VOGONS

First post, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys. I recently found a FDD image I took of the original In search of Dr Riptide game and installed it on one of my machines - the problem is I can only seem to get PC Speaker sound going - what gives? I can't find a setup program for sound either on the disk or in the installed game folder - but I distinctly remember playing the game with SB sound on my OPL3-SAx clone. Anyone know how to setup sound for this game?

Reply 1 of 4, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There isn't any, the game detects the SoundBlaster automatically. PCspeaker as per the readme is forced with -pcsound added to the command line.
Make sure the SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 is set before running the game, sometimes games don't like the space between BLASTER and the equals sign.

Reply 2 of 4, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

..... I'm not having any luck getting sound to work with my GUS. If I load SBDOS, sound works, the game stops taking any keyboard input. In windows it won't detect my YMF724, even if I add the blaster argument in autoexec or before running the game 🙁

W/O SBDOS it just plays on PC Speaker.

Reply 4 of 4, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

Might be one of those games where CPU speed affects ability to detect sound properly?

It's definitely a speed sensitive game - it's almost too fast on my 486DX 33. Never had a problem with sound detection though.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.