VOGONS

First post, by AppleDash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there, I have a socket 7 motherboard with Award BIOS (Pretty sure it's this one: http://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/m/P-R/33984.htm ). For some reason I can only get it to properly detect a 528MB drive (have one as the primary) - when I enter the CHS values from a bigger (secondary) drive, it just shows up as some random value around 1GB (the drive in question is 3.6GB.) I have LBA as an option for the drive type, but when I select LBA, it doesn't let me change the values for CHS - it just puts in its own (random and incorrect) ones. In addition, if I just let it auto-detect the bigger drive, it does so, but upon entering Windows 95, the OS hangs on launching Windows Explorer. Removing the second drive fixes the hang. What can I do to fix/troubleshoot this? Thanks!

Main retro system: Am486 DX4 100MHz | 128K cache | 16MB RAM | VLB Mach32 | Sound Blaster 16 | HardMPU w/ MT-32 or SC-55 | MS-DOS 6.22; no Windows

Reply 2 of 12, by AppleDash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Small one is a WD, large is a Fujitsu. Why would the brand and channels matter? Also, when I had just the large as the only drive as the primary master, it didn't detect it properly either - it showed as like 1GB in the BIOS but DOS/Windows installer only saw it as 200MB or so.

Main retro system: Am486 DX4 100MHz | 128K cache | 16MB RAM | VLB Mach32 | Sound Blaster 16 | HardMPU w/ MT-32 or SC-55 | MS-DOS 6.22; no Windows

Reply 3 of 12, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AppleDash wrote:

Why would the brand and channels matter?

Your WD HDD is from the time when IDE HDDs were limited to 528MB and used slow PIO transfer mode generally, while newer Fujitsu uses UDMA, if you will connect both HDDs on the same cable, Fujitsu will have to accommodate to the slower transfer mode. This is why connecting optical drive and HDD on the same cable is not recommended. That alone might cause issues with some systems + jumper settings for master/slave must be accurate on both HDDs then.

Fujitsus are the worst HDDs from that time, known for high failure rates and poor performance, I'm not surprised that you can't make it work properly. HDD has to be configured so that it could be detected automatically, setting geometry manually will give no results if drive is not recognized correctly in the first place.

Connect just Fujitsu on pri IDE channel and try all jumper settings just so that it could be correctly detected at least, also, use IDE cable that you are 100% sure that is good.

If it still cannot be detected correctly, check if other PCs can detect it, if same thing happens, you got yourself a typical Fujishitsu 🤣

Reply 5 of 12, by AppleDash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The drive is never correctly detected on the socket 7 system - it is always detected wrong, and auto-detect on POST sees the drive but Windows hangs with the drive present. I've tried all jumper settings, and as it is now they are properly configured. The PIO thing is interesting - I didn't consider that. I'd love to just use the Fujitsu as the only drive, but as I said it wasn't working properly earlier and now I don't want to re-install Windows. I'm fine with slow speeds if I can make it work at the right size. The drive is perfectly fine - auto-detects as the right size on a Pentium 4 machine, and I have run a surface scan (as I do with all my drives) and there are no bad sectors and the performance is reasonable. It's not the drive. I'm going to try with a 40GB Maxtor drive as the primary slave and see if that works or not.

Reply 6 of 12, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AppleDash wrote:

The drive is never correctly detected on the socket 7 system - it is always detected wrong

Compare its geometry given on HDD case (CHS) with geometry that is being detected in BIOS, if numbers do match, then it's detected correctly at this point.

AppleDash wrote:

auto-detect on POST sees the drive but Windows hangs with the drive present

Which tool did you use to create file system (partition) and which Win version did you install on that ancient WD drive?

AppleDash wrote:

I'm going to try with a 40GB Maxtor drive as the primary slave and see if that works or not.

No chance, you need to mod/update BIOS for that mobo to support larger than 8GB drives.

Reply 7 of 12, by AppleDash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SSTV2 wrote:
Compare its geometry given on HDD case (CHS) with geometry that is being detected in BIOS, if numbers do match, then it's detect […]
Show full quote
AppleDash wrote:

The drive is never correctly detected on the socket 7 system - it is always detected wrong

Compare its geometry given on HDD case (CHS) with geometry that is being detected in BIOS, if numbers do match, then it's detected correctly at this point.

AppleDash wrote:

auto-detect on POST sees the drive but Windows hangs with the drive present

Which tool did you use to create file system (partition) and which Win version did you install on that ancient WD drive?

AppleDash wrote:

I'm going to try with a 40GB Maxtor drive as the primary slave and see if that works or not.

No chance, you need to mod/update BIOS for that mobo to support larger than 8GB drives.

The CHS on the case is 6704,15,63, whereas the BIOS detects it as size 1127MB and CHS 785,128,63 in LBA mode, size 1129MB and CHS 6704,15,63 in NORMAL mode (right CHS but wrong size, this is the mode where it was seen in the OS as about 200MB), or size 1129MB and CHS 3352,30,63 in LARGE mode.

I used the Windows 95 installer to create a filesystem on the WD drive, and installed Windows 95.

Haven't tried the Maxtor drive just yet, but a few days ago I tried a DTC1181 ISA card to try and fix the problem, and with the card present the system doesn't even post. Said card works fine in 386/486.

Reply 8 of 12, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Socket 7 motherboards shouldn't have any problems with bigger than 528MB HDDs (it's 386/very early 486 era issue).

I can expect a few of the older S7 boards having problems with 8GB limit, and most having problems with 32GB limit but not with a 3GB drive. I think the HDD in question is faulty.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 9 of 12, by AppleDash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The HDD is not faulty. This happens with many drives, and this particular drive works 100% fine on a newer system. In addition, the BIOS calculates the wrong size for the drive if I manually enter in the right CHS values. I can do this without the drive even being *connected*, so this wrong calculation has nothing to do with the drive.

Reply 10 of 12, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SSTV2 wrote:

Sorry for repeating, i had Fujitsu HDD in mind, and the reason why i asked about OS version is that early Windows95 releases 4.00.950/4.00.950a doesn't support FAT32 file system and UDMA transfers, which Fujitsu should be using.

AppleDash wrote:

The CHS on the case is 6704,15,63, whereas the BIOS detects it as size 1127MB and CHS 785,128,63 in LBA mode, size 1129MB and CHS 6704,15,63 in NORMAL mode (right CHS but wrong size, this is the mode where it was seen in the OS as about 200MB), or size 1129MB and CHS 3352,30,63 in LARGE mode.

Complete weirdness, geometry conversion is done sort of right in LBA and LARGE modes, but size is misreported, NORMAL mode is for 528mb and smaller capacity HDDs, you should stay with default LBA mode.

If you indeed are using early release of Win95, try to create a FAT16 FS on Fuji just to see how OS will react.

Reply 11 of 12, by AppleDash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using OSR 2.5. I haven't done anything to the Fujitsu drive - I'll try sticking it in the system it works on and giving it a new FAT32 filesystem and seeing if that helps.

Reply 12 of 12, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might be able to identify the board if you run AIDA16 from a DOS boot floppy. Myself, I haven't used it in years, but it's a good tool from what I remember.