VOGONS

First post, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello to everyone.

Recently I found on the basement, my baby at case with a socket 7 motherboard. It's been stored since 2004.

The system can't post even checking with Pentium MMx 233 MHz and AMD K6-2 450 MHz. Last time the system worked had the K6 installed.

Dimm is fine because it works with my celeron system and it is a PC100. The GPUs are the Voodoo 3 and the S3 Trio 3D/2X both for AGP slot.

The motherboard is the Shuttle HOT-591P.

All the chipsets are getting hot, so I think there's no issue about faulty hardware, the cpu cooler is connected to psu with molex connector. I've played with the jumpers and the system clock with no luck, previously the system was set up for the K6-2.

When the system switched on the system beeps continuously, sometimes it takes time for the first beep, like it may post.

Any ideas?

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!

Reply 1 of 11, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few things to begin with:

- Remove the CMOS battery, and try to boot the computer. A dead battery can make the computer behave strangely, if it boots with the battery removed, there's the problem. It should be replaced after 13 years of storage in any case. If it's one of those boards with a RTC module with built in battery, you'll have to order a new one and replace it, or do a battery mod on the existing one.

- Remove and re-seat everything that you can. CPU, RAM, add-in cards, cables, BIOS module, etc. Do it a few times to wear down eventual oxide layers. 13 years in a damp basement will almost infallibly cause some oxidation to metal parts.

Reply 2 of 11, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I second the suggestion to replace the battery. I have a socket 7 system that didn't go past the initial bios screen or even detect hard drives correctly with a dead battery. Replacing it fixed that.

Reply 3 of 11, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I checked with new battery, with the Virge DX PCI and an atx psu from my celeron DOS build with no luck.

Maybe the cpus are dead, because I didn't stored them properly.

Reply 4 of 11, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JSO wrote:

Maybe the cpus are dead, because I didn't stored them properly.

That's very unlikely.

Are you configuring the jumpers correctly for the new CPUs you're testing the board with?

Last edited by devius on 2017-04-19, 12:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 11, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think that don't die that easily... But... You never know.

Yes I setting up correctly the jumper settings according to the manual.

Recently I bought from ebay for 30 euros another board with ram and cpu. It's the Asus P5SVM with a Pentium 100 installed and 64 MB RAM. I will test the cpus on this board. The bad thing is that it isn't for baby at case and I've already send the case for painting and I cleared the yellow color from the plastics.

Reply 8 of 11, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've seen CPUs in very poor shape/stored pretty badly and none of them were dead. The only dead CPUs I've got are my fault (never insert a 486 the wrong way 🙁 ) ... okay maybe one Core 2 Duo that died mysteriously, but that's the only one I've got that died that way. I even have a cyrix CPU with a missing pin that works perfectly. The same can't be said to the motherboards unfortunately ... I've got a PCChips M912 that is in perfect shape but that doesn't give any sign of life at all, except that the CPU is heating up, but my POST card doesn't show any POST code. Some of my socket 7 are dead too for no reason. I managed to save only one socket 7 board (the ATC 5030). It's problem was that for some reasons the BIOS rom chip is completely toasted : Uniflash can't detect it at all. I also have got a socket 7 board that intermitently works half way and the other time doesn't work at all, and I can't figure out why 🙁.

I don't want to discourage you, but motherboards tend to fail way more often than CPUs do. Maybe you should check if the CPU is heating up. If you had a POST card, you could know if the CPU starts up or not. This helped me a lot with the ATC5030 because even though it's bios was dead, the CPU was starting up

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 9 of 11, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes I've checked the motherboard with an ATX PSU.

The capacitors are fine.

I can't remember when I stored this board and replacing it with a Socket A and Athlon 2400+ XP was because of some kind of malfunction or issues.

When the new board with ram and cpu will arrive I will make again some tests and I will remove the eeprom chip to reseat it again.

Reply 10 of 11, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roman78 wrote:

CPU's don't die that easy...

Maybe time for a PC-Diagnostic card, i got one of those for less than 10 bugs on ebay.

Only 10 bugs for hundreds of bugs you can detect with it... Very nice investment, indeed 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000