VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is the process to get an ASUS-P2B Motherboard to run a 133 MHZ FSB Processor? I have read some articles here and there saying its possible, but I am not sure how. I wanted to try a PIII-800 (Coppermine - SL3XQ) in the board and get it running stable if possible...

Or is this out of the range of possibilities?

My board has the Jumpers to set for CPU 133 / PCI 33 for Bus Frequencies, but the Multpiler option only goes to 5.5 (in the manual) and I think I need 6 for the 800.....so the best I could get would be about 731 correct? Also, being a PIII 800EB Slot 1, the voltage is 1.65V. I have read you can change settings on the board to get it working with 1.8V the P2B is looking for. Anyone had any luck with this?

I know another poster on here wanted to run a Coppermine on his below Rev 1.12 board but couldnt, but looking at this website - http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_p … _not_below_1.8V - it mentions its possible via some tweaking...

Reply 1 of 7, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Forget the revision of the P2B. You need to check the voltage regulator. I have a P2B rev. 1.10 working with a 1,1ghz coppermine, so you get the picture.

Reply 2 of 7, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Intel BX chipset has no official support for a 133MHz FSB. You will be overclocking several parts of the board. I would not recommend it, but it might work.

The multiplier is locked in the CPU, so the board's settings will be ignored/overridden.

Voltage support will depend on the revision AND the voltage regulator on the board.

EDIT: there is a recent thread here on a similar subject: P3 600B on Asus P2B 1.04

1982 to 2001

Reply 3 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:

The Intel BX chipset has no official support for a 133MHz FSB. You will be overclocking several parts of the board. I would not recommend it, but it might work.

The BX chipset has PCI dividers for 133 mhz operation, but not generally not AGP. Thus, your PCI cards will be fine, but your AGP card will be running at 88.7 mhz bus clock. So, the NB will be overclocked, the memory controller will be overclocked, the AGP bus (not the GPU, though) will be overclocked. I believe this is the extent of the risk.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 7, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only slot 1 i440 board I know that will safely work @ 133Mhz is the ABIT BE6II. As far as I know the P2B does not support 133Mhz FSB, but later revisions should come with an overclocking option for 133MHz. I'd advise against it, since you will be running AGP out of spec.

Reply 6 of 7, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know this answer is a bit late.

The Asus P2B is a bit of a special case. It's one of few really early Socket 440 BX motherboards that can have support for the 133/4 PCI-divider.

As always It depends on the clock generator. The pre-release boards can have the correct divider but the 133 MHz FSB setting isn't silk screened if it exists. The first retail revision (1.02) has it but the 133 MHz FSB setting isnt always silk screened. Revision 1.03 and 1.04 if they exist probably have it.

With revision 1.05 (if I remember correctly) Asus changed the clock generator to one that diddnt support the /4 PCI divider at 133 MHz but they still silk screened the 133 MHz FSB setting.

Later (dont remember the exact revision) Asus changed the clock generator again to one with 16 settings with one beeing the 133(33) one but they kept the jumper block with 3 FSB jumpers and the 133 MHz setting you could access was of course the 133(44) MHz one. With even later revisions they fixed this by adding a forth jumper in the FSB jumper block.

Boards earlier than revision ~1.12 rarely have VRMs with support for voltages below 1.8v, use a slotket with VID selection jumpers and jumper it for 1.8v. You can even run a 1.4 GHz Tualatin-S this way as the P2B has pretty bad vdrop+vdroop so the actual voltage at 1.8V is ~1.7v during load (at least with my board). I dont take any responsability for Tualatin experiments though as the VRM circuit isnt designed to handle the resulting current (use active cooling on the VRM components and be prepared to replace VRM mosfets and perhaps even the CPU should the magic smoke escape).

All above is only true for vanilla P2B motherboards. Later models like the P2B-F probably do everything right regardless of revision.

It's years ago I tested and researched this and I cant find any notes or the thread I thought I posted here on Vogons so everythng written above is from memory alone and my memory isn't perfect.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 7 of 7, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perfect cpu guide for P2B, P2B-F, P3B-F etc. :

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_p … pgrade_faq.html

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1