Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

So I have a new system in the works.

2 6 core cpu's
32gb of ram.
2 9800gt's
2 120gb ssd's

For what I'll do with it a highend sk478 system would have enough power... I'm not crazy or anything am I? 🤣

So has anyone one else put together a system that's way over kill? I tend to do the opposite, I put a much older top of the line system together and try to make it compete with much newer systems.

Anyone have any cool stories out going over kill with a system or the opposite?

Reply 2 of 25, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It'll make a rockin' Zeroshell or DD-WRT router! 🤣

My Tualatin 1.4GHz setup is probably my most used Win98/DOS machine, using it to play Prince of Persia, Sierra games and Monkey Island is somewhat overkill..

Reply 5 of 25, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Get rid of those two 9800 cards, throw in a decent video card and you've got yourself a nice render machine or daily driver. Here's my HP z800:

pqfLMRvl.jpg
JEFPrakl.jpg
bZmpyB8l.jpg

2xXeon X5690, 48gb ram, Asus RX 470 and runs like a dream.

Reply 8 of 25, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't forget to pair these specs with a dream car signature image, and then from that on continue your posting history to be entirely of arguing over synthetic benchmark results on newer hardware and which paste is best.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSdfiVzmz50 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 25, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nothing extreme but my Barton 3200+ with 2gb ram, HD3450 and SSD used with latest browsers for web and office main machine and without any other faster system to switch to if I get bored, well.. it's enough extreme to me! 🤣

Reply 11 of 25, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow... where do I even start...

At first I run Crysis with Very High settings in 4k resolution and with AA on a 4GHz Pentium 4 Extreme Edition "Galatin" and GTX 780 Ti (+4GB of DDR2 RAM), then I did the same thing for FX-55 and FX-60 (both OC'ed of course 😉).
Then I turned to Intel old Dual Cores, and tested OC'ed Pentium XE 965 with 8GB of DDR3 RAM in "The Division", Doom 2016, and Overwatch.
After that went reasonably well, I tried similar thing on the first Intel Dual Core (Pentium XE 840), but let me tell ya - 4,2GHz ain't enough to play games from 2016 😀

Then I put Pentium XE to rest a bit, and did my "AGP thing" (E5700 @ 4GHz + LOT's of GPU's, and QX9770 + HD 3850 AGP setup), thread about the latter is here : LINK

Moving on from AGP to modern-ish things again (like Pentium XE 965 and Core 2 Extremes in 2016), I'm now testing OC'ed Athlon 64 FX-62 with GTX 780 Ti in few games (BF1, GTA V, Call of Duty IW, DOOM (2016), etc.). It's Hell (DO NOT do this).

At this point, I think I'm a lost cause (even Arkham Asylum probably won't help me at this point 😁) - 100% CRAZY.

PS. I recorded almost everything when I was testing something with GTX 780 Ti.

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2016-12-07, 22:55. Edited 1 time in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 13 of 25, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
keropi wrote:

Overkill with 9800GT vgas? WHY this old gpu?!

Yeah, kind of odd. I had them already.
And the CPUs are 1.8ghz amd opterons so 2 9800gt's make since there.
I don't really game much so yeah... Still overkill.

Reply 14 of 25, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:
So I have a new system in the works. […]
Show full quote

So I have a new system in the works.

2 6 core cpu's
32gb of ram.
2 9800gt's
2 120gb ssd's

For what I'll do with it a highend sk478 system would have enough power... I'm not crazy or anything am I? 🤣

So has anyone one else put together a system that's way over kill? I tend to do the opposite, I put a much older top of the line system together and try to make it compete with much newer systems.

Anyone have any cool stories out going over kill with a system or the opposite?

Yeah, my current daily driver. Totally overkill. Built it just because I can.

Well, not totally true, I do occasional renders of my projects in 3ds Max. But I've been in a massive slump for a long time.

Last edited by m1919 on 2016-12-08, 10:03. Edited 2 times in total.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 15 of 25, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As somebody who regularly uses DAWs and high-end audio processing software, I don't think 12 cores and 32GB RAM is overkill AT ALL. Of course it depends what you're using it for.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 16 of 25, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Don't forget to pair these specs with a dream car signature image, and then from that on continue your posting history to be entirely of arguing over synthetic benchmark results on newer hardware and which paste is best.

🤣

Reply 18 of 25, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
386SX wrote:

But these extreme old configs can compete nowdays in modern tasks?

The only thing holding it back is the 1.8ghz clock speed.
There I'm recall you could get upto a 2.4ghz 6 core cpu for lga1207 and I upto something like 3ghz for a 4 core cpu.

I bought the 1.8ghz cpu's are they pull 40w and have a max TPD of 60w. That and I got 2 for 4$, hopefully they will work with my mobo.

Reply 19 of 25, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
The only thing holding it back is the 1.8ghz clock speed. There I'm recall you could get upto a 2.4ghz 6 core cpu for lga1207 a […]
Show full quote
386SX wrote:

But these extreme old configs can compete nowdays in modern tasks?

The only thing holding it back is the 1.8ghz clock speed.
There I'm recall you could get upto a 2.4ghz 6 core cpu for lga1207 and I upto something like 3ghz for a 4 core cpu.

I bought the 1.8ghz cpu's are they pull 40w and have a max TPD of 60w. That and I got 2 for 4$, hopefully they will work with my mobo.

Yeah the only problem I see is the total wattage request when oc... 😵