VOGONS

First post, by Shogun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Flash chip: SST 39SF020
Current bios revision is 1005
04/17/00-SiS-530-P5-99VM-00

I'm trying to flash to a beta bios (http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm#bios) to detect my K3+ cpu, however nothing is working so far. When I go to use aflash.exe it locks up as soon as it starts (at the selection screen). I tried to use uniflash and I get:

s0Atoob.jpg

I reboot and the bios is still on the 1005 version so nothing changed. I tried running multiple versions of aflash. I tried running it off of a cf card formatted multiple ways with both aflash and uniflash. I then tried a floppy drive and got the same results. This is my first time trying out one of Jan Steunebrink's bios files. I'm pretty sure they all went through testing. Does anyone have any clues why I can't flash my bios? Maybe something is bad with the chip which is why aflash locks up?

Reply 2 of 7, by Shogun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like its the Asus flash program. This is the screen it locks up on:

abp4oA1.jpg

It also looks like its running the Asus bios. I haven't seen any HP references anywhere:

1GFmE8Q.jpg

I'll give flashrom and hotswap a try tomorrow.

Reply 3 of 7, by Shogun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So every link I find of the dos version of flashrom is dead. I don't want to mess with Linux just to flash the bios. Hot swapping isn't an option as I don't have another similar chip. I might get an eeprom programmer at some point but unless anyone else has any ideas I'm out of ways to try and easily flash this motherboard. I should have another mobo coming in that I will try to work with. Its just weird that this isn't working. I might try to flash the 1006 official bios update and see if that works, then try the beta bios after.

Reply 4 of 7, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shogun wrote:

So every link I find of the dos version of flashrom is dead. I don't want to mess with Linux just to flash the bios. Hot swapping isn't an option as I don't have another similar chip. I might get an eeprom programmer at some point but unless anyone else has any ideas I'm out of ways to try and easily flash this motherboard. I should have another mobo coming in that I will try to work with. Its just weird that this isn't working. I might try to flash the 1006 official bios update and see if that works, then try the beta bios after.

I have been using this dos version of flashrom. Just make sure it's companioned with CWSDPMI.EXE from https://www.flashrom.org/images/6/61/Csdpmi7b.zip

Reply 5 of 7, by Shogun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the links and all the help. I tried flashrom but it can't see anything either. It only sees the chipset (SIS). I tried looking for any rom flash protection bios settings or jumpers and didn't see anything. I tried hotflashing but the other SS7 mobo I have has no documentation and I can't get it to boot (M5SIB). I'll save this board for when I get an eeprom programmer and just wait for the Hot597 I ordered to arrive.

Reply 7 of 7, by Shogun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the necrobump I had to stop this project back in the day due to work getting in the way. I've been digging out my stuff and messing with it and your linked aflash version worked so I just wanted to say thanks!