VOGONS

First post, by Tyrantulas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently purchased a Pentium 200MMX for my Aopen ap5c/p mobo retro gaming rig. No matter when I try, I can not get the board correctly display 200Mhz... it wants to run at 166Mhz.

The manuals I've seen online seem to indicate that the board supports a 3X multiplier... in fact, I can't really get any of the multiplier settings to affect the chip.... I can underclock it by fiddling around with the FSB, but that's it.

Set the FSB for 50Mhz... posts as 120Mhz
Set the FSB for 60Mhz... posts as 150Mhz
Set the FSB for 66Mhz ... posts as 166Mhz

Just can't get past this 2.5 multiplier... it just ignores anything going on with JP8 on the board... all jumpered... none jumpered... makes no difference

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2.JPG
Filename
2.JPG
File size
30.51 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
1.JPG
Filename
1.JPG
File size
33.86 KiB
Views
File license
3.JPG
Filename
3.JPG
File size
45.22 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1 of 6, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hehehe that first picture is weird! It shows 9 cpu types and only 8 settings? 🤣

I would go with the second one as it is the only one that has jp8: 1-2, 7-8 and that is probably the 3x multi?

Also note that you have the mmx cpu (2,8v p55c) and that board only seems to support the p54c 3,3v versions?

You CAN run the mmx at 3,3v but please use a beefy cooler to compnsate for the extra heat generated by the extra volts. It is not recommended and at your own risk but in my experience it will not give any problems as long as you use a good cpu cooler.

BTW: The p100 settings is 1,5x66mhz. The 1,5 multi will work on a lot of p200mmx cpu's as 3,5x and will give you 233mhz. The later p200mmx ones are locked and will not work with the 1,5x=3,5x setting but it might be worth it to try if you want more speed. So if you want to try and see if it runs at 233mhz set it as a p100.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2 of 6, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a hypothesis that might explain your trouble.

It seems that the multiplier is solely determined by JP8. Assume pins 1,3,5,7 are connected to CPU and 2,4,6,8 are connected to signal source (3.3V, ground, or float). If the pins are wired as follows, and your MMX chip is partially locked, you might face the frustration of totally locked multiplier:

BF0 <--> 1 2 <--> float
BF1 <--> 3 4 <--> 3.3V or float
BF0 <--> 5 6 <--> ground
BF1 <--> 7 8 <--> ground

Partially locked MMX will ignore the signal from BF1 pin and its BF0 pin will be pulled low when being float. Therefore no matter how you change the settings of JP8 the CPU can only receive ground signal from both BF0 and BF1, resulting in multiplier locked at 2.5x.

It's easy to check the wiring if you can get access to a multimeter.

Reply 3 of 6, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you implying that he might have a 166 remarked as a 200?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 6, by Tyrantulas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've purchased multiple CPUs trying to track this down... I purchased a 200MMX "plastic", a 200MMX ceramic, and a 166MMX "plastic.

Both the 200mhz CPUs seem to ignore the 3x multiplier.

Reply 6 of 6, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tyrantulas wrote:

I've purchased multiple CPUs trying to track this down... I purchased a 200MMX "plastic", a 200MMX ceramic, and a 166MMX "plastic.

Both the 200mhz CPUs seem to ignore the 3x multiplier.

Are they both not responding to other JP8 settings?
Do you have other boards to test the CPUs?