VOGONS

DIDN'T buy this retro hardware today

Topic actions

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We all see those things we reeeeeeeally kinda want, but ultimately pass on for very good reasons. Thought I'd start a thread for them.

On my local site: an Amstrad PPC512 for $75, with the original carry bag, OR an Amstrad PPC640 for $150 with a box of floppies & a 10MB external hard drive. I never see stuff like this on there, but these pop up within a couple days of each other, from two different sellers(!) Both working, both look to be in great shape. I LOVE the form factor & design, especially of the 640.

63799163_614.jpg
64178783_614.jpg
SO cool!

BUT... What do I need an 8088 compatible machine for? (Technically an NEC V30 @ 8MHz.) I don't like many of the games from that era, they're too slow for me to do DOS stuff on, they won't run 8088 MPH, and although I'm kinda interested in messing with CGA, a monochrome inverse LCD is not how I want to do it. They don't have composite jacks so any VGA card supports the same CGA modes these do.

I just can't justify either one. Ultimately I'd end up with a very cool looking shelf ornament.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 39, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen a few of those available recently. I too was tempted to get one, but I didn't for the exact same reason you stated - it'd just end up being an ornament 🤣.

I do want an 8086 system at some point, but I'd opt for something a bit more standard and expandible. Those portables would look cool and get used a few times, but would ultimately be useless to me.

Reply 2 of 39, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found an original model iMac at the local Value Village one time. Don't really have room for it, though. Or any real Mac software that I'd want it for. If I did want to get into PowerPC Mac Stuff, a PowerPC Mac Mini would probably be more practical.
taCI_F2O-D6bl_q2lTsIBjtab5NoJFr3ycjm05aGWkHe8mIPs6hRNvWI0n2BHwJtN75CSLIAvLWKXvMyegHkQduB-LSAzoMvelDQiPGgjaXRFwHjvwj8zMxG3w2IQWfMKoxzvhgICDILk_6Re7vKrzgr4HyMRPF9e5l4mDfDpMJWfgMzSWYLszCozqk6RsEr-kaHcH-mPdQP2qsoP7N4VvPZy27PiGY9B0VTNKyANwu2f2XPN8OunOSiVkTGqukctzrlPXOFJTgR1nOVk6LXSj2SJ8A2lIV7msHo7AAgH8l5LUu-tytsLLCJ0330huVF3KIXhSHb0XwwVvw70N3K4DafhIv712BoCBbZgRyNh4LMPtcdSCnqPDdNWWLoaUkAzk5Z1r0FaHj1xh5oEC05JQNvIkPIdd15KwZegZSvneJ-aKNr1E8rtMMx6J9Lmgqhr9R6KDp4kXLr57C53ACeRQQNsdPrUqoumbLLIOgRGZx62vi5Pkqv_2aChkY0O-6MDnayg5rMM1QGBssXEKteudmRT2OJnvGsSSsVFtb_-aHgjWpgjB14jnsIOKodUJYVRMJDLVfDiZKiAs2F3CGWmi4h0CzD7dHTAC9mffonxPW7XFZ6Un9NW0HwDTfOCA3UyXdUbH4eNeht3uxvfXR56yEx7k2xXKqgkrxdlMQbuyCnMQ=w628-h613-no

Reply 3 of 39, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was at the recycler yesterday and left a complete case which looked to have no damage etc.

It had an Asus p4T s423 motherboard with cpu/koeler. a scsi card complete with cables and drive, it had 2 rdram modules and 2 dummy ones and a standard pci sound and agp fx5200 card.
A 400w Aopen psu powers it all.

I don't know if it works but it looked nice. I did leave it (even though i collect Asus boards) as i have so much already and would probably never use it. I have a couple of s478 Asus boards and i just can not find the love for s423. I could have had it for around 20 euro only.

Also missed out on 2 boxed voodoo cards yesterday. It's okay, i know who did get them but still..... would be nice for the collection! And later yesterday i JUST missed an Asus tnt2 ultra complete with 3d glasses for only 15 euro...... Yesterday was NOT the best day 🤣

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 4 of 39, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Saw this at local thrift store. Was very tempted to get it just because of it's uniqueness and brief history, but ultimately figured it would just be a dust collector.

Attachments

• 20170815_183645.jpg
    Filename
    20170815_183645.jpg
    File size
    1.11 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 39, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Teletype Model 43.

For free at an estate sale.

Heavy as HELL, I passed on it.

Attachments

• teletype 43.jpg
    Filename
    teletype 43.jpg
    File size
    249.38 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 39, by harddrivespin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't buy an AMD K6 Fujitsu Myrica tower. Why? What would I use it for? I already have a partially built custom tower for early 90s DOS games, and an Athlon build for late 90s and 2000s games. If it wasn't 55GBP, I'd have gone for it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~PMAAOSwR4FZiHPi/s-l1600.jpg

Reply 7 of 39, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ holy hell that's ugly. Don't blame you for an instant for passing on that!

