VOGONS

ITX and Win98

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm currently doing a Voodoo 2 SLI build with a VIA EPIA CN10000EG. I have everything installed, including the SATA driver under Windows 98SE. Fully working, all drivers. (including DOS SB compatibility) Just waiting for my second Voodoo 2 12MB to arrive later this week. So far with just one card, benchmarks are looking good. 😎

Pj5X09Dl.jpg

s9iUDA5l.jpg

lChhfGEl.jpg

pCVm09Nl.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 21 of 30, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote:
I'm currently doing a Voodoo 2 SLI build with a VIA EPIA CN10000EG. I have everything installed, including the SATA driver under […]
Show full quote

I'm currently doing a Voodoo 2 SLI build with a VIA EPIA CN10000EG. I have everything installed, including the SATA driver under Windows 98SE. Fully working, all drivers. (including DOS SB compatibility) Just waiting for my second Voodoo 2 12MB to arrive later this week. So far with just one card, benchmarks are looking good. 😎

Pj5X09Dl.jpg

s9iUDA5l.jpg

lChhfGEl.jpg

pCVm09Nl.jpg

Nice!! I got mine purely because I wanted the rest of the system and wasn't interested in the motherboard, but I looked into it as I had it anyway and it looks like quite a capable board. What does the CPU equal in terms of Intel chips? And where did you get the PCI adapter? Mine supports this too! Finally, how is the SB compatibility?

Reply 22 of 30, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not quite sure on the CPU equivalent. Faster than a Pentium II 450, but slower than a Pentium III 1GHz. I haven't OC'd the VIA yet. For the PCI adapter, it is a generic 1 PCI --> 2 PCI riser with arbitration and clock sync. Since the Voodoo 2's hardly use much of the PCI bus in terms of bandwidth and power, it's plenty sufficient. Even though I haven't tested with 2 cards yet, I know someone who has, and it works out great. Hopefully my 2nd card gets here in the next few days, and I'll be able to compare benchmarks with 1 card versus 2, and also try some overclocking. So far just a basic run of 3Dmark2000 in 800x600 produced a score of around 1700. I haven't tweaked any settings, overclocking, or drivers yet. I tried 3DMark99 Max, but it doesn't detect the VIA processor correctly, and scores like 20 marks, reporting 1-2fps, despite it running at 60fps+.

PCI Riser: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?I … =9SIAEGB69T5993

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility seems to work with the popular games I installed so far, like Doom, Doom II, Duke3D, Wolfenstein 3D, etc. I'm sure there will be some limitations or games that don't work right though.

I also picked up another motherboard from Phil's Computer Lab recommendations -- the MSI MS-7199. I haven't tested that board yet, but it also looks promising from his video.

My Github

Reply 24 of 30, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sprcorreia wrote:

Via has ITX boards with Windows 98 support. I know this because I have one.

Yeah, VIA EPIA line, but many of them don't have onboard sound with SB compatbility, so you have to use Win98's default SB Legacy Audio drivers or VDMSound Win9x Alpha.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 26 of 30, by mrulrich

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote:
mrulrich wrote:

Hey, just curious, where did you pick up that MOBO?

Me? Ebay. It was around $25 shipped.

Thanks! And have you had any stability issues with it at all? No BSOD?

I'm curious because I'm working on a similar build and have had some significant stability issues, albeit with a different MOBO.

Reply 27 of 30, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrulrich wrote:
wiretap wrote:
mrulrich wrote:

I'm curious because I'm working on a similar build and have had some significant stability issues, albeit with a different MOBO.

Zero problems encountered so far.

My Github

Reply 29 of 30, by mrulrich

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mrulrich wrote:
wiretap wrote:
mrulrich wrote:

Did you run into any challenges with that PCI adapter? I've seen elsewhere that only the EPIA dual PCI riser card will work with the MOBO but I also can't seem to find one anywhere. Did you run into any issues? Could you share a bit about the configuration of the adapter you used?

Reply 30 of 30, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The card needed is called the "EXT-PCI", it's a VIA-specific board and I have seen them going for ~£30 on the bay.
For the SB-Pro compatible audio, you need to go for one of the really early EPIA boards with the VT8231 southbridge (they have Trident instead of S3 graphics - Apollo 1 chipset equiv).
These are the "straight" EPIA (5000 / 800) or EPIA-V (800 / 1000). Others EPIAs have Win9x drivers and compatibility but may not have the MS-DOS support.