VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Just wondering, I never see it here so I kind of think I'm the only one that has one.

Any one here have a PD-rom drive in there retro PC?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-change_Dual

Mine has of all things a stepper motor in it. makes for a slow drive but it sure sounds cool. Sucks at ready any disk with scratches.

Reply 3 of 17, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't imagine most people would still use these over a cd drive in their retro builds. it's neat , but compatibility wise can't accept anything that isn't a PD so basically all software on cd.

I've tried my best to eliminate all drives that use moving parts in my retro builds , replace cd drives with usb drives or just emulate the cd drive through software and have it run iso files.

Reply 4 of 17, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i saw, still kinda does not satisfy my curio 😀
was it expensive? i guess the media was? also you need to put a cd in such a box in order to read it? whats the access/read speed? is it a simple ide device? what does it sound like?
aslo can you get new media for this?

Reply 6 of 17, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well in that case to answer your question , no I imagine nobody has one in their retro pc.

as far as you being the only one here that has that drive. no way. One thing I learned here is every single one of us is a hoarder and SOMEBODY also has any bit of tech you may own. I wouldn't be surprised if someone here had a legit apple 1.

Reply 7 of 17, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emosun wrote:

well in that case to answer your question , no I imagine nobody has one in their retro pc.

as far as you being the only one here that has that drive. no way. One thing I learned here is every single one of us is a hoarder and SOMEBODY also has any bit of tech you may own. I wouldn't be surprised if someone here had a legit apple 1.

Hey! Who are you calling a hoarder??

(ok....maybe i am, don't tell anybody)

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 8 of 17, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
mrau wrote:

i saw, still kinda does not satisfy my curio 😀
was it expensive? i guess the media was? also you need to put a cd in such a box in order to read it? whats the access/read speed? is it a simple ide device? what does it sound like?
aslo can you get new media for this?

I'll get photos soon.
No it was not expensive, there are a lot of external ones on eBay for 20-30$.
No they read cds stright up.
Don't know I'll test it.
Yes there ide.
Kind of like a floppy drive crossed with a hdd.
No, and good luck finding old media. I got 6 or 7 diskes with mine.

The cool thing about them is that they work like a flash drive. Put a disk in and you can add/remove files just like a flash drive.

Reply 12 of 17, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emosun wrote:

I can't imagine most people would still use these over a cd drive in their retro builds. it's neat , but compatibility wise can't accept anything that isn't a PD so basically all software on cd.

I've tried my best to eliminate all drives that use moving parts in my retro builds , replace cd drives with usb drives or just emulate the cd drive through software and have it run iso files.

booo. original parts are the best. go original, or go home.

Reply 14 of 17, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, you're not.
The high-end Compaq DeskPro XL models seemed to have them as stock, instead of a regular CD-ROM player. So my Pentium Pro 200 (XL6200) has one. It came with a caddy for it, so I can also use regular CDs easily.
Looks sorta like this one:
210969-001.jpg
I guess you don't have that, which makes it difficult to get CDs in the right place. Wouldn't work with my DeskPro, because I usually have it sideways, like a tower (it came with a special stand for that).

My 486DX2-66 DeskPro (XL466) doesn't, it came with a regular CD-ROM drive.

Last edited by Scali on 2017-02-04, 20:56. Edited 1 time in total.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/