VOGONS

First post, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello everybody, after taking a break on my retro projects i finally made my high performance windows 98 machine.
I installed the VxD Drivers version 4.11.01.0711.
In Windows 98 the native audio works fine, but if i run any DOS games i will end with no sound.
Even on DOS Mode(Exit to dos) i'm having this issues
My Windows 98 Settings are
CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=055,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

AUTOEXEC.BAT

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330  T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\ARQUIV~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb br,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\ARQUIV~1\ATITEC~1\ATICON~1

My DOS Mode settings are
CONFIG.SYS

[COMMON]
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=30
BUFFERS=30
LASTDRIVE=H

[menu]
menuitem=EMC, Expanded memory + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=XMC, Extended memory + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=CMC, Conventional Memory only + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=EM, Expanded memory + Mouse
menuitem=XM, Extended memory + Mouse
menuitem=CM, Conventional memory only + Mouse
menuitem=E, Expanded memory
menuitem=X, Extended memory
menuitem=C, Conventional memory only

menudefault=EMC,10

[EMC]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVERS\VIDECDD.SYS /D:OPTICAL

[XMC]

[CMC]

[EM]

[XM]

[CM]

[E]

[X]

[C]

AUTOEXEC.BAT

@ECHO OFF
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\ARQUIV~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\WINDOWS
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS
GoTo %config%
:EMC
:XMC
:CMC
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL
:EM
:XM
:CM
LH C:\DRIVERS\CTMOUSE.EXE /R2
:E
:X
:C

Reply 2 of 14, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:

Can you tell us rest of the hardware you are using?

ASUS P5P800-VM
ATI Radeon 9600 PRO
512MB DDR 400
80GB Seagate PATA drive.
Latest bios flashed and parallel and serial ports, onboard video and onboard audio disabled for freeing up resources.

Thank you for your attention.

Reply 3 of 14, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe try to reserve IRQ 5 for legacy devices in your BIOS. Does you games give you any kind of error messages or are they just silent?

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 14, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You likely will not get it to work on that 865 chipset. I played around with Dos audio on my P4P800 Dlx,
the only card that worked well was an Aureal Vortex 2.

Sblive dos emulation does not run without EMM386 which causes issues with games that don't like Emm386.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 6 of 14, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will check it out, thank you all for the answers. 😀

EDIT:
I set the IRQ 5 to manually and after SBEINIT.COM was executed in startup of Dos Mode i run sbeset -? and here is the output

ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ»
º Resource Configuration Program º
º for º
º Sound Blaster 16 Emulation º
º (Version 1.02.00) º
ÈÍÍÍÍ Copyright 1998.(c) Creative Technology Ltd. All Rights Reserved. ÍÍÍͼ
ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ»
º Current Configurations º
ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ
[ Windows Assigned ]
SBPort : 0220 IRQ : 05 LoDMA : 01 HiDMA : 05
MPUPort: 0330 JoyPort: 0200 OPLPort : 0388
SB Emulation: TRUE
JoyEnable : TRUE

Reply 7 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think I've ever heard of a case where someone has gotten this to work just by reserving an IRQ in the BIOS. As noted above, SB16 emulation in MS-DOS mode requires specific chipset features that your motherboard probably lacks. You should still be able to get sound in DOS games while Windows 98 is running, however.

Imperious wrote:

Sblive dos emulation does not run without EMM386 which causes issues with games that don't like Emm386.

The only game that is really worth considering in that regard is Ultima 7.

Reply 8 of 14, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

I don't think I've ever heard of a case where someone has gotten this to work just by reserving an IRQ in the BIOS. As noted above, SB16 emulation in MS-DOS mode requires specific chipset features that your motherboard probably lacks. You should still be able to get sound in DOS games while Windows 98 is running, however.

Imperious wrote:

The only game that is really worth considering in that regard is Ultima 7.

Even on windows i cannot have sound playing dos games.
I'm trying with Duke Nukem 3D, both Windows 98 and DOS mode i cannot have sound, note that the SB16 Emulation is shown on device manager and the resources are the same that sbeset has shown.

Reply 9 of 14, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Imperious wrote:

You likely will not get it to work on that 865 chipset. I played around with Dos audio on my P4P800 Dlx,

I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS on my Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (i875, just a "turbo" version of the i865) with sound in real DOS. I noticed that the SBINIT detected an IRQ of 255 in some PCI slots, didn't test much as the AUDIGY12 patch (Audigy 2 doesn't have it's own DOS drivers) woldn't load then. With a PCI IRQ of 3 things are working. Maybe the thread starter should try the different sound outputs of the card if no error message shows up when the TSR or game loads.

YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 14, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:
Imperious wrote:

I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS on my Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (i875, just a "turbo" version of the i865) with sound in real DOS. I noticed that the SBINIT detected an IRQ of 255 in some PCI slots, didn't test much as the AUDIGY12 patch (Audigy 2 doesn't have it's own DOS drivers) woldn't load then. With a PCI IRQ of 3 things are working. Maybe the thread starter should try the different sound outputs of the card if no error message shows up when the TSR or game loads.

Duke3D setup says that the card isn't responding and tne settings on duke3d are the same that sbeset output.

Reply 11 of 14, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
.legaCy wrote:
Kamerat wrote:
Imperious wrote:

Duke3D setup says that the card isn't responding and tne settings on duke3d are the same that sbeset output.

Duke Nukem 3D a good indication of you sound card works in DOS or not. Have you tried the card in different PCI slots?

YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
.legaCy wrote:

I'm trying with Duke Nukem 3D, both Windows 98 and DOS mode i cannot have sound, note that the SB16 Emulation is shown on device manager and the resources are the same that sbeset has shown.

Doesn't the setup utility for DN3D have some kind of sound test? Does it work there?

Try a simpler utility like SETBLAST.
Re: get no sound in MS-dos, but get it in win98SE

I should also probably point out that the Windows source ports for DN3D are probably the best way to play the game.

(By the way, SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS is very strange. You should probably change that to SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP.)

Reply 13 of 14, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
Doesn't the setup utility for DN3D have some kind of sound test? Does it work there? […]
Show full quote
.legaCy wrote:

Doesn't the setup utility for DN3D have some kind of sound test? Does it work there?

Try a simpler utility like SETBLAST.
Re: get no sound in MS-dos, but get it in win98SE

I should also probably point out that the Windows source ports for DN3D are probably the best way to play the game.

(By the way, SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS is very strange. You should probably change that to SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP.)

Yes its on dn3d setup utility that the error about the card not responding.
The audio on win98 games works flawless.
Its possible that some of the card components be damaged?

I will have less trouble by using one Creative Audigy 2 ZS on DOS compatibilty?

Reply 14 of 14, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was also setting up SB16 emulation this week and here's what worked for me.

Reserve IRQ5 for Legacy/ISA in the BIOS
PNP OS = NO in the BIOS (may not be necessary)
Disable all COM/LPT ports in the BIOS (may not be necessary)
Install SB Liveware 3.0 CD from Vogons (Several fellow Vogons recommended that driver for the best compatibility)

Everything worked for me beautifully. The only problem I'm having is with DOS emulation sounding a bit noisy/distorted, but it works. Win98 works perfect!

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC