VOGONS

First post, by zackoftrades333

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So my old Slot 1 VAIO desktop (looks like a PCV-R553DS from the outside, too lazy to open it right now), decided to take a crap on itself the other day 😵 . I decided to build a replacement, seeing as VMs still aren't that great.

I saw somewhere that one of the last CPUs to support WIN9X was a Celeron 450 or something, but that is 64 bit, and was looking for 32bit so I could run DOS natively. Given those circumstances, it seems the Pentium 4 570J is the best choice? (Might have to either patch CPU sensitive stuff, see if I can throttle it really low, or just use dosbox at that point...) AMD switched to 64 long before that, so all their 32bit CPUs seem slower 😒 . Course, I'm going to need the patches for greater than 2ghz and all that to make it work, but that is doable for me. Also maybe dual boot with XP for the heck of it, even though I could run software for that on my newer builds.

Also, not sure about motherboard + other components compatibility and stuff. I probably would add whatever latest GPU, and maybe some Aureal Card, maybe an SB/OPL3 compatible (seeing as the AU8820 or AU8830 driver emulation I had with Aureal in the VAIO was not that good).

Any suggestions/commentary/advice welcome. 😀

EDIT:Apparently it was A PCV-R538DS, but whatevs

Last edited by zackoftrades333 on 2016-10-11, 00:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

64-bit CPUs are backwards compatible with 32-bit code; you don't need to buy a 32-bit chip to run 32-bit software, or DOS "natively". Assuming I'm understanding this correctly...

That aside, have you investigated yet what exactly happened to your VAIO? It may be worth it to try repairing it.

Reply 4 of 7, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright - first of all, have a look here:

Win98 Socket 939 Voodoo 2 SLi Build! (a.k.a. Glide Overkill)

That's a socket 939 Athlon 64 3800+ running at 2.4GHz under windows 98se. For win98se, you don't need a slow CPU, or a 32 bit only CPU - you can run it on anything as long as you find drivers for the chipset and use sound and video cards with win98 drivers (Geforce 6800 / Radeon x850)

zackoftrades333 wrote:

I saw somewhere that one of the last CPUs to support WIN9X was a Celeron 450 or something, but that is 64 bit, and was looking for 32bit so I could run DOS natively.

If you want to run DOS, you should go much slower - socket 370 is good for DOS + win9x 3d games. Then there's the super 7 platform, witch can be slowed down (using a K6-2+ or K6-III CPU) to 386 performance or sped up to Pentium II levels, but those are hard to find. Another alternative to a all-round compatible build is a VIA C3 CPU. They can also be slowed down to 386 levels.

If speed's what you're looking for, a fast LGA 775 Pentium 4 (like the 640 for example) + LGA775 intel i865 mainboard OR Athlon 64 754/939 single core + VIA K8T800 or ULi m1689 is the way to go (these chipsets have great win98 drivers). Nvidia's nforce 3 chipset has win98 drivers as well, but it's not as stable under win98 as the intel, VIA or ULi offerings.

zackoftrades333 wrote:

AMD switched to 64 long before that, so all their 32bit CPUs seem slower 😒

If by "32bit stuff" you are refering to the Athlon XP vs Pentium 4, the athlon XP is musch faster clock per clock (example 2.0 GHz Athlon XP 2400+ vs a 2000MHz Pentium 4). Rating wise, an Athlon XP 3200+ is a bit slower then a Prescott running at 3200MHz, but do take into account the fact that the Athlon XP runs at 2200 - 1000MHz slower then the P4. As for the Athlon 64 line, these are faster then their intel counterparts (LGA775 Penitum and Pentium D).

The AMD platform also has the advantage of lower power usage and much lower heat. My win98 LGA 775 build annoyingly uses up one of my 80+ PSUs (enermax nanx 550) witch I could be using on a faster machine, but it just isn't stable with anything else. I also swapped the stock intel cooler for a Deepcool Gammax 300 tower cooler since the CPU would hover around 65-70C in more demanding games. The 939 build on the other hand does well with a 350W FSP PSU + cheap Arctic Cooling socket AM2 cooler I picked up SH from a stores "old CPU cooler box" for 2$. As for socket A vs socket 478 - same rule applies - a 3.2GHz socket 478 prescott needs a beefy PSU and good cooling (I used a Tuniq Tower 120 to keep the CPU at 60C since it ran at 80C with the stock intel cooler) so it's a bit harder to build a reliable machine (but so satisfying). In contrast, a 3200+ Athlon XP will typically run at 60-62C under load (using a quiet Arctic Cooling Copper Lite socket A cooler) and a 350W 80+ PSU with good 5V rails is enough to power most fast socket A builds.

Regardless, both machines perform great, and can run all win9x games at 1600x1200 with eye candy all the way up.

KQxGyuBm.jpg Ozco6H8m.jpg

zackoftrades333 wrote:

Might have to either patch CPU sensitive stuff, see if I can throttle it really low, or just use dosbox at that point...)

For speed sensitive stuff you either need dos-box, real hardware (486/386) or the aforementioned super socket 7 / VIA C3 build. There's no other way around it.

Reply 5 of 7, by zackoftrades333

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Celeron 450 benches higher than any Pentium 4 in single thread according to all the sites I have seen and people said they have got it working.

Vs the 640 you mentioned:http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/282/Intel_Ce … tium_4_640.html

some site is selling them pretty cheap too.

I'm now looking at this site:http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/107001-compat … ith-windows-9x/ for motherboard and chipset compatibility just in case there is something better.

An FX-57 is 9% better in performance, but consumes more power (according to that cpu-world site) and have no idea about compatibility, so if there is anything better than that compatible that you can specifically recommend, then I'll look at some AMD stuff too.