VOGONS

Reply 60 of 82, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have passed up so much stuff while trash picking. Some stuff I regret, such as a complete (albeit beat up) Mac Plus. Other stuff I kinda regret, like an external dual 8-inch (!) floppy drive; so cool but ginormous and of limited use...

I'm also currently passing up on buying this massive lot of 386-computers: https://www.tradera.com/item/340854/300963200 … ca-120-datorer-
All things considered, I think the price is too high. (Let alone the fact that I have no means of transporting or storing them etc...)

Brostenen, the lot is in Malmö, (close-ish?) maybe you can negotiate with the seller to go over and cherry-pick? 😉

Reply 61 of 82, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

#Stoof:
It is more than 7 hours in train from were I live. As I have to travel all the way through my country first.
That is, if I have to land at Malmö central station. After that, I need to travel further than that. I will pass. 😀

I live in the northern part of denmark (the area with aalborg, brønderslev, frederikshavn and so on), and malmö
is "right next to" copenhagen, located in sweden... Check this map.

https://www.google.dk/maps/search/denmark+swe … =!3m1!4b1?dcr=0

It is a long way by train, and I will be having trouble transporting the stuff back.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 62 of 82, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, you're right. I wasn't thinking further than "Malmö, that's just across the strait from Denmark, where brostenen lives!".
I'm in Stockholm, and It would actually be faster for me to get there...
(Record-breaking off-topic: I've done Malmö - Stockholm in three days, on a fully loaded bicycle. 😀 )

Reply 63 of 82, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hehe.... The shortest (if I take the bus to Aalborg), is some 333 kilometer on bike.
The longest is 602 kilometers. Wich I guess is the one I will be taking.
(can sleep at family members during the travel) All routes, I must pay for at least one ferry ride.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 64 of 82, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
torindkflt wrote:

Yep...a G4 Cube including monitor and basically everything else, with the only apparent defect being a faulty optical drive...for only $90.

The G4 Cube was in many ways, lots of sizzle but not much steak. Yeah, the design was striking, but it was expensive and performance limited with a huge external power brick. Plus the issues with the plastic outer surface and overheating in more challenging ambient conditions.

I think the TAM and the CUBE were not that great as computers and more for flash. People seem to pay decent money for both. I never like the iLamp G4 either but I did snag a 20" model because it was dirt cheap and it is decent for a single core 1.25Ghz G4. Mine had a dead HD so I had to dig into it and replace the HD, max out the RAM, and relube the heatsinks.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 65 of 82, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've bought 3 Cubes & sold 2 over the years. None of them worked well, or for very long in my possession. The one I still have only boots 1 in 4 times (probably due to bulgy caps), throws an L2 cache error when it does boot, and is REALLY finicky about what DIMMs are in it and whether the PRAM battery is present. Really cool machines but I'm honestly wondering if there will be any working ones left in another decade. Maybe a few owned by museums.

The G4 towers blew them out of the water when they were new, but these days that doesn't matter; they're decently-specced for a 450MHz machine if that's what you want. The speaker situation is pretty stupid though.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 66 of 82, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Im looking for the one that made the purchases 😜 i would have done it but i have no rooms for everything, and really was after the compaq keyboards 🙁

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 67 of 82, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I passed up a Sony PVM at a thrift store a few years back, before they became egregiously expensive... Details are fuzzy, but it wasn't displaying anything so I thought it was broken? But I think that's what they're supposed to do without any input. I still am not sure if any of this ever happened, it feels like a weird dream.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 68 of 82, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Uhg... this one hurt a bit, but I just have to let it go. This lot was listed online for $270. I asked the seller if he could get me a little more info on the ones circled. I might have been looking at $60 shipped for the ones I knew I wanted. He stopped replying to me after saying he would get the names off of them, then the next day said it was all sold.

Of note:

Asus FX 5950 Ultra AGP (I think, top left)
Ti 4600
Ti 4xxx (not sure)
7950 GX2
BFG 7800GS AGP
A whole bunch of other decent looking AGP cards... another Quadro (FX 1100?), various Radeons, etc.
And a Quadro4 980XGL AGP... 😵

Attachments

• m65785152892_1.jpg
    Filename
    m65785152892_1.jpg
    File size
    563.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 69 of 82, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Box full of Voodoo 2 pairs for $12.50 in Summer 2008. I went back a few months later more inclined to buy some but they were all gone.

pcivoodoo.jpg
Filename
pcivoodoo.jpg
File size
96.1 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 70 of 82, by ScragglyPuff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FluffyBunnyFeet wrote:

About 14 years ago, I had a chance to pick-up a working dual 603e-133MHz BeBox. But for some odd reason I didn't.

that brings back memories of when i use to work at a large electronics recycling company. the amount of equipment (computer and audio) that went through there was unbelievable. i did bring home quite a bit of stuff but the one's i didn't....sigh....dec pdp-11, apple network server, nec riscstation/riscserver, quad-proc 486 server, sun 386i, motorola powerstack, gray bebox, sgi deskside workstations, digital ultimate workstation, apple III, amiga 4000 w/toaster, amiga 3000, daystar genesis quad ppc, apple ii clone "pineapple", deskstation raptor, game console from the 70's that had pong and super pong, and lots more. first couple years there it was, "omg! oh wow! no way!" after that it was, "eh, i'll grab the next one that comes through" and now its, "why the @&$# didn't i grab that!?" 😒

Reply 71 of 82, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
infiniteclouds wrote:

I really regret not snatching one of those brand new Audician 32s on ebay a month or two ago. The prices had started going up so I decided I'd wait until I got through my holiday spending even if it meant paying even a BIT more later on.... but they've since vanished altogether.

