VOGONS

Another IBM damaged!!

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 50, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm afraid I don't have any experience repairing broken plastic other than glueing it together. It won't look the same though.

Reply 22 of 50, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The same happened to me recently, but fortunately the damage was to the rear of the drive bezel not the front, so it's not noticeable when the drive is mounted in the case. It does mean the bezel is slightly loose and prone to coming out, however. Annoying.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 23 of 50, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Those stickers only make them angry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gNNE-Ct2Qk

Hmm to fragile or not to fragile... this is unbelievable haha. I hope to avoid shipping any expensive rare parts because even packaging will not prevent damage from someone intentionally dropping or throwing the box around.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 25 of 50, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe it's an opportunity to build something unique instead of throwing the damaged parts away.
A retro wooden case with a 5.25 floppy drive with wooden front.

Attachments

Reply 27 of 50, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Miphee wrote:

I didn't want to open another thread because I just want to vent.
Got my AT case today with extras and the floppy drive came broken. It must have taken a nice kick to push the bolted drive into the case, breaking the plastic cover in the process. No way to repair that kind of damage or finding another front cover for a Mitsumi M90BCL-2. Luckily no other part of the case was damaged, not even the bezel. Still angry though. I just got my receivedsomethingbroken-cherry popped.

Oh man! I just scrapped that exact drive with the same bezel!!

Reply 28 of 50, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really dislike sellers that don't bother to package stuff correctly.

I once received a laptop that was sold as-is and I was planning on fixing it.

But instead of the seller packaging it properly, they has basically no padding in the package and the case was destroyed beyond repair by the time it got to me.

Then the seller had the gall to claim that it wasn't their responsibility once it left their possession. And then they started sending me nasty-grams on eBay.

eBay ended up refunding me the full amount.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 29 of 50, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the reply guys, I'll look into the repair thread.
It came in a very strong cardboard box but padding was indeed missing. I couldn't believe how the drive could be damaged when I saw no sign of damage on the cardboard box. I kicked it around as a test and I couldn't make a dent on it. It's that strong. Without padding however the strong cardboard was useless.

Reply 31 of 50, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another reason why I went with the IBM PS/1 over the PS/2.

PS/1 Pros:
Metal case
ISA slots
Easily upgradeable.
Non proprietary hardware
CR2032 Coin battery

PS/2 cons:
Plastic case
MCA slots
Really Hard to find sound cards for MCA
Proprietary hardware
Nicad Battery leaks known to destroy motherboards.

Reply 32 of 50, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem is that nobody wants their box treated roughly, so everybody puts FRAGILE on their packages, even when they're not actually shipping anything fragile.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 33 of 50, by VioletGiraffe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Miphee wrote:

I didn't want to open another thread because I just want to vent.

I feel you. But relatively speaking, you paid a small price as only a replaceable module was damaged. Is there no way to raise a complaint with the shipping company?
And yeah, I'm not the crafty kind, but I doubt that is impossible to repair.

Last edited by VioletGiraffe on 2019-10-04, 20:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 34 of 50, by VioletGiraffe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote:

The problem is that nobody wants their box treated roughly, so everybody puts FRAGILE on their packages, even when they're not actually shipping anything fragile.

How is expectation that a shipping company will handle all freight with care a PROBLEM?

Reply 35 of 50, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dunno about you guys, but I've had pretty much ZERO luck claiming anything with my local postals.

Two out of five boxes (apparently it was Amazon housewares day) just not on my porch, "must have gotten stolen -- we show they were delivered." To what address? Wasn't mine.... $150 down the tubes.

Another expen$ive packaged delivered from Canada, where shipping prices are shockingly high, plus customs fees, and it was again delivered to some other place, because the recipient said "nobody here by that name." Didn't call, didn't wait, just sent it back to sender.. racking up return shipping costs along the way. $160 in expenses and I still didn't have the item. Post office says "the sender has to open the claim." Sender's post office says "they recipient office says delivery was rejected." Both post offices in unison, "not my problem, sorry!"

So good luck with getting anywhere with a claim, especially if you're the buyer.

Reply 36 of 50, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Having been in the logistics industry the last thing you want to do is stick a FRAGILE sticker ob a parcel. It right away targets that parcel for abuse to some transport hands. Just make sure it is well packaged and the packaging is layered with a combination of foam balls, bubble wrap and foam packaging. Either high density foam or the likes of instafil which is used in aircraft engine crates. It's not cheap but works.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 37 of 50, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

I alway send a note with my eBay purchases.

Hi, Thank you for the sale. Shippers in my area are very rough with boxed items. So please package well. Item needs to be able t […]
Show full quote

Hi, Thank you for the sale. Shippers in my area are very rough with boxed items.
So please package well. Item needs to be able to withstand a 3ft. Drop.
Please double line the cardboard box with card board. Also please line with styrofoam sheets.
3-inches on all sides preferably. Also please wrap item with bubble wrap and fill voids with
Packing peanuts. You can find all this stuff and UPS store or U.S. Post office. Thank you.

You will be surprised how well a simple note works.
Every time I send the note. Shippers pack the items extra carefully and with lots of protection.

I know how you feel I have received allot of broken laptops and computers here is one.
A Macintosh Performa 575.

You can always open a claim with the shipping company to get re-emburst for damages.

Attachments

Reply 38 of 50, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yip. Unpack the item in front of a courier if you can and the will put on there deviry details the item was received damaged. It's easier then for the claim process to succeed.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 39 of 50, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could try to repair too.
Some JB weld should fix the cracked bottom.
As for the cover. Make a mold out of some clay to fit the broken piece,
Then create some sort of mold from that piece. You can fill the mold with resin for a temporary piece.
Then 3D scan the replacement for printing with a 3D printer.
Then just JB weld the replacement piece to the IBM case.
Sand and fill voids with filler. primer and paint.

Good as NEW.
Who is going to know ?

That’s what I am going to do with some missing parts on my IBM PS/1.
One of my computers has a missing flap cover. So I am going to 3D scan one and edit it with some really cool
Graphics and badges. And then send the file out to a 3D printer and have them print it out.
This way I will have a really cool unique PS/1 of a kind.

Attachments