@RJdog & Zerker: I think you guys shop at the same vv :p

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 10 of 39, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I've mentioned on my last post on the bought this retro hardware today thread, there was an ASUS P5LD2 ATX motherboard for sale which included a pre-installed Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU and two extra SATA cables all for just $19.99 at Value Village. would've made a great XP/Vista era machine but I chose not to get it because it was way too big for the Vista system I had in mind for a future HTPC project (this was Full ATX and I'm leaning more towards a Micro-ATX or a high-end Mini-ITX board for this project).

asus-p5ld2-board.jpg

Reply 11 of 39, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would've considered picking up that graphite iMac G3 myself, at least if it's one of the non-gimped ones that has FireWire and a DVD drive, unlike the indigo one I have that lacks FW and has a CD drive that can't even inject/eject discs reliably any more. I also dig the graphite color a bit more than indigo.

Alas, it'd probably be cheaper to just swap motherboards in my indigo iMac to get FireWire and a clock speed bump.

Meanwhile, there was a Gateway desktop tower of some kind I passed up in a thrift store about a week ago. Pentium III, seemed promising enough, but I've got all the retro PC hardware I need for the time being in my P4EE build. Besides, I've still got all these old Macs on my hands that need to be re-homed, and no, recycling centers don't count.

Reply 12 of 39, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zerker wrote:

Well, it's still an iMac G3 anyways.

I had one, but never got it to work as it was missing the OS and I was unable to get it to boot any version I tried. I remember reading it required a specific version of the OS or you were not able to boot or install it.

Reply 13 of 39, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I went thrift shopping today, usually my local places have jack all, but today they had in some good stuff. Nothing I needed though, so I ended up passing on most of it. Here are some highlights:

TWO Plextor 6-disc SCSI CD-ROM changers. Unfortunately the caddies that actually hold the discs were long gone or I probably would have grabbed them. When was the last time you saw one of these?

plex.jpg
Filename
plex.jpg
File size
106.16 KiB
Views
File license

I wish people would take the slightest bit of effort to keep the accessories together with things like this, these will probably never be used again & end up in a landfill. 😠

TWO Thrustmaster FCS Top Gun sticks! In pretty good shape too. These are great sticks & I was SORELY tempted, but I just don't need another DB15 joystick (I have two Logitech Wingman Extremes and a Gravis Firebird II.) Left 'em there to make someone else's day.

sticks.jpg
Filename
sticks.jpg
File size
182.09 KiB
Views
File license

Feel free to tell me these regularly go for $200 on Ebay or something! Somehow I doubt it though.

Also, the jankiest USB gamepad I've ever seen! They actually had two of these too, which is probably two more than needed to be made EVER. Note the cassette tape for thickness scale. You could just hold the thing and twist it. Yuck.

jankypad.jpg
Filename
jankypad.jpg
File size
101.35 KiB
Views
File license

Didn't get a picture, but there was also a CD release (cardboard case) of Quake 1 shareware, INCLUDING a handwritten floppy disk labelled "Quake crack" that was hidden in the back of the cardboard insert, AND mission packs 1 & 2 (Scourge of Armageddon & Dissolution of Eternity) in jewel cases. Didn't grab those because I already have them, but was still neat to see. Kinda wonder what was on that Quake Crack disk.

As for what I DID get, I'll post those in "bought these games today."

Reply 15 of 39, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Xjas, the topgun joysticks are utter dogshit, not worthy of the brand thrustmaster. I have one, the centering is done purely with rubber grommet, to give it a bit of weight it uses some steel (I believe) plates. Because of the cheap solution to center it, it is basically impossible to reliably calibrate it. I got it back in the day when they were new and while being cheap for a thrustmaster product, they were overpriced for what they are.

You REALLY didn't miss out here.

Reply 16 of 39, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Haha noted... I thought it was just a rebadged FCS Mk.II (<-- link goes to teardown) but I guess they cheaped the hell out to pay for the license. Typical.

I DID get a copy of the Top Gun theme on vinyl (45) so I guess I made out better with that. 😜

Reply 17 of 39, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one of those Radeon 1950 pro agp cards, I just don't know what to use it for. There is no win98 drivers for it and there is probably much better cards if I built a windows xp system. What kind of system they would be good for?

The thing that I would have wanted to buy but didn't was a working HP Vectra 286 pc. Everything in it was proprietary like psu and motherboard so I thought it would be too much trouble to maintain, but when I saw it only went for around 70 euros in an auction, I regret not bidding for it.

Reply 18 of 39, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

On my local site: an Amstrad PPC512 for $75, with the original carry bag, OR an Amstrad PPC640 for $150 with a box of floppies & a 10MB external hard drive.

The hard drive is interesting. Do you know the make/model of it?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 19 of 39, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I almost bought this, a loaded IBM PS/2 Model 90 with a 486DX, until I realized it was MCA only and got the seller to agree to cancel my bid, which had a maximum higher than the price it eventually sold for. I decided that I would never shop on eBay will high again. Perhaps I might get a 486 in the future, but not one like this!

wp0kyr-2.png CALIFORNIA_RAYZEN
1wpfky-2.png REDBOX
3q6x0e-2.png FUNKENSTEIN_3D