VOGONS

First post, by llamaboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been looking at really old versions of AutoCAD and Photoshop, among others. When I was little, I had all of the Voyetra stuff that came with the Packard Bell. No midi keyboard, though.

Does anyone here currently use their old, old machines to create stuff? If yes, what do you use and do?

I'm considering a 3D printer in the near future, too, and am curious as to what 3D modelling was like back in the 80's and 90's. Or what it was like to work with Borland C++, or edit photos at 800x600 in PS 4...

Main: Ryzen 1700X / Gigabyte uATX board w/ PCI slot / XFX HD480 8GB / 16GB Corsair Dominator 3000 / Asus Essence ST
1999 Vectra: Pentium II 400Mhz / Integrated Matrox G100 4MB / Diablotek Radeon 7500 64MB PCI / 363MB PC100 / Aztech AZT2320 ISA

Reply 1 of 9, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
llamaboy wrote:

Does anyone here currently use their old, old machines to create stuff? If yes, what do you use and do?

I used FastTracker II for quite a few years while I was learning and experimenting with music, maybe 98-05? It's installed and ready to go on my P4 machine, but I haven't taken the time to try and compose any chiptunes on it yet. Soon~

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 2 of 9, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sometimes I use Office 4.3 or 97 to make clipart animations... though I kinda cheat and just FTP the files to my main machine and edit there. Do play around with Paint and Photoshop 3.05 in Windows 3.11 and Photoshop 6.0 in 95 sometimes.

http://i.imgur.com/8hRcQsg.png

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 3 of 9, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used Cakewalk 3.0 Professional in Windows 3.1 with a fully expanded original AWE32 ISA sound card. My midi controller keyboard was a Roland PC-200 MK II. I did the bulk of my music writing with that setup for a few years.

Reply 5 of 9, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm active in the demo- & chiptune-scenes on many platforms, and I use my P233+AWE64+GUS PnP+Impulse Tracker for "modern" music production too (as a MIDI sequencer for hardware synths.) Yes, Impulse Tracker does MIDI very well. 😀

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 6 of 9, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use ProfessionalWrite for DOS and MS Works for Win 3.x on a 486 sometimes because nostalgia.

Also vim never gets old.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 9, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SaxxonPike wrote:

I used FastTracker II for quite a few years while I was learning and experimenting with music, maybe 98-05? It's installed and ready to go on my P4 machine, but I haven't taken the time to try and compose any chiptunes on it yet. Soon~

Same here, FT2.08 and IT2.14 always ready! Too little time to spare though 🙁

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe