VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an Audican32 ISA sound card, which is based on the Yamaha OPL3 YMF718-S chipset. I'm using a 386 motherboard with a Ti 486SXL2-50 CPU. I am using the Windows setup file supplied on the CD-ROM to install the Windows 3.11 drivers. This installation file also sets up the DOS environment. After going through the installation, I reboot the system and receive the following error,

Not enough extended memory available to run Windows.
Quit one or more applications to increase available memory or restart your computer.

I do not understand that error message because I have 32 MB of RAM. How do I get this sound card working in Windows 3.11?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 30, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, what does mem /c report, when looking at XMS available?
What memory managers are loaded with which parameters?
How does the YMF driver uses memory?

Just having RAM SIMMs is not enough.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 30, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am loading himem with only the testmem:on parameter. That is all I am using. The other sound card I normally use with 386's did not have this issue (ESS Audiodrive). Does mem /c come with DOS 6.22 or Win 3.11? If so, I'll run this tomorrow when I'm at the computer.

Reply 5 of 30, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does mem /c come with DOS 6.22 or Win 3.11?

The /c parameter of mem.exe should even work with older DOS versions.
In my experience, sometimes you need a more advanced tool to display the memory map (mi from FreeDOS, manifest from QEMM etc.) but in most cases the DOS native mem command is just enough.

Programs and drivers that need a certain free UMA range or specific amount of free XMS can be a real PITA 🙁

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 6 of 30, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have that card, but perhaps the driver in question consumes too much memory ?
- Windows 3.1 does not only require XMS, but also a bit of conventional/UMB memory.
Please run "mem /c" to find out. "mem" is an external command and part of DOS..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 30, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Attached is the MEM /C result. Click for big. Any idea how to get Windows 3.11 going with this sound card? My concern is that the error of not enough extended memory might pop up for other scenarios which are not related to not enough extended memory, e.g. hardware compatibility.

Attachments

• MEM_C.jpg
    Filename
    MEM_C.jpg
    File size
    194.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 30, by GPA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only thing that comes to my head is putting
DOS=high,umb
and maybe trying loading
device = path\emm386.exe NOEMS
in the config.sys

I am not sure at all that it would help, but this should make some upper memory usable. If Windows doesn't like 30MB of XMS that you definitely have, maybe there is a mistake in the error message displayed by Windows, and it actually needs some more upper memory. Still doesn't fit as it was running before with the same setup, but might be worth trying, doesn't take long.

Reply 9 of 30, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm, so you have no UMBs, DOS is in the HMA... I seem to remember that if you're going to load Windows, it's better to keep the HMA free because it likes to use the HMA better that DOS. Try to remove "DOS=HIGH" from your config.sys and see what happens. Also, you do need to load emm396.exe for Windows to work. Try first to add "device=emm386.exe noems" as suggested above; if that is not enough, then remove the "high" from the DOS parameters.

If it still fails after that, use jemmex.exe in config.sys instead of himem.sys and emm386.exe (add "device=jemmex.exe" at the beginning of config.sys and comment out the himem and emm386 lines)

Last edited by stamasd on 2016-12-01, 11:30. Edited 3 times in total.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 10 of 30, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could you also try booting with only half the memory? Some programs will fail to work and crap out with an out-of-memory message when they see more RAM than they are programmed to expect. Windows should work fine with 32Mb of RAM, but I don't know about the soundcard drivers.

Reply 11 of 30, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:

Could you also try booting with only half the memory? Some programs will fail to work and crap out with an out-of-memory message when they see more RAM than they are programmed to expect. Windows should work fine with 32Mb of RAM, but I don't know about the soundcard drivers.

This was one of the first things I tried, but 16 MB didn't help. If I revert back to my old system.ini file, Win3.11 boots fine. My old system.ini file is expecting my ESS sound card though. Anyway, I will try what the others suggested.

Reply 12 of 30, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Adding DEVICE=EMM386.EXE /NOEMS after HIMEM did not solve the problem.
REM DOS=HIGH did not solve the problem.

