VOGONS

First post, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm asking because I finally got a Geforce 4 ti4200 (MSI make) and despite my plans from weeks ago, I found out that having both this and a Voodoo 3 in the same comp is not gonna work--even if I could get them to cooperate, I feel like they'd generate too much heat together.

So I'm instead thinking of building two different PCs. One PC will handle DOS and earlier-on Win3.1/95/98 stuff, and this one will get my Soundblaster 16 ISA and my Voodoo 3 PCI, while the other one would get the Geforce and a Soundblaster Audigy ZX.

My main thing is my current PC is 700mhz, but I have an old motherboard in a beige case (that used to overheat all the time which is why I abandoned it, but I might fix that by simply leaving its cover off) that has a 500mhz processor, and since I don't know what this one's mobo is I won't be able to upgrade its processor, whereas the 700mhz comp's Epox-8KTA mobo can handle up to 1.6ghz or so I've read.

Tho, I absolutely refuse to install DirectX 9 on a Win98SE PC (it caused problems last time I did) so I'm wondering if 1.6ghz would be overkill for such a comp or if there's Win98 games that genuinely require such speeds?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: By the way, the Geforce 4 had three outputs... one was VGA, another was DVI, but then there was one that LOOKED like an S-Video output, but it turned out it wasn't. Or if it was, it had more pin inputs then any of my actual S-Video cables. Does anyone know what that output was?

Reply 1 of 5, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you mean the last game to support Windows 98SE, we already have a topic about this:
Last PC games supporting Windows 9x?

and here's a list of the last 98-compatible versions of general software on an MSFN topic:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/105936-last-v … r-windows-98se/

EdmondDantes wrote:

EDIT: By the way, the Geforce 4 had three outputs... one was VGA, another was DVI, but then there was one that LOOKED like an S-Video output, but it turned out it wasn't. Or if it was, it had more pin inputs then any of my actual S-Video cables. Does anyone know what that output was?

Most likely 7-pin S-Video, which can sometimes work with a regular 4-pin S-Video cable but on some cards it may require a special adapter to support composite, 4-pin S-Video, and even component.
7pin4pincablemap.jpg

Reply 2 of 5, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's still software with new 98SE compatible updates coming out. Often when 98SE support got dropped, especially in games, it only meant no user support and reduced QA. It lived on alongside 2K/XP for years. The better question is at what point it's completely safe to switch to an NT based system with their more limited compatibility, which is no earlier than 2001.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 4 of 5, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
If you mean the last game to support Windows 98SE, we already have a topic about this: Last PC games supporting Windows 9x? […]
Show full quote

If you mean the last game to support Windows 98SE, we already have a topic about this:
Last PC games supporting Windows 9x?

and here's a list of the last 98-compatible versions of general software on an MSFN topic:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/105936-last-v … r-windows-98se/

Thanks. I didn't know about those topics and they are some interesting reading.

Right now I'm internally debating whether my next comp build would be a 98SE/XP dual-boot or if it would be pure XP. I'm currently bidding on a Gigabyte motherboard with 3.0ghz pentium 4 (intentionlly choosing a single-core due to possibility of using Win98) and 2gb of RAM, tho I'm aware the RAM might cause Win98SE to be basically uninstallable.

Mainly I've just always belived that there's no kill like overkill but in this case I'm wondering how much overkill is too much for a comp I'm building basically to play Myst V and possibly Doom 3.

* That said, the idea of not building a new comp at all and instead just retiring my beloved Voodoo 3 in favor of the Geforce is entirely still on the table, since when the Geforce has the comp to itself it works just fine and I haven't seen any broken compatibility with older games, not even when I run in pure DOS mode.

Most likely 7-pin S-Video, which can sometimes work with a regular 4-pin S-Video cable but on some cards it may require a specia […]
Show full quote

Most likely 7-pin S-Video, which can sometimes work with a regular 4-pin S-Video cable but on some cards it may require a special adapter to support composite, 4-pin S-Video, and even component.
7pin4pincablemap.jpg

The 7-pin looked a lot like what I saw.

For reference, I just recalled you can link to finished auctions. This is the exact card I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-NVIDIA-GeForce4-T … 872.m2749.l2649