VOGONS

First post, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Recently it's been itching to build myself a old retro computer from when I was young, pretty much got everything covered but as usual the devil is in the details.

Back in the day we had a 386 (33 mhz, 200mb and 4mb ram running W3.11) and 486 (66 mhz, 800mb and 8mb ram running W95 and quickmenu)(till '99). So I decided on something different and choose a p1 build from around '96-'98.
Mainboard: unknown
CPU: Intel P55C 200-233 Mhz
GPU: S3 Virge DX 4 mb
2x Voodoo 2 1000 100 Mhz 12 mb SLI
HD: Dom 8gb IDE 40 Pins (I cheated here)
Samsung 1.2 Gb
Powersuply: FSP Fortron Sgi-250 (I cheated here)
Sound card: AWE 64 Value

I got a old tower from someone although I am not sure about it being from a p1 since it was repainted: Clicky
Sound card is what I had lying around but want to upgrade no idea what yet?
My mind is kinda set on the virge cards for their compability, would it be worth upgrading to a GX?

Last edited by deleted_Rc on 2016-12-03, 23:06. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 19, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Case looks like a Pentium 3/early P4 era case. Honestly a P1 should feel right at home in there. The Virge DX to GX upgrade is not worth it honestly. Here is a great in depth review and testing http://vintage3d.org/virgedx.php#sthash.UTEmI2oR.dpbs the DX makes a great 2D card and the pair of SLI Voodoo's will pick up all the slack for 3D. Maybe a good SB16 or Awe32 for audio? Only chance I can think of. In any case sounds like a nice build and looking forward to pics 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 19, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would think a Voodoo 1 would be better for a Pentium 1 build. You need P2/P3 setup to feed SLI Voodoo 2.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 3 of 19, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unknown_K wrote:

I would think a Voodoo 1 would be better for a Pentium 1 build. You need P2/P3 setup to feed SLI Voodoo 2.

Voodoo 1 is more period correct, but Voodoo 2s are a little cheaper on average, and with batch files can run nearly all of the statically-linked DOS Glide games with the exception of Dreams into Reality I believe.

With a 200MHz PMMX you would definitely get some performance increase with a single V2 over the V1. Two V2s in SLI would be wasted on any Socket 7 machine though.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 4 of 19, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
ODwilly wrote:

Case looks like a Pentium 3/early P4 era case. Honestly a P1 should feel right at home in there. The Virge DX to GX upgrade is not worth it honestly. Here is a great in depth review and testing http://vintage3d.org/virgedx.php#sthash.UTEmI2oR.dpbs the DX makes a great 2D card and the pair of SLI Voodoo's will pick up all the slack for 3D. Maybe a good SB16 or Awe32 for audio? Only chance I can think of. In any case sounds like a nice build and looking forward to pics 😀

Tnx for the link, makes the decision alot easier as the upgrade would merely be "the name" rather then noticable improvement.
The audio card awe32 are expensive, maybe some nearby garage sales offer some included in a whole computer.

Unknown_K wrote:

what are you referring too, power consumption or actually fully utilising the cards to their full potential?

ElementalChaos wrote:
Unknown_K wrote:

Voodoo 1 is more period correct, but Voodoo 2s are a little cheaper on average, and with batch files can run nearly all of the statically-linked DOS Glide games with the exception of Dreams into Reality I believe.

With a 200MHz PMMX you would definitely get some performance increase with a single V2 over the V1. Two V2s in SLI would be wasted on any Socket 7 machine though.

hmmm, you have a point there although for now I will keep both of them in there and maybe change them out at a later date when I start my P2 project for the Voodoo 1. The intention for this build is that it should run old Dos games and run windows games under W98 (SE), so it should be able to run games like Earth 2150/Tiberian Sun/Dune 2000/age of empires II maybe even stronghold/Diablo II (stronghold will be close and diablo 2 might not be possible outright).
Besides that if its possible, its also for shits and giggles to outperform a friends pentium I build he build recently. and ofcourse the 1024x768 *insert random nipple rub emoticon*

Reply 5 of 19, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Richo wrote:
what are you referring too, power consumption or actually fully utilising the cards to their full potential? […]
Show full quote
Unknown_K wrote:

what are you referring too, power consumption or actually fully utilising the cards to their full potential?

