VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The board in question is a PCChips A101 v1.04 With an Award BIOS dated 03/03/97 and the CF-IDE adapter is the Hexin HX-168 with a Transcend 8GB 133x CF

With 3.3v setting the PC hangs before POST without beeps, with 5.5v it hangs before post but gives me one long two short high beeps followed by one long one short low beeps. I'm guessing it hangs during HDD detection. I thought it might have to do with the Award BIOS large HDD bug, but 8GB should be fine regardless. I have a 120GB I could use with this system but I guess that would cause a lot more problems than a CF card.. I should probably find a 20GB drive to buy?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 20, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

According to my little booklet, for the Award bios the codes mean this:

1 long - 2 short = Video Error. Cannot initialize Screen to Display Any information [sic]
1 long - 1 short = RAM or motherboard error.

For a Phoenix bios:

1 - 2 - 1 - 1 = Initialize Power Management

Very helpful, I'm sure. Don't know how accurate - it doesn't mention anything about high notes or low notes.

Reply 2 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the one hand VGA initialization error makes sense because I get nothing on the monitor.. On the other hand it makes no sense because everything works once I remove the adapter from the IDE port?

Ordered an 8.4GB Seagate drive, so eh.. Weird stuff, really.

Reply 3 of 20, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

On the one hand VGA initialization error makes sense because I get nothing on the monitor.. On the other hand it makes no sense because everything works once I remove the adapter from the IDE port?

i remember friend of mine having similar issues, cant boot if both VGA & IDE-HDD was present, but it able to boot if one of them are removed.
he resolves it:
- remove the HDD
- moving the vga card into another pci slot
- reset ESCDI
- mount the HDD again.

Last edited by Joey_sw on 2017-03-12, 09:12. Edited 1 time in total.

-fffuuu

Reply 4 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joey_sw wrote:
i remember friend of mine having similar issues, cant boot if both VGA & IDE-HDD was present, but it able to boot if one of them […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:

i remember friend of mine having similar issues, cant boot if both VGA & IDE-HDD was present, but it able to boot if one of them are removed.
he resolves it:
- remove the HDD
- moing the vga card into another pci slot
- reset ESCDI
- mount the HDD again.

Most interesting I will move the pci soundcard and try this though the voodoo2 placement kind of limits things due to the intemediary cabke being a pita to use with adjacent slots..

Hiwever resetting escdi lost me. A google search fir the suggestion returned nothing. How is this magic done?

Reply 5 of 20, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

However resetting escdi lost me. A google search fir the suggestion returned nothing. How is this magic done?

Sorry about that, its wrong shortening, what i mean is reseting ESCD Information.
http://www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/escd.htm

A 1997 Award BIOS, should've something called: "Reset configuration data" (not to be confused with load bios default settings) in the BIOS settings.
That was used for reseting the ESCD information

-fffuuu

Reply 6 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll try this, although currently there's no BIOS battery on the board so I doubt ESCD info is getting saved in the first place (which might be the main issue here, as I get CMOS checksum error, battery failure at every boot).

Also, from what you linked:

ESCD (Extended System Configuration Data)

At times the Extended System Configuration Data update will fail in the BIOS as the system boots. The problem occurs with AMI and Award BIOS versions that used a poor method to prevent using compressed BIOS code while updating ESCD (Extended System Configuration Data) memory area in the BIOS. This has, for the most part, been eliminated in the PnP Bios releases.

Most generally, those computers equipped with the OverDrive® processor diagnostics will verify this before the installation of the OverDrive processor as it checks to see if the ESCD addresses are being aliased to the 4 GB memory range.

I am using a Pentium Overdrive 166 MHz at the moment.. So that might be relevant?

Reply 7 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I moved the cards updated the escd plugged in the idecf an now I just get the one long two short beeps. No more lower note beeps.

I think I know whats happening. ESCD gets updated but then I power off and since there is no cmos battery the new ESCD info gets wiped when I install the IDECF and I cant get it to post. Iy probably expects vga in PCI1 by default but it was in PCI4 and now is in PCI5.

Ill have a battery for the board tomorrow. I have a feeling all will be fine afterwards.

In the meantime during one of my boot attempts I got a strange continuous beeping with garbled text scrolling on the screen. I caught glimpse of NCR Corporation at some point. A hard reset fixed it. Booting without battery gives me CMOS checksum errors.. I hope the bios is well and the board is ok..

