kbit static RAM so I'm pretty sure that's it, but I feel like I gotta double check.

board2.jpg
Filename
board2.jpg
File size
308.87 KiB
Views
File comment
Is this the cache tag RAM?
File license

Question #2: if anyone has experience with these MTI R407e/v boards... Will the modified BIOS pose a problem when installing 256K of real cache? What are the proper jumper settings?

Appreciate any and all help 😎

Reply 1 of 11, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
einr wrote:

The drives don't spin up,

If you don't connect anything else to the PSU, but a known working hard disk (I mean really nothing, not even the motherboard, only one molex -> HDD) does the drive spin?
If not, focus on the PSU before tossing the motherboard.

Reply 2 of 11, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote:
einr wrote:

The drives don't spin up,

If you don't connect anything else to the PSU, but a known working hard disk (I mean really nothing, not even the motherboard, only one molex -> HDD) does the drive spin?
If not, focus on the PSU before tossing the motherboard.

Yeah, I've tried that, and the drive does spin up if it is connected to the PSU only. If I plug it into the controller card, there's no sign of life from anything. Only the CPU and PSU fans spin up, nothing else.

Reply 3 of 11, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
einr wrote:

am I correct in assuming this is the tag RAM chip pictured below?

Yes, that's the TAG RAM. Dunno if it's the correct size for your new board, though.

Weird that the hard drive doesn't spin up when connected to the controller 😕

Reply 4 of 11, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oerk wrote:
einr wrote:

am I correct in assuming this is the tag RAM chip pictured below?

Yes, that's the TAG RAM. Dunno if it's the correct size for your new board, though.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Does the correct size/type of the tag RAM chip depend on anything other than the size of the installed cache? I'm thinking I'll replace all the cache chips from the new (MTI) board with the ones from the dead board.

What about 32-pin vs 28-pin cache chips? Are they interchangeable? Looks like the dead board has 8 x 28-pin chips and the new one has 4 x 32-pin...

Reply 5 of 11, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

28-pin SRAM chips top at 32kB each (not enough address pins in a 28-pin package to use more) that's why you need 8 of them to get 256kB. They are pin-compatible with the 32-pin sockets but you will have only 4 of those so if you reuse the 28-pin chips the max cache you can get is 128kB.

32-pin SRAM chips due to more address lines available on the package can go up to 512kB per chip.

Last edited by stamasd on 2016-08-05, 15:21. Edited 1 time in total.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 6 of 11, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
einr wrote:

If I plug it into the controller card, there's no sign of life from anything.

Are you sure the controller card works?

Sometimes I get those symptoms on a working board if I use RAM that it doesn't like, or place the SIMMs in slots in a way that it doesn't like, or configure the RAM related jumpers in a way that it doesn't like, or connect a graphics card that it doesn't like. Some of these 486 boards are very finicky and you can't always count on the absence of beeps and other noises as guarantee of a dead board, although in your case that seems the most likely scenario.

Reply 7 of 11, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
devius wrote:
einr wrote:

If I plug it into the controller card, there's no sign of life from anything.

Are you sure the controller card works?

Sometimes I get those symptoms on a working board if I use RAM that it doesn't like, or place the SIMMs in slots in a way that it doesn't like, or configure the RAM related jumpers in a way that it doesn't like, or connect a graphics card that it doesn't like. Some of these 486 boards are very finicky and you can't always count on the absence of beeps and other noises as guarantee of a dead board, although in your case that seems the most likely scenario.

Not sure the controller card, or graphics card, or almost anything else works. I have no other suitable ISA or VLB cards to try, I'm afraid. The thing is, all the configuration (jumpers, RAM, etc) *should* be good since this was a fully assembled system when I got it. But it had also spent ten years on a damp garage floor, so anything/everything could have gone bad since it was last used.

Reply 8 of 11, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's always the most likely scenario. If everything else fails and all hope is lost you could try baking it in the oven. Some people had success with that technique, but personally I never tried it.

Reply 9 of 11, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

^^^ I've actually already tried baking the QDI board in the oven, no luck unfortunately.

Anyway, the new board arrived and the system works totally fine with it! The board came with a 486 DX/33 and 8 Mb of RAM installed so that's what I'm using at the moment since it's a known good configuration. Will update later to the DX4 that came with the first board.

The VGA card works, the multi I/O controller works, the hard disk works. It boots into DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 for Workgroups. Seems to have been someone's home computer, lots of Word and Works documents and even old scanned pictures of normal family stuff. System was last used in 1999. It's always kind of a weird feeling to dig through someone's old stuff.

Anyway, the cache issue. The system reports 256K L2 cache on boot, but that's what I expected since apparently all MTI boards do so, whether the cache is real or not. I transferred CACHECHK to the system and ran it. Got this output:

CACHECHK v4 2/7/96  Copyright (c) 1995 by Ray Van Tassle. (-h for help)
CMOS reports: conv_mem= 640K, ext_mem= 7,168K, Total RAM= 7,808K
Clocked at 486 33.4 MHz
Reading from memory.
MegaByte#: --------- Memory Access Block sizes (KB)-----
1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512 1024 2048 4096 <-- KB
0: 31 31 31 32 45 45 45 45 45 127 -- -- -- æs/KB
4: 31 31 31 32 45 45 45 45 45 127 127 127 127 æs/KB
5 6 7 <--- same as above.

Extra tests----
Wrt 41 41 41 41 42 41 41 41 41 41 41 41 41<-Write mem
This machine seems to have both L1 and L2 cache. [read]
L1 cache is 8KB -- 34.5 MB/s 30.4 ns/byte (401%) (142%) 3.9 clks
L2 cache is 256KB -- 24.2 MB/s 43.3 ns/byte (281%) (100%) 5.5 clks
Main memory speed -- 8.6 MB/s 121.3 ns/byte (100%) [read] 15.5 clks
Effective RAM access time (read ) is 485ns (a RAM bank is 4 bytes wide).
Effective RAM access time (write) is 157ns (a RAM bank is 4 bytes wide).
Clocked at 486 33.4 MHz. Cache ENABLED.
Options: -t0

So... That's good, right? Isn't CACHECHK pretty much impossible to fool? Do any of the numbers look weird to you guys, or is this a real bona-fide 256K cache system? Sure looks like it! 😎

Reply 11 of 11, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is one of many reasons to have a lot of spares on hand for testing but collecting these days is getting harder, it is possible that board might still be working and that it is being picky but it is odd that the rest of the system isn't working.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.