ElementalChaos wrote:
Unknown_K wrote:

hmmm, you have a point there although for now I will keep both of them in there and maybe change them out at a later date when I start my P2 project for the Voodoo 1. The intention for this build is that it should run old Dos games and run windows games under W98 (SE), so it should be able to run games like Earth 2150/Tiberian Sun/Dune 2000/age of empires II maybe even stronghold/Diablo II (stronghold will be close and diablo 2 might not be possible outright).
Besides that if its possible, its also for shits and giggles to outperform a friends pentium I build he build recently. and ofcourse the 1024x768 *insert random nipple rub emoticon*

He is referring to fully utilising the cards. Realistically, even just 1 Voodoo2 would be overkill for a P1, let alone the added complexity of SLI. They continue to improve performance up to about 1GHz CPUs. Why subject both to use and heat if it isn't necessary?

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 6 of 19, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can just use one of the two voodoo 2 and it should perform the same. Yeah you won't have 1024*768 on 3D games with just one of them, but it would be unplayable otherwise anyway. You *can* feel some improvements with framerate on a pentium between the voodoo 1 and the voodoo 2, but it won't make the game completely smooth most of the time (on my pentium mmx 200, lego racers was a little bit laggy when using a voodoo 1 but payable whereas it was smooth with my voodoo 2, but it's the only example of game that becomes completely smooth with this. Otherwise, most game that could benefit from it would probably ask too munch to the pentium). So running two voodoo 2 in sli (oced to 100mhz ?) is definitely worthless, but just one is fine

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 19, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From my point of view a P1 is perfect for early 3dfx games at 640x480 on a Voodoo 1 which is what I currently have in one of my machines. My V2 SLI is in a Gateway 2000 tower with a P3-500 slot 1.

Granted Voodoo 2's are easier to source these days then V1's, I only have one spare V1 myself.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 8 of 19, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whatever everybody already said for SLI Voodoo 2 is very true. Your second Voodoo2 would be a wasted investment on a Pentium platform. It will only add an unplayable (CPU bottle neck) higher resolution, and nothing else.

For soundcard, I would suggest an SB AWE64. As far as I know, they are still relatively cheap when compared to AWE32 cards, and even better SB16 cards.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 9 of 19, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
ODwilly wrote:

Was taking apart the tower to clean it and came across the production date (I believe that has something to do with the CE mark): Clicky
It seems the tower was from 12-1996, a Task TK-430

Already took the tower apart and fixed most of the things that were broken or not to my satisfaction; replaced all screws to match 1 type, put small rubber rings between them to prevent vibration noises, superglued loose steel so they wouldn't start vibrating.

clicky 1
clicky 2
clicky 3

the only thing that still remains is the power button which I would need to fully repaint (for now its a fast paint job with car paint) and I need to look for a spring as the power button is missing one, already tried using one from a ballpen but those were to small of a fit.
The diskette drive is one from '97 which I bought the case on, also the seller included some cables and toshiba 32x cd-rom '98. So after I tested them I will refurbish and clean them.

tayyare wrote:

Whatever everybody already said for SLI Voodoo 2 is very true. Your second Voodoo2 would be a wasted investment on a Pentium platform. It will only add an unplayable (CPU bottle neck) higher resolution, and nothing else.

For soundcard, I would suggest an SB AWE64. As far as I know, they are still relatively cheap when compared to AWE32 cards, and even better SB16 cards.

Thanks, the Ebay AWE 32 are abit expensive. got a AWE 64 on a national selling website for a good price.

Reply 10 of 19, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am in the midst of building such a box. I have decided on a 1997'ish build for myself. I am going for nostalgia and compatibility with a few cheats.

OS: Windows 95 OSR2 - FAT32, DOS 7.1, period correct, lightweight, does what I want.
Motherboard: Intel 430 VX or TX chipset - stable, compatible, period correct, does what I want.
CPU: Intel Pentium 233 MMX - period correct, awesome. Either run it at 133 or be able to easily switch between 133 and 233.
RAM: 32 or 64MB SDRAM - I am leaning heavily towards 32MB of RAM, which is what I had in 1997.
Video Card: S3 Virge/DX or GX - Very compatible, period correct, both cards use same BIOS.
3D Card: Monster 3D Voodoo 1 - defacto 3D card of that era and I had one.
Sound Card: Yamaha YMF-719 modified per James-F for filter and wavetable - Almost perfect sound blaster pro compatibility, low noise, just great. Possibly toss in a SB16 too but not needed.
MIDI Module: DreamBlaster S1 - I have one, inexpensive, sounds good to me, was easy to find. I mostly use FM anyway.
Power Supply: Modern Seasonic ATX - has much better safety features for my precious hardware.
Case: a close to period correct ATX beige case.
Optical Drive: not period correct, just have color match case
Hard Drive: 120GB IDE drive - not period correct but compatible and plenty of room to store ISO files on.
Floppy Drive: single 3.5", 1.44MB drive - period correct, gotta have it.

