VOGONS

First post, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

I recently picked up an Orchid Righteoud 3D II in a haul with some other parts. Sadly I'm quite certain it is defective.

Visually the card is on good condition with no defects as far as I can tell. Here's the same pictures in higher resolution: https://imgur.com/a/C85Uh

4cTOc60h.jpg

pbZfiH5h.jpg

I tested the card in three different machines with three different driver versions. They all behave the same way and give the same problems

The machines are a 233MHz Pentium MMX, a 550MHz Pentium III,and a 1GHz Pentium III.
The drivers are the FastVoodoo2 v4.6, Righteous 3D II V1.2 and the 3DFX reference drivers v1.0 from my STB Black Magic II cards.

No combination of these has resulted in the card functioning correctly.

The symptoms are as follows:

The information tab in the settings menu for the card shows 0MB Frame Buffer Memory.

lJwsXqvh.jpg

When starting a game the only thing shown on screen is an "artifact block"

XqlGzfIh.jpg

d4vBtkjh.jpg

The only result I found that describes a similar problem suggests the Frame Buffer chips are dead. There was also some results that describe an error with nForce chipsets but since all machines used for testing use Intel Chipsets I can rule that out.

So as far as I know the only way to fix the card is to replace the frame buffer memory chips. If this is the only way I'd appreciate if somebody could tell me where I could get those and how to replace them. If there is another way, please tell me!

Last edited by Hellistor on 2016-11-28, 06:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Dual 1GHz Pentium III machine
700MHz Pentium III machine
550MHz PIII IBM 300PL
Socket 7 machine, CPU yet undecided
100MHz AMD 486DX4 machine

Reply 1 of 15, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There may be fractured solder joints too, I would first try to reflow the card.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 2 of 15, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Paadam wrote:

There may be fractured solder joints too, I would first try to reflow the card.

Right, I completely forgot about that.
I'm a very cautious person, I try to be very careful in what I do. That's why I'm not much of a fan of the "oven method".
How would I best go about trying to reflow it? Should I go over the solder joints one by one with a soldering iron?

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 3 of 15, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, the best way to do it at home is to obtain a controllable heatgun with temperature display. Set it to 300c and use thin end and low cfm (so you are not blowing the components off). Also I would suggest buying some good flux (BGA ones are good as they flow well and have no ill effects later, like oxiduzing or conducting current).

Been using this method for all kinds of computer repairs, including changing BGA CPU on my Thinkpad X31. I wanted it to have low voltage Dothan CPU so I de-soldered one from X41 and swapped it into my X31. Result: both faster, quiter and with longer battery life. Here's the topic: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=101801

normal_CPU1.jpg

normal_CPU2.jpg

normal_CPU3.jpg

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 4 of 15, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for the help!

I'll see if I can borrow one somewhere, but this is more of a low priority repair for me right now. It'll probably be some time until I start this.

Can I send you a PM when I'm ready? You seem like you know your soldering.

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 5 of 15, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The most common problem i know with these cards are ''the legs'' of the 3dfx chips. They are sitting VERY close to each other so check them very closely and make sure none of them are shorting.

Separating them with a needle saved me a couple v2's trough the years as well as a v1. There are a lot of these tiny legs and a single bump during storage can be enough to bend some and these cards are stored a long time usually in boxes of hardware etc..

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6 of 15, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meljor wrote:

The most common problem i know with these cards are ''the legs'' of the 3dfx chips. They are sitting VERY close to each other so check them very closely and make sure none of them are shorting.

Separating them with a needle saved me a couple v2's trough the years as well as a v1. There are a lot of these tiny legs and a single bump during storage can be enough to bend some and these cards are stored a long time usually in boxes of hardware etc..

OH YOU GOTTA BE SHITTING ME!!!

b9J8Ewgh.jpg

Give me like 15 minutes. I'll report back!

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 7 of 15, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright, case closed, we're done here!

qk82zyqh.jpg

L6jdxdih.jpg

THANK YOU MELJOR!

If you hadn't told me I'd probably have reflowed the solder for no reason and still not have fixed the card!

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 8 of 15, by Api

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The cult of Voodoo has once again demonstrated its might by resurrecting humble servant. All praise 3dfx. May Voodoo be with you.

IntelSE440BX-2 256MB PII-300 Rage128 Voodoo2 SLI Vortex2 SB32 Win98SE
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe 1GB Athlon XP2400+/XP3000+ Radeon 9600XT
FIC PT-2000 P120 Matrox Millennium 2MB Orchid Righteous 3d

Reply 9 of 15, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I determined the framebuffer memory area and tried to look at it, but that was not visible from your picture.

But do check capacitor C55, just below memory chip U6, it looks like it is loose or something.

Reply 10 of 15, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jepael wrote:

I determined the framebuffer memory area and tried to look at it, but that was not visible from your picture.

But do check capacitor C55, just below memory chip U6, it looks like it is loose or something.

Whao, Thank you, I just checked them. I don't know if they're broken but they are loose. One of them just fell off. Do you think I can resolder them, or do I have to get new ones?

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 12 of 15, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jepael wrote:

I'd just resolder it. But, are there several loose?

C49 and C55 were loose, that was all of them. I just resoldered them. It was quite fiddly but now it's done.

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 13 of 15, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No problem, glad it worked out!

You got one of the easy ones right at a corner, i had a few legs bent right in the middle of a chip and one was deformed so badly that i was scared to brake it when bending it back in shape.
Card works perfectly ever since. Great job on the resolder, enjoy your card!

Reply 14 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hellistor wrote:
When starting a game the only thing shown on screen is an "artifact block" […]
Show full quote

XqlGzfIh.jpg

Now I know this case is solved, but the artifact you had been getting looks very similar to the artifact my Voodoo 2 in my K6-3/400 rig was having, except that apart from the one block of artifacting, it displayed and worked perfectly fine. The position of the artifact block changed as I changed resolution, so I always assumed it had to do with one of the memory chips.
I might as well go have a look at the card as it may have been having a similar problem, though usually I'm very thorough when inspecting my components before I apply any power.

And glad you managed to resurrect your Voodoo 2!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 15, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Now I know this case is solved, but the artifact you had been getting looks very similar to the artifact my Voodoo 2 in my K6-3/ […]
Show full quote
Hellistor wrote:
When starting a game the only thing shown on screen is an "artifact block" […]
Show full quote

XqlGzfIh.jpg

Now I know this case is solved, but the artifact you had been getting looks very similar to the artifact my Voodoo 2 in my K6-3/400 rig was having, except that apart from the one block of artifacting, it displayed and worked perfectly fine. The position of the artifact block changed as I changed resolution, so I always assumed it had to do with one of the memory chips.
I might as well go have a look at the card as it may have been having a similar problem, though usually I'm very thorough when inspecting my components before I apply any power.

And glad you managed to resurrect your Voodoo 2!

I wouldn't be surprised if it had the same problem, always worth checking. Let us know, would be nice if this becomes the' 'what voodoo2 did you resurrect today'' topic 🤣

btw the 3dfx card that seems to be the weakest of the bunch (for me) is the Rush. I have 4 of them now, one is fine but three are bad. One artifacts and 2 don't even display anything.
Is there a specific thing with the Rush that breaks or is it just random and bad luck? Anyone else had problems, or even better: fixes?