VOGONS

Reply 20 of 30, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The DOS software for that card is pretty shite, maybe the Win 3.11 drivers where likewise neglected? It's more of a Win9x era sound card in my mind.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 22 of 30, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

The DOS software for that card is pretty shite, maybe the Win 3.11 drivers where likewise neglected? It's more of a Win9x era sound card in my mind.

It does seem more like a Win95 era card. Are there some other drivers you recommend?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 23 of 30, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

It does seem more like a Win95 era card. Are there some other drivers you recommend?

No I don't I'm sorry - I've tried a couple of different versions to see if there's a better version for DOS but they're all pretty much the same.

For a nice sound experience in Windows 3.11 I go with a PAS16, which has fantistc software.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 24 of 30, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I looked those up on eBay - they are $100? Jeez! Not really worth it for just a test bed. My regular system has an ESS AudioDrive, which is fine enough. I am just wanting to run some tests with various DLC/SXL CPUs and various motherboards w/SCSI and sound to determine what the limitations are for each motherboard in this regard. I have an AWE64 Value I could try instead. There's also a vibra or two hanging around.

Reply 25 of 30, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This thread shows how you can use Mediatrix software with the YMF71x cards to initialize:

YMF-71x cards (OPL3SAx) software alternative

Reply 26 of 30, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
boxpressed wrote:

This thread shows how you can use Mediatrix software with the YMF71x cards to initialize:

YMF-71x cards (OPL3SAx) software alternative

Isn't that only the DOS drivers? My issue is with the Win 3.11 drivers. I can use the Audican32's DOS drivers in DOS.

Reply 27 of 30, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I abandoned the YMF718-S for a Vibra16, which is good enough for a test bed. All systems go. Not sure of the cause of the Audican's incompatibility with this board.

Reply 28 of 30, by terryfi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For those who still looking for solution, I followed the instructions on this page and it fixed the issue:
https://support.dynabook.com/support/viewCont … ontentId=107632

It seems that Yamaha software GM driver in Windows and Windows network stack overlap in some address range and can't get along.
So the trick is to disable soft GM.

I even had this issue with 36 MB of RAM. Memmaker didn't help neither disabling EMM386 .

Reply 29 of 30, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
terryfi wrote on 2021-10-08, 01:14:
For those who still looking for solution, I followed the instructions on this page and it fixed the issue: https://support.dynab […]
Show full quote

For those who still looking for solution, I followed the instructions on this page and it fixed the issue:

It seems that Yamaha software GM driver in Windows and Windows network stack overlap in some address range and can't get along.

I even had this issue with 36 MB of RAM. Memmaker didn't help neither disabling EMM386 .

Thank you. The information in that link would have the user do the following within the system.ini file:

1) delete DEVICE=VSGM.386 [I think you can also comment it out with a semicolon ;]
2) change CPLMPUBoth=0 to =1
3) change DelSoftSynth=0 to =1

Indeed, this let me boot into Windows 3.1 with my SXL2 and an Audican32 card, however I was unable to play a wave file. Simply no sound comes out of the speakers and no error is produced. On the other hand, midi files play fine. Did you run into this problem?

Reply 30 of 30, by terryfi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As far as I remember I did not run into any other problems. I was able to play MYST with working audio and video.

feipoa wrote on 2022-09-29, 07:56:
Thank you. The information in that link would have the user do the following within the system.ini file: […]
Show full quote
terryfi wrote on 2021-10-08, 01:14:
For those who still looking for solution, I followed the instructions on this page and it fixed the issue: https://support.dynab […]
Show full quote

Thank you. The information in that link would have the user do the following within the system.ini file:

1) delete DEVICE=VSGM.386 [I think you can also comment it out with a semicolon ;]
2) change CPLMPUBoth=0 to =1
3) change DelSoftSynth=0 to =1

Indeed, this let me boot into Windows 3.1 with my SXL2 and an Audican32 card, however I was unable to play a wave file. Simply no sound comes out of the speakers and no error is produced. On the other hand, midi files play fine. Did you run into this problem?