VOGONS

Reply 21 of 40, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

No Post Code? Tried another Slot? Any beep Code?

I think it actually completes POST. Beep codes are normal. I will cycle through the POST codes on the POST card this evening.

On a cold start, it stops at the WAIT.... as seen on the picture. I can then reboot it using CTRL-ALT-DEL (so it's not completely unresponsive). After this warm start, it will display Press <DEL> to enter setup (/bios?), but then it is completely unresponsive, CTRL-ALT-DEL does not respond (reset button will of course).

EDIT: found some time for a quick check. No POST codes on the POST card (tried multiple ISA slots)

EDIT2: been experimenting a bit with cache chips and cache jumpers, but no difference...

1982 to 2001

Reply 22 of 40, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No POST codes shouldn't happen on this mobo - perhaps you have one of the address or data bit lines busted, that would also explain the hang. But do check if your test card is not set to XT class system (I haven't seen a modern ISA/PCI test card capable of that though).

Try booting without any memory sticks but speaker connected. If you don't get any beeps it's even more likely the address lines are suspect. D0-D7 on ISA should be OK if you get all that text displayed by the VGA card.

Reply 23 of 40, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deunan wrote:

No POST codes shouldn't happen on this mobo - perhaps you have one of the address or data bit lines busted, that would also explain the hang. But do check if your test card is not set to XT class system (I haven't seen a modern ISA/PCI test card capable of that though).

Try booting without any memory sticks but speaker connected. If you don't get any beeps it's even more likely the address lines are suspect. D0-D7 on ISA should be OK if you get all that text displayed by the VGA card.

No option to set the POST card to XT class (and it works on another 386 board just fine). When I don't insert any (or the wrong amount) of SIMMs, I get a proper beep error.

1982 to 2001

Reply 25 of 40, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, since the kid was sleeping I could do a visual check of the board. No visible damage. I also reseated all socketed chips and reflowed some of the worse looking solder connections (esp. keyboard and in the battery corrosion area).

1982 to 2001

Reply 26 of 40, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Visual inspection might not be enough. Use this pinout: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/common … SA_Bus_pins.svg
Check all address lines (but above all A0-A11 on the 8-bit slot part) with a meter set to beep on continuity. All of them must be connected to the same big chip, it's not important which one exactly or what pin. Also, check all for shorts to ground and +5V while at it.

Reply 27 of 40, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

I think it actually completes POST. Beep codes are normal. I will cycle through the POST codes on the POST card this evening.

On a cold start, it stops at the WAIT.... as seen on the picture. I can then reboot it using CTRL-ALT-DEL (so it's not completely unresponsive). After this warm start, it will display Press <DEL> to enter setup (/bios?), but then it is completely unresponsive, CTRL-ALT-DEL does not respond (reset button will of course).

If this is the case then it be to do with the FPU / math co-processor.

Either put one in or disable it!

Currently, your system is set up for one and is looking but cannot find.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 28 of 40, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386_junkie wrote:
If this is the case then it be to do with the FPU / math co-processor. […]
Show full quote
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

If this is the case then it be to do with the FPU / math co-processor.

Either put one in or disable it!

Currently, your system is set up for one and is looking but cannot find.

There is no jumper for an FPU. I also don't have one available at the moment. I think someone earlier said it is autosensed.

1982 to 2001

Reply 29 of 40, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deunan wrote:

Visual inspection might not be enough. Use this pinout: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/common … SA_Bus_pins.svg
Check all address lines (but above all A0-A11 on the 8-bit slot part) with a meter set to beep on continuity. All of them must be connected to the same big chip, it's not important which one exactly or what pin. Also, check all for shorts to ground and +5V while at it.

I tried this for two channels, but could not find a connection. I will have to look for some datasheets of the chips.

1982 to 2001

Reply 30 of 40, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nah, if you can't find any connection at all then the chips are using the '244, '245 and '373 (which your board has plenty of) as buffers/latches and that complicates things. You're unlikely to debug that with just a meter at your disposal.
There is some battery corrosion though so check this area for any broken connections, weird things happen when the CMOS/RTC and keyboard controller are not powered properly.

Reply 31 of 40, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deunan wrote:

Nah, if you can't find any connection at all then the chips are using the '244, '245 and '373 (which your board has plenty of) as buffers/latches and that complicates things. You're unlikely to debug that with just a meter at your disposal.
There is some battery corrosion though so check this area for any broken connections, weird things happen when the CMOS/RTC and keyboard controller are not powered properly.

