VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I recently got a asus nct-d motherboard and need help troubleshooting it.

Parts in use

2 3.6ghz 800fsb 2mb Xeon (have tested with several other cpu's)
Dell 7800 gtx
4x 1GB 1Rx4 PC2-5300P DDR2 ECC REG RAM HP 416356-001
650w sea sonic psu

The problem
The system will not post and the mobo beeps one long beep and 2 short over and over again.
If one stick of ram is in the first ram slot it will shut off after awile. If not there will be w long pause in the beeps and it will start back up beeping.

My post card gives a 31 code and f1 when on ram is in the system, but the beeps are the same without the ram.

What I done

Cleaned the contacts on the 7800 and reinstall it (no change)
Tried every ram opinion I could think off. One stick tried in every slot, 2 stick and so on.
Tried one cpu, different cpu's and so on.
Tested the psu (it's good)

What I have yet to try
Different ram
Different gpu (don't have ether)

any help? I order a second set of ram and a gpu to try. Just thought I'd asked in case I'm doing something stupid.

Also anyone know what jumper 3 and 4 dose? The manual says nothing about it.

Reply 2 of 5, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it's a video error of some sort. The one long and 2 short is a dead giveaway.

That said, for AMI bioses a 31 code is a bit different. I never can get a 100% concrete answer on these damned 80h cards. Each version of the bios is slightly different. That said, 31 is right at the start of video testing on most versions I read. This falls perfectly into line with the L-S-S beeps.
+++++++++++++++++
Also, reset the bios and try a regular pci video card. As for jumpers 3&4. If I was a betting man, I would say they had something to do with the FSB selection. Considering the placement. Take them off, see what happens.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 5, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I tryed removing the jumpers and nothing changed. I did ordered a pci card to test the system.
I also have read that 31 could be a ram errors. The board calls for pc2-3200 and in using pc2-5300.

I'm just a little confused that it would pull a code that about a card missing and not something else and given that I don't deal with sk604 system that often I'd thought I asked.

I should get the pc2-3200 ram today.