VOGONS

First post, by batmreload

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have the above motherboard, but was wondering if anyone else was having a similar issue. While i can't speak for everything else on the board, the sbawe32 isa main chips seem to be running very very hot- almost too hot to touch. I dont think this is normal....or is it?

Edit: Tried it on another system, same results, chip getting almost too hot to touch. Sorry for posting in the wrong area.

In the se440bx system, i had 2 hard drives die within minutes of each other. Is it possible the card is drawing too much current and/or shorting the +5 and the -5 or -12 power rails? I see no obvious damage to the card, and no modifications other then a strange bypass on one of the upper chips.

It doesn't seem normal that the main chip would run also too hot to touch...

Reply 1 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This forum is for Windows games, not hardware. Ask old hardware questions in Marvin.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember my SB16 getting hot back all those years ago. Must admit haven't really touched my AWE32 now I have one, but wouldn't surprise me.
I would try it out this weekend for you but all my PC's are in bits at the moment, going though a bit of a reshuffle.
If it worries you it cant hurt to add a heatsink or fan or something, I do that on older hardware now anyway

Reply 4 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
batmreload wrote:

It doesn't seem normal that the main chip would run also too hot to touch...

Yes, well, it doesn't seem normal to try touching your cards.

I doubt you have anything to worry about.

Reply 5 of 5, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My SB16 also operated hot. I thought it was just mine. Good to know it's normal. I measure around 35c with an infrared thermometer.

I don't know if the Yamaha YMF719 ad AWE64 also runs hot. I should check it out.