YMF-719 cards, including the specific model sold as the Audician 32 Plus (Addionics A151-A00) are still cheap as chips on eBay, as long as you don't mind used.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 72 of 82, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, who won the brand new, sealed in box 1Ghz 100Mhz FSB Pentium 3 Slot 1 CPU on Shop Goodwill? Speak up, it had to be a Vogoner...

I bid but $55+$13 shipping is a bit too high for me, despite the fact that it'd probably sell for three times that much easily.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 73 of 82, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I bought a Voodoo4 4500 PCI to replace my Mach64 + Voodoo2 combo in 2000/2001 I saw several boxed copies of VoodooMAC 4500 PCI in a local store. I couldn't see the point of it as Mac's weren't very popular. Oh well... 😵

Reply 74 of 82, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The last time I went to RE-PC (which was around 5 months ago), I stumbled upon an Intel i740 AGP* graphics card for next to nothing and (although not necessarily computer hardware) a big Betacam SP camcorder of some sort for $20, I was watching my budget and trying to cut back on purchasing things that were deemed unnecessary at the time. Now that (IRRELEVANT NITPICKING EXCUSE BASED ON WHAT SOMEONE ELSE'S COMMENT REMOVED), I should've gotten that i740, it would have been a killer alternative to the S3 Virge since it has 4/8MB of VRAM, same level of DOS compatibility, and driver support for the OSes I use. If that i740 is still there the next time I go, I'm getting it, especially now that old P1-era video cards (particularly with 2MB+ of RAM) are getting expensive and hard to find on eBay. 🙁

*My motherboard (Soltek SL-54U5 with VIA MVP3) has an AGP 1x/2x slot, so the AGP i740 should work.

Last edited by KCompRoom2000 on 2018-06-29, 21:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 75 of 82, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it was in 2013 or 2014... when I was pretty broke money wise... there was an eBay auction. Someone was selling a pretty large lot of 3dfx stuff. I think there were 20-30 cards. Some loose some boxed. Seller was from Italy and I was thinking of driving and filling my car with them - it would be around 6 hour drive one way. Of course my bid was too low in the end. The lot was sold for about a "massive" 200€.

About two years ago another auction for a lot of motherboards - about 10. Some 486 and some Socket7. It was a BIN ad but pretty pricey at first - around 500€ at start. He lowered the price every month upon renewing the ad. About 5-6 month passed and it was in my range at 250€. I still couldn't decide and said to myself, lets wait till another price drop. Of course the lot was sold 7 days before the ad expired. The lot contained three Alaris Cougar motherboards with IBM Blue Lightning DLC3 processor - I was only interested in them. It took another two years to finally get one of these at more acceptable price. I should buy the lot at 250€ 😉

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 76 of 82, by XCVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Let's see, a few in recent memory:

• NIB Celeron 300A on Craigslist. The price was reasonable, but I told myself I have no use for it (which is probably true). Still would have been nice just as a conversation piece.
  • CIB OLPC XO-1, also on Craigslist. A little newer than the usual around here, and pretty much useless, but a fascinating piece of computing history and the seller seemed to have no idea what it was. Didn't buy it because it was a little further away than I wanted to travel.
  • A neat little AT tower. I don't remember what was in it, but I passed up on it because I was looking for a Slot 1 motherboard at the time. It was a very neat little tower.
  • Not a PC, but a CECHA01 backwards compatible PS3 at a thrift store. It was probably YLOD, but it was only $30 and these are as rare as hen's teeth these days. The worst part is that I didn't want it because I thought I didn't have the cables to hook it up, but then I realized that it uses a standard AC power cord and HDMI for output.
  • NIB HP CD-RW drive from the early 2000s (?). No story this time, just too lazy to go and get it.
  • Several Sound Blaster 16 and AWE32 cards on eBay just before they got really expensive.
  • A Pentium 3 computer for under $35. And if I read the ad correctly, a free dual-core machine. I didn't buy this one because I don't really have space, but the ad is still up, so we'll see...
  • An Apple puck mouse. It's gone now, but the ad kept going up again and again for about a year. I probably could have snagged it for free, and I suspect it's been thrown out now 🙁

Reply 78 of 82, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LLugnuto779 wrote:

i want a lin-lin adapter
i want to put a tualatin celeron in my asus p3b-f and i cannot find one that is affordable. 🙁

Just buy a basic slotket adapter that has Coppermine/133mhz fsb support (so not the extremely common Celeron only ones). These can be easily modded into a Tualatin compatible one to run a Tualeron. Or don't mod it and buy a modded Tualatin cpu from korean guy (Ebay).

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 79 of 82, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This computer recycler I use to buy from had a HUGE old hard drive like this one.
He probably ended up throwing it away. But I would have like to get it working again.

Attachments