I do not see JEMMEX.EXE located in c:\dos, nor c:\windows. Is it somewhere else? Note, I am using MS DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11

Reply 13 of 30, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Adding DEVICE=EMM386.EXE /NOEMS after HIMEM did not solve the problem.
REM DOS=HIGH did not solve the problem.

I do not see JEMMEX.EXE located in c:\dos, nor c:\windows. Is it somewhere else? Note, I am using MS DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11

Jemmex is not part of DOS, but of freeDOS. You can find it here: http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fre … 86/JEMM578B.zip

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14 of 30, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Before your response, I was able to locate jemmex from http://www.freedos.org/download/ and I coppied it over to the 386 system. After adding DEVICE=JEMMEX.EXE to the config.sys file, I now get the following error:

Cannot run Windows while the currently installed protected-mode software is running. Quit the protected-mode software, and then try again. You may need to restart your computer.

Reply 16 of 30, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Next, I included REM DOS=HIGH along with DEVICE=JEMMEX.EXE. Now I receive the following error:

A device file that is specified in the SYSTEM.INI file is damaged. It may be needed to run Windows. You may need to run the Windows Setup program again. If the file is included in another software package, you may need to reinstall the software that uses the file
pageswap
Press a key to continue

Sounds like something is up with the sound card's drivers.

Reply 17 of 30, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here are the files you requested. Note that remarking the cyrix commands does not fix the issue.

Autoexec.bat

SET BLASTER=A220 I5  D1 T4
C:\OPL3SAX\SETUPSA.EXE /S
REM Removed NIC C:\WINDOWS\NET START
cyrix -b-
cyrix -cd
C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $P$G
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\MOUSE;C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET LMOUSE=C:\MOUSE
REM C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X 2048 128
REM for TSENG 4000/W32I VMODE 65M
REM need to REMARK OUT THE MSCDEX LINE FOR WOLF3D TO WORK

REM for Mach64 SET ATI_NOEE_M64=C:\ATI\UTILITY\EEDATA.EE_
REM C:\ATI\UTILITY\CUSTOM.COM Q
REM for CD-ROM C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:ASPICD0 /M:12 /L:D
REM for ESS sound card C:\WINDOWS\ESSCFG.EXE /A:220 /I:5 /D:1 /B:330 /J:E
REM for ESS sound card C:\WINDOWS\ESSVOL.EXE /V:8 /L:8 /W:8 /M:0 /C:8 /S:8 /A:8

REM FOR VLSI CYRIX -F -M- -XA000,128 -XC000,256 WITH 1540C USE -B INSTEAD OF -F
REM FOR VIA CYRIX -B-
REM FOR UMC CYRIX -B- UNLESS USING ADAPTEC 1540C & SXL, THEN REM CYRIX -B-
REM FOR SIS CYRIX -F -M- -XA000,128 -XC000,256
REM FOR CHIPS CYRIX -E -F -M- -XA000,128 -XC000,256, USE -F- -B WITH 1540C AND SXL/DLC

config.sys

DEVICE=JEMMEX.EXE
DEVICE=C:\EZSCSI50\ASPI2DOS.SYS /D /P340 /Q11
REM for 1540CP DEVICE=C:\EZSCSI50\ASPI4DOS.SYS /P134
REM for 1540CP DEVICE=C:\EZSCSI50\ASPIBUF.SYS
REM for SCSI CD-ROM DEVICE=C:\EZSCSI50\ASPICD.SYS /D:ASPICD0
REM for ESS IDE connector DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\ES1868.COM /A:0 /I:0
DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
REM DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:Off
REM DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE /NOEMS
REM DEVICE=C:\DOS\smartdrv.exe /double_buffer

DOS=HIGH
FILES=30
STACKS=9,256
LASTDRIVE=Z
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS

Edit: I will resume this work in 20 hours. Any advice is appreciated.

Reply 19 of 30, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I already checked remarking the OPL3 driver in autoexec.bat and Win3.11 does not load. The issue is related to the lines in system.ini concerning the OPL3 audio driver.