Reply 8 of 20, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a similar issue with a CF-IDE adapter on an ISA card (FYI the post title says IDE-FC which is an IDE to SCSI Fibre Channel adapter, very different to CF-IDE!) I never resolved the problem as I switched to an IDE to SD-card adapter, but there was some issue with the card connecting some signal that wasn't expected on older IDE adapters. There was a big thread on one of the other vintage PC forums where someone came up with the fix which involved something like removing a pin from the IDE socket, but I can't remember what the fix actually was now.

Reply 9 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nothing I did fixed the issue so I bought a 8.4gb IDE HDD instead. I think the board is 40pin standard ide and the CF adapter only works with 80pin UATA standard or something. At least it works now!

Reply 10 of 20, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I understand it seems completely illogical, but once I had a similar issue with exactly the same CF adapter and card: on a specific motherboard, plugging the adapter directly to the IDE connector caused beeping as there's no VGA installed. I solved it by using a HDD cable and connecting a different (male) adapter to it, one of those that go to the slots and make the card accessible from outside the case. Yeah I know it makes no sense but still it's true 😀

Reply 11 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote:

I understand it seems completely illogical, but once I had a similar issue with exactly the same CF adapter and card: on a specific motherboard, plugging the adapter directly to the IDE connector caused beeping as there's no VGA installed. I solved it by using a HDD cable and connecting a different (male) adapter to it, one of those that go to the slots and make the card accessible from outside the case. Yeah I know it makes no sense but still it's true 😀

Whaat? That would require a female to male IDE ribbon cable though, wouldn't it? Where did you sorce this sorcery? I would be totally baffled if this were the case.

Reply 12 of 20, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
konc wrote:

Whaat? That would require a female to male IDE ribbon cable though, wouldn't it? Where did you sorce this sorcery? I would be totally baffled if this were the case.

No, a normal HDD cable with a male adapter, something like those
http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_0711_1.jpg
https://images.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/27851.jpg

Reply 13 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok the cable you describe is exactly what I was wondering where to find - never saw anything of the kind.

On the other hand, I may as well just buy a different CF-IDE adapter at some point.. For the moment, a real HDD will do the job. Not like I'd get lightning fast speeds from a CF-IDE over ATA-33 on a P166MMX in the first place, I just didn't want to deal with a 20 year old mechanical drive.

Reply 14 of 20, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Ok the cable you describe is exactly what I was wondering where to find - never saw anything of the kind.

May be I didn't phrase it well: Just a normal HDD cable.

Which you will connect to a male CF adapter.

Reply 15 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

May be I didn't phrase it well: Just a normal HDD cable.

Which you will connect to a male CF adapter.

Ok, ok, I get it now, the adapter I have now is a lost cause 😀 With this board anyway.

Reply 16 of 20, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
konc wrote:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/OPEN-SMART-Fle … 51-b567ab6fa22c

HTB1UKdPD3aTBuNjSszfq6xgfpXaU.jpg

🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 17 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tayyare wrote:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/OPEN-SMART-Fle … 51-b567ab6fa22c […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:
konc wrote:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/OPEN-SMART-Fle … 51-b567ab6fa22c

HTB1UKdPD3aTBuNjSszfq6xgfpXaU.jpg

🤣

Fantastic. Ordered. 😎

Reply 18 of 20, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Fantastic. Ordered. 😎

You maybe could just use one of these and a regular IDE cable:
https://www.delock.de/produkte/G_65090/merkma … ?setLanguage=en

I used those to connect a DOM to IDE cables because I wanted to use more than one (those DOMs had master/slave switches but of course were still intended to be directly connected to the motherboard's IDE connector).

END OF LINE.

Reply 19 of 20, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Fantastic. Ordered. 😎

I use them regularly as extenders when IDE cables' length is not enough. Back panel CF adapters and CDs on the same channel/cable is challenging even in an AT minitower midget case. 34-pin (floppy) version is also available.

There is also this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-pcs-0-100-2- … .1ec64c4dUlMmvo

and this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LY-214-IDC-CR … .2efe3c00AF9Xxz

...and as a lazy but flexible alternative:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dupont-Line-40 … .1ec64c4dUlMmvo

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160