VOGONS

First post, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe not exactly retro but well, Phenom II is almost eight years old, and x6 version is a pretty interesting CPU.

Text still only in polish (but I am already working on english versions, it will take a while but will be done) 🙁

Charts are universally understandable - fast polish lesson - "mniej = lepiej" means "the less the better" a "więcej = lepiej" means "the more the better", now you are good to go 😉

The CPUs are tested at equal clocks, turbo off and 6 cores/6 treads.

Ryzen vs Phenom II

I hope you enjoy it, amount of work was insane 😀

Celeron Tualatin vs Celeron Conroe at equal clocks
Pentium Pro 256k vs Pentium Pro 1M vs Pentium II Overdrive!
VIA C3 vs VIA C7

My website all about old hardware

Reply 2 of 11, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is much better than Sandybridge 😀

VIA C3 vs VIA C7

Reply 4 of 11, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:

Good job. Ryzen is probably Sandybridge level IPC.

Ryzen is more or less at Skylake level IPC. Currently testing a Ryzen 1300x (4 cores, 4 threads, 8MB cache) against a 6600k. With both CPUs running at 4GHz (300Mhz overclock for the 1300x over turbo speed), performance is nearly identical. Performance difference seems to be 1-2%, witch each chip performing better then the other in certain tastks, but by very little. Rhe Ryzen chip seems to have a tiny advantage in FPU intensive tasks like 3dmark fire strike physics test, FPU Mandel and FPU Julia, while the i5 is a tiny bit when it comes to encryption and encoding. Frankly I was expecting it to be the other way around. I used the same memory modules on both systems (Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz dual channel kit). Both use MSI mainboards - a Z170 Krait Gaming for the i5, and a B350M Arctic Mortar for the 1300x.

So far, ryzen is shaping up really well, and the cheap 1300x makes a great base for a gaming PC, especially if you plan to overclock, as my 1300x sample does 4GHz on air using a (modded) Deepcool GamerStorm Lucifer cooler. I've been able to push it to 4.2 GHz, but it seems to take exponentially more voltage to get the chip stable over 4GHz then it did to get it to said 4GHz. It will run at 3.8GHz @ stock voltage tough.

elod wrote:

Even the 8350 was a big step upwards from the 955. Ryzen being much better is a nobrainer. Ryzen 2 even more so.

... no. The Phenom II series has faster FPUs then the FX series. A 4GHz Phenom II X6 will kick the crap out of a 8350 any day. For one it's FPUs are ~10-12% faster, and second, it has two more then the FX 8350. While an 8 core chip, the 8350 only has 4 FPUs, while a Phenom II X6 has 6 - that is notable in both games and benchmarks. The trick here is finding a good motherboard and a good sample that will do 4GHz, as most top out at about 3.8. To really get the most out of a Phenom II chip, you need to push it's northbridge clocks as far as they will go. That part of the chip also dictates how fast the L3 cache runs, and that has a serious impact on performance. The fastest setup I could get going is a Phenom II X6 1060 BE running at 3.8GHz, with the northbridge running at 3200MHz and the memory at 2000MHz (CL10). At those speeds, it single threaded games it's on par with a 1st gen Lynnfield core i5 760, and up to 40% faster in multi-threaded games like Ashes of the Singularity. I was also impressed by how cool Phenom II chips run, despite the relatively high vCore.

The FX series is faster when it comes to encoding, encryption and productivity apps - but when it comes to games and physics, the old K10 is a faster chip.

Reply 5 of 11, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

Ryzen is more or less at Skylake level IPC.

That's like saying that Ryzen is at Kaby Lake level IPC (Kaby and Skylake have identical IPC) and we all know that just isn't true.
Ryzen is closer to Haswell in terms of single-threaded IPC, and only when AVX2 isn't being used extensively.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 6 of 11, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

One thing that realy holds back the p2 when compared to ryzen is the motherboards.
Chances are if your useing a p2 system its using ddr3 1600mhz or slower ram if not ddr2. Sata2 and pcie2 among other things.
Would be cool to see a p2 and ryzen used in the same board to compare. But at the same time it's really amazing to see how well the p2 and c2 aged.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-10-03, 16:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 11, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:

... no. The Phenom II series has faster FPUs then the FX series. A 4GHz Phenom II X6 will kick the crap out of a 8350 any day.

It will not kick the crap out of a 4GHz 8350 though. Apples and apples please. The FX may lack single core IPC but it can overclock a lot better and as a whole 8 core package it just destroys the PhenomII in multithreaded work loads. Also, this not 2011 anymore, everything is multithreaded. The FX also supports faster RAM (2133 vs 1600 Mhz DDR3) which by itself can make a huge difference.

900x900px-LL-8013c9fc_Cinebenchmulti.PNG

Even at single thread, the Phenom II's IPC is a myth.

900x900px-LL-4e6b5fd2_Cinebenchsingle.PNG

More here:http://www.overclock.net/t/1502266/phenom-ii- … r-vs-piledriver

The Phenom II was a good chip, but the FX was a more forward thinking architecture, and I can tell you first hand today that the FX is a better CPU because I have one in my daily work PC and a Phenom II in my bedroom PC. They are not comparable.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 11, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Even your own example shows that Phenom II@3,2Ghz beats the FX8320@3,2Ghz in ST. I can confirm that as I have already tested one FX to compare it with Ryzen - again with the same clocks and Core/thead configuration. So yes, in many cases IPC of Phenom II od better than IPC of FX. Of course you can pretty easily have the FX running at 4800MHz and Phenom II at 3800Mhz isn't very common but that's a different matter.

There will be article about that sooner or later. Now I am working on "VIA Nano X2 1200Mhz vs U7600", as usual - equal clocks, VERY different core architectures.

VIA C3 vs VIA C7

Reply 9 of 11, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

The Phenom II was a good chip, but the FX was a more forward thinking architecture, and I can tell you first hand today that the FX is a better CPU because I have one in my daily work PC and a Phenom II in my bedroom PC. They are not comparable.

Pretty much the same real life experience here. I dropped the 8350 in the same PC I had the 955 in with no other change. It felt way faster afterwards. Neither had any overclock.

Reply 10 of 11, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elod wrote:

Pretty much the same real life experience here. I dropped the 8350 in the same PC I had the 955 in with no other change. It felt way faster afterwards. Neither had any overclock.

It is obvious, Phenom 955 has 4 cores (so four FPUs/INTs)@3,2Ghz. FX 8350 has four FPUs/eight INTs@4,0Ghz. Overclocked Phenom II X6 (six cores = six FPUs/INTs) vs FX 8350 is a very different thing.

VIA C3 vs VIA C7

Reply 11 of 11, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Somebody let me borrow a FX 8350. So I am going to add it to this comparison 😀

VIA C3 vs VIA C7