Just my thoughts. Your parts selection looks good!

Anyone have any thoughts on 32MB vs 64MB for such a system? I didn't see OP list amount of RAM anyways.

EDIT: I like that case by the way.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 11 of 19, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
squareguy wrote:
I am in the midst of building such a box. I have decided on a 1997'ish build for myself. I am going for nostalgia and compatib […]
Show full quote

I am in the midst of building such a box. I have decided on a 1997'ish build for myself. I am going for nostalgia and compatibility with a few cheats.

OS: Windows 95 OSR2 - FAT32, DOS 7.1, period correct, lightweight, does what I want.
Motherboard: Intel 430 VX or TX chipset - stable, compatible, period correct, does what I want.
CPU: Intel Pentium 233 MMX - period correct, awesome. Either run it at 133 or be able to easily switch between 133 and 233.
RAM: 32 or 64MB SDRAM - I am leaning heavily towards 32MB of RAM, which is what I had in 1997.
Video Card: S3 Virge/DX or GX - Very compatible, period correct, both cards use same BIOS.
3D Card: Monster 3D Voodoo 1 - defacto 3D card of that era and I had one.
Sound Card: Yamaha YMF-719 modified per James-F for filter and wavetable - Almost perfect sound blaster pro compatibility, low noise, just great. Possibly toss in a SB16 too but not needed.
MIDI Module: DreamBlaster S1 - I have one, inexpensive, sounds good to me, was easy to find. I mostly use FM anyway.
Power Supply: Modern Seasonic ATX - has much better safety features for my precious hardware.
Case: a close to period correct ATX beige case.
Optical Drive: not period correct, just have color match case
Hard Drive: 120GB IDE drive - not period correct but compatible and plenty of room to store ISO files on.
Floppy Drive: single 3.5", 1.44MB drive - period correct, gotta have it.

Just my thoughts. Your parts selection looks good!

Anyone have any thoughts on 32MB vs 64MB for such a system? I didn't see OP list amount of RAM anyways.

EDIT: I like that case by the way.

64 mb SD ram is what I will be using, its high but not 128 mb too high;)
I will be running Win98SE although win95+ also has possibilities (Depends what I can get with original serial key)
most of my stuff varies in between 1996 and 1998 (tower '96, HD samsung wn31273A '96, mainbord '97, floppy '97, CD-rom '98, voodoo '98), I am actually surprised about how I was able to actually stay within my goal (the power supply will be new either AT or ATX, ill see how decent the ATX are at lower Watt's otherwise I will get a new FSP AT power supply, also the HD I will be using is a DoM 8 GB IDE so yeah:D)

Reply 12 of 19, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can find Windows 95 and 98 new/used on ebay. If you get 98 make sure it is SE like you want. If you go with 95 make sure it is OSR2, below that has no FAT32 and OSR2.5 has integrated IE in explorer like 98.

This is what OSR2 looks like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-WINDOWS-95- … PMAAOSwm0JYDfA9

It has USB support but not the integrated Internet Explorer / Windows Explorer

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 14 of 19, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Richo wrote:

Sound card: sound boaster v1.4

Gotta have one of these, maybe a Sound Toaster 9000 too... 😁
You can't go wrong with a Audician 32 Plus (YMF71x) especially when modified.

A Pentium MMX can do 486 and 386 with caches disabled.
Overall you got all the right parts in the first post.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 16 of 19, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Today I recieved my Mobo, memory and CPU. finally I was able to start assembling the build, only to realise after I was done and started it up that it DIDN'T work 😠
Tried everything except measuring the every electrical line on the mobo.
- different PSU (no effect)
- different memory (2x edo, 2x SD) (no effect)
- different CPU (no effect)
- 2x different graphics card and also the on board one (no effect, used a different PCI slot for the second graphics card just in case)
- removed everything redundant (no effect)
- different keyboard (no effect)
- different screen (no effect)
- different power switch (no effect)
my conclussion is a broken mobo, but broken where I dunno. Returning it as I bought it on ebay, not my problem anymore (its either the Caps or something else). I am quite dissapointed as I was looking forward for this build to properly work.
finally, first I need to settle everything with the seller (hopefully we can settle this fast and easy) and from there on I can start looking for a new Mobo.
My first idea of the Mobo was based on experience from friends who were had a few and were most satisfied with in generally asus and the sis chipset, but after that I have very little to experience going for me for the build I am going for.
what would be recommended chipsets to start looking out for?