VOGONS

First post, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

Just got a motherboard which has no PCI slots. It's a new build, but I'd like to be able to use 3.5 and 5.25 disk drives if possible.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that direct PCIe floppy controllers exist (at least not on eBay/newegg/amazon)

Does anyone have any experience or know if it's possible to use a PCIe to PCI adapter, plugging a PCI floppy controller into that board and having it actually work?

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 22, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

Have you found a PCI floppy controller? Where? 😁

I'm also interested in getting one of those...

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 22, by MERCURY127

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"Catweasel is a universal PCI floppy disk controller that uses unmodified PC diskdrives."

So it possible try pci to pcie adapters and Catweasel... I'm sure not that its will work good. Especially with bootable disks, or with newest os as Vista+.

Or better find some asrock mobo with floppy connector. My asrock 1155 mobo have it.

Reply 4 of 22, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AFAIK the catweasel needs drivers to function and you can't boot from it because of that. It is not a normal FDC, it was a solution to read/write amiga and other non Fat formatted floppies under windows.

Reply 5 of 22, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

good luck getting a catweasel - even if you find one it will be something like 300~500e

asrock tip was good - what mobo model is it?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 22, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The AsRock am3+ 990FX Extreme 4 takes Fx-8370 and below cpu's and has a floppy/ide controller. Was my primary rig until this x58 and Xeon fell into my lap.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 8 of 22, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I could be wrong, but I believe the Standard FDC was somehow tied to the ISA bus (including Super I/O and LPC bus).
With the help of extra drivers and/or EMM386 other controllers could work in DOS or Win9x, however.
External SCSI floppy drives were the only other alternative besides USB drives and the Catweasels that I've seen so far.
Except for 3.5" 1.44MB drives, maybe. The LS120 has an IDE connector and can read/write standard floppies.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 22, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MERCURY127 wrote:

"Catweasel is a universal PCI floppy disk controller that uses unmodified PC diskdrives."

So it possible try pci to pcie adapters and Catweasel... I'm sure not that its will work good. Especially with bootable disks, or with newest os as Vista+.

Or better find some asrock mobo with floppy connector. My asrock 1155 mobo have it.

Mine Asrock Z77 extreme 6 is the last board with a floppy drive connector, due it only will support 3,5 inch 1.44MB drives only. 5.25 isnt supported.

If the board supports UEFI bios, then it doesnt have support for 5.25 inch drives. Because thats never implementend in UEFI.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 11 of 22, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have tried an USB floppy drive.. Technically it did work different.. Seems they are buffering them self. When you want to read a new floppy the old data sometimes stays in that buffer.. USB drives are unreliable. IDE drives wont..

Reply 12 of 22, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That sounds like faulty or cheap modern USB floppy drive to me. I have old Teac, NEC and iomega USB floppy drives and never saw anything similar, and I wrote a number of 1.44, 720 and Mac floppies on those.

Reply 13 of 22, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want to use 5.25 drives at least you should look for Pentium 4 or an Athlon XP motherboard. Most of them should still support 5.25 inch drives.

Reply 14 of 22, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emosun wrote:

why not a usb floppy drive?

I've got a Sinclair ZX Spectrum +3 and an Amstrad CPC 6128. Both have a 765 floppy disk controller connected to a 3 inch floppy disk, but can be converted or use an external 3.5 inch floppy.

The "standard" format for a ZX Spectrum +3 is one side, 40 tracks (starting at 0) and nine 512 byte sectors starting at 0xC0 (instead of being sector 0, sector 1... they are sector 0xC0, 0xC1...), not to mention "special" formats used in games that have bigger sector size or missing sectors.

Floppy USB drives only support standard PC formats, usually 2 sides, 80 tracks and nine or eighteen 512 byte sectors starting at 0 (and even some chinese drives support 18 sectors only), so they won't create floppies usable on those computers. (Note that some boot PC games used also protections based on sector size, missing sectors ant those things)

I compiled a list of PCI multi I/O cards that had floppy disk controllers, but I haven't seen one of those.

With floppy controller: - GIGABYTE GA-107 - GIGABYTE GA-108 - SUNIX 5249P - TYAN S1363-004 - TYAN S1366 […]
Show full quote

With floppy controller:
- GIGABYTE GA-107
- GIGABYTE GA-108
- SUNIX 5249P
- TYAN S1363-004
- TYAN S1366

May have a floppy controller, but not sure:
- Gigabyte GA-410

I hope that this controllers use the same ports as integrated floppy controllers, and that they support strange formats. Have anyone tried one of those?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 16 of 22, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zup wrote:

Floppy USB drives only support standard PC formats, usually 2 sides, 80 tracks and nine or eighteen 512 byte sectors starting at 0 (and even some chinese drives support 18 sectors only), so they won't create floppies usable on those computers.

I'm using my USB Teac to create floppies readable on CPC6128 with external 3.5" drive. In fact, I copy 3" disk images to real disks this way (writing the .DSK on 3.5" floppy in USB drive, then putting the floppy into 3.5" drive connected to CPC.
However, I do agree that copy protection might not work with USB floppy drives.

Reply 17 of 22, by staycool72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The LS120 IDE and SCSI Drives do support reading and writing standard floppy disks

Jo22 wrote on 2017-12-17, 02:17:
I could be wrong, but I believe the Standard FDC was somehow tied to the ISA bus (including Super I/O and LPC bus). With the hel […]
Show full quote

I could be wrong, but I believe the Standard FDC was somehow tied to the ISA bus (including Super I/O and LPC bus).
With the help of extra drivers and/or EMM386 other controllers could work in DOS or Win9x, however.
External SCSI floppy drives were the only other alternative besides USB drives and the Catweasels that I've seen so far.
Except for 3.5" 1.44MB drives, maybe. The LS120 has an IDE connector and can read/write standard floppies.

Reply 19 of 22, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's so much cheaper and easier to just take a low-grade P3/p4 board and use it as a "tweener".

i've been down this road several times. Make an XP32 rig, and load it with all the floppy drives you have. save yourself the headache.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.