Yeah suspected something like that. I can find the IRQ lines going to/from the SiS85C206. I have checked all the traces that seem affected by corrosion (it's not really bad fortunately). The multimeter says everything is connected.

1982 to 2001

Reply 32 of 40, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

... trust me... it's the missing FPU.

Bios or jumper, disable it... and you will pass this "Wait".

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 33 of 40, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386_junkie wrote:
... […]
Show full quote

Yes, can confirm this. I remember to also solved such issue with the FPU jumper in the past. Or the missing drive controller.
Dont think the board is damaged, otherwise you wouldnt have got such far.
Did you test your POST-card in another board?

Reply 34 of 40, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386_junkie wrote:
... […]
Show full quote

I have this as a top option, but I don't have an FPU, there is no jumper and I can't get in the BIOS. It would be a pretty weird design that the CMOS default is FPU enabled/needed?

The POST card works fine in many other boards.

1982 to 2001

Reply 35 of 40, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
386_junkie wrote:
... […]
Show full quote

there is no jumper and I can't get in the BIOS. It would be a pretty weird design that the CMOS default is FPU enabled/needed?

If FPU is auto-sensed... something I've never really seen before, and without an FPU, the Bios is the only option.

To get into the Bios, you will have to.... Re-set / Clear it with the jumper, every time you get a..."Wait".

Once you Reset / Clear the Bios with jumper, and reboot the system... you have to be very quick F1, F1, F1, F1... or whatever the key to enter the Bios, before it loads the rest of POST... and of course... "Wait"!

If there is nooooooooo way whatsoever into the Bios, then the only option is to install an FPU.

Reply 36 of 40, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386_junkie wrote:
If FPU is auto-sensed... something I've never really seen before, and without an FPU, the Bios is the only option. […]
Show full quote
Cyrix200+ wrote:
386_junkie wrote:
... […]
Show full quote

there is no jumper and I can't get in the BIOS. It would be a pretty weird design that the CMOS default is FPU enabled/needed?

If FPU is auto-sensed... something I've never really seen before, and without an FPU, the Bios is the only option.

To get into the Bios, you will have to.... Re-set / Clear it with the jumper, every time you get a..."Wait".

Once you Reset / Clear the Bios with jumper, and reboot the system... you have to be very quick F1, F1, F1, F1... or whatever the key to enter the Bios, before it loads the rest of POST... and of course... "Wait"!

If there is nooooooooo way whatsoever into the Bios, then the only option is to install an FPU.

I will try this a few times, it might work. Would still be really hard to work with this board but who knows 😀

I might be able to source an FPU, might take some time though 😀

1982 to 2001

Reply 37 of 40, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386_junkie wrote:
<snip> If FPU is auto-sensed... something I've never really seen before, and without an FPU, the Bios is the only option. […]
Show full quote

<snip>

I tried this a few times, but could not get into the BIOS.

I also let it sit at the Wait prompt for over 30 minutes, but no result.

Time to arrange an FPU...

1982 to 2001

Reply 38 of 40, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested with a borrowed FPU, but this made no difference.

Also tried with a different POST card (a proper old one instead of an eBay one). This gave me two POST codes!

At cold boot: 85
After CTRL-ALT-DEL: 4B

I also dumped the BIOS contents and compared them to a copy I found online. They are identical.

1982 to 2001

Reply 39 of 40, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another update! And finally the board seems to be working completely! Today I decided to look at the board again and to do some more de-soldering and analysis. Since I still suspected the problem to be related to the (little) acid damage near the keyboard connector, I removed the keyboard connector and power connectors. There was some acid staining, but everything was checked with the multi-meter and everything had continuity.

K1H9zqr.jpg
Filename
K1H9zqr.jpg
File size
1.33 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

After that I did a thorough visual inspection, and something underneath one of the sockets with the previously removed logic chips caught my eye. I removed the socket and:

IMG_20200123_130044.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200123_130044.jpg
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Luckily I have been watching a few RetroRepairs videos in YouTube so I knew what to do:

5B1JvQc.jpg
Filename
5B1JvQc.jpg
File size
1.24 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And after reassembly she seems to work a lot better!

fGpASrv.jpg
Filename
fGpASrv.jpg
File size
1.19 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

So happy to (hopefully) finally close this repair project.

1982 to 2001