VOGONS

Asus A8V deluxe and win98.

Topic actions

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have Asus A8V deluxe motherboard and I noticed that it has win98 drivers on asus home page. I assume it would not work with any dual core cpu in win98se even with drivers? I just wanted to make sure I know what limitations there are if I tried to build win98 system using this motherboard. Sata should work in win98se, right? Or would there be problems installing win98se on a sata hard drive or using sata optical drive for the cd?

Reply 2 of 20, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can use a dual core CPU with windows 95,98, and ME just fine only one of the cores will be visible and the second one will just sit idle you also should be able to disable the unused core or for a best of both worlds you can dual boot 2000 or XP ether one will be able to utilize the other core.

Reply 3 of 20, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You will want to get the latest chipset and storage driver packages from the VIA site, instead of using the older ones on the Asus site.

In particular, you will want the Hyperion 4-in-1, and the VIA V-RAID 6.10C package (listed under "IDE, SATA & RAID" / "VT8237 Integrated Serial ATA RAID controller").

I'm not sure about the A8V Deluxe, but on my K8V-X SE (with VT8237R southbridge), there is no option in the BIOS at all to change the mode of the SATA ports, meaning they are set to "RAID" mode indefinitely. If this is the case also for the A8V Deluxe, you will need to use an IDE device instead to install Windows on. Afterwards it should be possible to access SATA devices from within Win98 after installing the drivers (though I haven't tested this).

Reply 4 of 20, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't remember it being always in raid mode. The sata ports use separate promise sata controller that most likely will require drivers. That is one reason I was worried about being able to install win98 if I use sata optical drive or sata hard drive.

SW-SSG wrote:

You will want to get the latest chipset and storage driver packages from the VIA site, instead of using the older ones on the Asus site.

In particular, you will want the Hyperion 4-in-1, and the VIA V-RAID 6.10C package (listed under "IDE, SATA & RAID" / "VT8237 Integrated Serial ATA RAID controller").

I'm not sure about the A8V Deluxe, but on my K8V-X SE (with VT8237R southbridge), there is no option in the BIOS at all to change the mode of the SATA ports, meaning they are set to "RAID" mode indefinitely. If this is the case also for the A8V Deluxe, you will need to use an IDE device instead to install Windows on. Afterwards it should be possible to access SATA devices from within Win98 after installing the drivers (though I haven't tested this).

Reply 5 of 20, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

I don't remember it being always in raid mode. The sata ports use separate promise sata controller that most likely will require drivers.

Two of the SATA ports are attached to the VT8237 southbridge, while the other two (coloured red in pictures I saw) are attached to the Promise controller.

Reply 6 of 20, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am now trying to install win98 to a sata hard drive on this motherboard. How do I do it exactly? When you boot win98 install cd there is no option to press F6 install additional drivers like there is with winXP.

Reply 7 of 20, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You have to set the SATA ports to IDE or legacy mode. AHCI (standard for SATA, sometimes falsely called "RAID" mode) will not work with windows 98. There is no support in the OS nor are there any drivers to enable it.

Reply 8 of 20, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Koltoroc wrote:

You have to set the SATA ports to IDE or legacy mode. AHCI (standard for SATA, sometimes falsely called "RAID" mode) will not work with windows 98. There is no support in the OS nor are there any drivers to enable it.

The ASUS A8V has no option on setting SATA compatibility mode (believe me, I checked), it always runs in RAID mode which means it won't work on Windows 9x without drivers, so using a SATA hard drive as a Win9x boot device is out. If I wanted to run Windows 98/ME on my AMD64 rig, I'd just install it on an IDE hard drive.

Baoran wrote:

I am now trying to install win98 to a sata hard drive on this motherboard. How do I do it exactly? When you boot win98 install cd there is no option to press F6 install additional drivers like there is with winXP.

To put it plain and simple: You can't (at least not on that motherboard's SATA controller).

Reply 9 of 20, by mauler57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same motherboard and I had a lot of problems getting the AGP drivers installed. I had to use the version 4.55. I am finding event though performance is ok it is still a lot worse than windows xp.
Have any of you guys tweaked to get better performance with this motherboard?

Reply 10 of 20, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Necroposting time? Yay!

