VOGONS

First post, by rfsapiens

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello people,

As you may know I'm building a new super socket 7 system since January but since I don't have much time and electronic skills I ended up with two motherboards for this new system to use with an AMD K6-3+ cpu @ 600MHz (6x x 100MHz) both the motherboard work fine but unfortunately in the case of the Iwill XA100 Plus the PS/2 ports doesn't work at all and in the case of the DFI it worked properly but after a few hours the CPU fan just stopped and the CPU became very very hot then when I rebooted the board worked fine again and the cpu was like just nothing ever happened but the speaker signals of the DFI mobo became very very faint with no apparent reason. It's obvious that I want my system to be fully functional so I want the board to be 100%. If I take any of these board into an electronic repair shop they will charge me 99 euros. So what should I do? risk for a 3rd board? These motherboard are very expensive... 😒 or should I repair the IWIll? or the DFI?
I'm looking forward to hear a reply from you 😀

Thank you in advance for your kind attention and support.

With the best regards,

Rfsapiens.

Reply 1 of 5, by Gatewayuser200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With the DFI, are you talking about the PC beeper speaker or the sound card output?

"network down, IP packets delivered via UPS" - BOFH
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Reply 2 of 5, by rfsapiens

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Thank you for your kind reply.
The first time I installed the cpu the beeper was ok then I just let the mobo on a few hours in idle just in DOS but then when I came back I found ou the situation I described above regarding the CPU fan connected to the fan connector. Then after that the beep became faint almost inaudible I can only hear it a bit if I use an amplifier and the cpu fan connector never failed again. so yes it's the pc speaker output of the motherboard that became fainter 😀 It's not the speaker because I tested with another speaker and the same speaker in my Iwill mobo and it works properly. 😀

With the best regards,

Rfsapiens.

Reply 3 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Alladin V chipset was the fastest ever made for the SS7 platform as far as I know.

Even with only 512kb of cache, it was faster than other boards with 1MB of cache.

I so miss my ASUS P5A.

The PS/2 ports not working is probably just the little fuse for them. A super simple fix.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 5, by rfsapiens

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello people,

Thank you for your kind reply 😀 Sorry for the delay but I was running out of time busy with other things and didn't have time to look at this again.
I took a pic of my motherboard Iwill near the PS/2 port area and as you can see I also find out that indeed this board was suposed to have a fuse but it's not installed and I think it's not installed since it was manufactured. Do you think that if I put a wire over there where it says "F1" the PS/2 will start to work or it can be something else?

Here you have a picture of my Iwill mobo:

http://imgur.com/a/XeZ9y

What do you think?
Thank you in advance for all your kindness and support 😉

I'm looking forward to hear a reply from you.

With the best regards,

Rfsapiens.

Reply 5 of 5, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll be really grateful for anyone who can help me.
I get the concept of fuse, to protect, and that's it.
So it might take a while for me to learn the "super" simple fix.

What I have gathered so far:´
A P110 on the subject (EPOX motherboard) next to PS/2 ports, P260 on the possible replacement (Gigabyte).
Sounds like I need more defective parts in my collection.

Sorry for bothering you today. I would be happy to help a kind person like you, but I am a leech. 😵

Like, what if the overflow or something in the style happens again on the PS/2 ports and there will be the wire instead of a fuse ?
I hope you can carry this test safety.