VOGONS

First post, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Marvin vogons members! So today my dad and I were looking through his cabinet, checking out his retro storage mediums like 8" floppies and zip drives. That's when he handed me something I'd never seen before. This is a disk on chip, which connects to an IDE drive. I haven't researched it or really even know much about it to begin with, but we hooked it up in a P3 system just to see what it would boot to. Low and behold it booted to some kind of controller, which was locked down with a password on everything important. As I can't really snoop in the software, I'm going to be doing a dump of the drive to another, more easily accessible drive, and then sharing it here with anyone interested. Right now I don't have the time to get this done, but in the next day or so I'm going to get out a boot disk of DOS and find a tool to copy over the data to a hard drive I can easily access in my Win98 PC.

IMG_20170125_145318619.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170125_145318619.jpg
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The Beast 2.0:
CPU: AMD K6-III 450MHz GPU: Nvidia FX 5600 128MB HDD: 20GB (Seagate?) Mobo: ASUS P5A-B RAM: 512MB Sound Card: SB 16 PnP ISA OS: Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 4, by Jonas-fr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes those DoC/DoM are really cool and usefull when you're setting up a small retro rig. I'll be interested to see what kind of password protected controller there is on it so sure, share the data! : )

Reply 2 of 4, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These kind of drives are common in terminals, like the very popular HP T5720 which has a 512MB drive:
dysk_flash.jpg

As a side note, the HP T5720 has ALL drivers for Win98SE! The other thing is to fit 98SE on a 512MB HDD, alongside some games 😜

Reply 4 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, they are! ^^

This reminds me of two other threads.. 😀

Is it possible to replicate DOS-IN-ROM booting like some Tandy systems use?
Re: I have an idea... Oh boy.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//