AHCI (standard for SATA, sometimes falsely called "RAID" mode) will not work with windows 98.

If controller has AHCI support, the RAID mode will also use it. But AHCI is not supported by old chipsets (or Nvidia). This standard was inproduced in 2004 and original VT8237 predates it.

KCompRoom2000 wrote:

The ASUS A8V has no option on setting SATA compatibility mode

ASUS A8V has compatibility mode in Advanced menu.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 20, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Promise controller works great in win 9x. Don't bother with the Via one.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 12 of 20, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am surprised someone resurrects one of my threads. I like the motherboard and I am still using the system with FX-60 cpu. I have both win98se and winXP installed. I don't remember which VIA chipset driver I installed there though. I remember that I didn't get 3D working in win98 with some of the versions though.

Reply 13 of 20, by Matthew Li

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Baoran wrote on 2020-12-12, 15:09:

I am surprised someone resurrects one of my threads. I like the motherboard and I am still using the system with FX-60 cpu. I have both win98se and winXP installed. I don't remember which VIA chipset driver I installed there though. I remember that I didn't get 3D working in win98 with some of the versions though.

Hi mate, i also just bought a second hand of a8v deluxe, i got one problem. i cannot use my SATA HDD, or SSD.

i tried both red sata posts and the black ports. if use black ports and disable promise sata controler. the hardisk even not starting at all.

if use the red ports, i can find HDD/SDD from boot menu, but cannot find it from BIOS, and also during the windows 7 installation, cannot detect any disks. i use window 7 because i dont think i need to install sata driver during the installation.

waiting for help, thanks.

Reply 14 of 20, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VIA ports are not compatible with SATAII/III standard.

if use the red ports, i can find HDD/SDD from boot menu, but cannot find it from BIOS,

Of course you can't, they are attached to Promise controller which has separate OptionROM.

Reply 15 of 20, by Matthew Li

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-05-25, 11:43:

VIA ports are not compatible with SATAII/III standard.

if use the red ports, i can find HDD/SDD from boot menu, but cannot find it from BIOS,

Of course you can't, they are attached to Promise controller which has separate OptionROM.

hi thanks for reply, so do you mean all via k8t800 pro dont support sata2/3 ?

how about MSI Neo2-F or Abit av8 ? they are all k8t800 pro

Reply 16 of 20, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VT8237 south bridge has hardware bug, it won't identify SATAII or SATAIII HDDs, unless they have SATAI fallback jumper.
Promise SATA controller has only RAID modes available (no PATA emulation or AHCI) which requires driver installation for NT based OS.

Reply 17 of 20, by Matthew Li

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-05-25, 14:06:

VT8237 south bridge has hardware bug, it won't identify SATAII or SATAIII HDDs, unless they have SATAI fallback jumper.
Promise SATA controller has only RAID modes available (no PATA emulation or AHCI) which requires driver installation for NT based OS.

thanks mate

Reply 18 of 20, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Minor update to my statement: you also can set practically any Hitachi/HGST and corresponding rebranded Western Digital SATAII/III hard drives to SATAI mode via some utilities. AFAIK you also can jumper WD Velociraptor to SATAI mode (only with Icepack).

Reply 19 of 20, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Matthew Li wrote on 2021-05-25, 10:42:
Hi mate, i also just bought a second hand of a8v deluxe, i got one problem. i cannot use my SATA HDD, or SSD. […]
Show full quote
Baoran wrote on 2020-12-12, 15:09:

Hi mate, i also just bought a second hand of a8v deluxe, i got one problem. i cannot use my SATA HDD, or SSD.

i tried both red sata posts and the black ports. if use black ports and disable promise sata controler. the hardisk even not starting at all.

if use the red ports, i can find HDD/SDD from boot menu, but cannot find it from BIOS, and also during the windows 7 installation, cannot detect any disks. i use window 7 because i dont think i need to install sata driver during the installation.

waiting for help, thanks.

I don't remember there being any newer drivers for it than ones for win98se and winXP. It has been a while since I changed anything in that PC. I remember I did need to make driver disk for installation with those, but I did not have any other problems. Only problem I have had with the motherboard is that if I disable usb ports I get usb overvoltage error during boot and I can't get to bios until I clear cmos. I am using REV 2 of the motherboard that seems to be a bit different than the original.