VOGONS

First post, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back again with a question for any one that might know regarding the different Compaq Presario motherboards.

So i am aware of two different models, one with modem and one that has built in cpu ( if im not wrong only the first models did have that ).

Myself i have one with out builtin modem or cpu but i have a connector which i dont know what it is for, there isnt any info on http://th99.classic-computing.de/src/m/C-D/32243.htm so thats no help.

Here is a image with the modem built in:
cp433-large-01.jpg

Here is one of mine which i have the exact copy of with following connection:
B1vthCh_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Last edited by tabm0de on 2018-07-15, 10:33. Edited 1 time in total.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 2 of 9, by delinthe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm fairly certain that is an 80 pin SCA connector. They're commonly used for SCSI drives. I'll have to open my 425 and see if I have one as well. I've seen some boards that have an unpopulated pin header in that location.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 9, by delinthe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The top drive has an 80 pin SCA connector so you can compare. I'm not entirely certain what it would be used for in this system however. I don't believe there is a SCSI controller on the motherboard.

Attachments

• hdd.jpg
    Filename
    hdd.jpg
    File size
    140.17 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SCSIHardDriveConnectors.jpg
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 4 of 9, by perhenden

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it possible it's for added cache? I got a similar slot on a socket 7 motherboard that adds cache to the motherboard.
I have a Presario 425 with this slot as well and would love to discover what its purpose is!

Attachments

• DSC_0124.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0124.JPG
    File size
    1.46 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Here's a bit zoomed in image of the slot
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 9, by delinthe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still not sure what the slot is for but my 425 motherboard doesn't have one, it only has the pads. I took a look at the traces going to the pads and they seem to run to the daughterboard connector, some LS374 chips near by which are flip-flops, and a few run over to the BIOS. If I had to take a guess I'd say it's for some type of expansion module running on the ISA bus.

Attachments

• IMG_3739.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3739.jpg
    File size
    1.75 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 9, by perhenden

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only relevant thing I find in the parts manual is "6260 SCSI-2 Controller Board ", other than the modem, which I thought was somewhere else (my board doesn't have the modem).
Maybe the SCSI board makes sense, perhaps this consumer market motherboard model was shared with a business model, Prolinea?

Reply 7 of 9, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont thing it was ever used on presario 4xx, but it seams to be used with compaq prolinea net1/xxs, which the network card is connected to, so i guess its uses the SCA connector but for some type of home made isa slot.
I have been trying to get the network card working on that board without any luck, but i havnt stopped yet to try, someday i will have more time 😉

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 8 of 9, by pampilhoso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the compaq presario cds 520, and that slot is used for plugging in the modem. Here is a photo of the one I have:

FB_IMG_1626424918903.jpg
Filename
FB_IMG_1626424918903.jpg
File size
113.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The models that dont come with the soldered interface already have an onboard modem, and the ones that have it will also have a metal braket slot for the modem at the back of the computer.

Reply 9 of 9, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool, here is the prolinea card which i havnt got working on my presario.

Attachments

• TcmNQHfA.jpeg
    Filename
    TcmNQHfA.jpeg
    File size
    1.05 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

naa, nothing yet...