VOGONS

First post, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just finished building a nice Windows 98 SE machine, specs below. I'm wondering, what do I have to do to play DVD movies on this thing? I've poked around Google and it seems you need a dedicated DVD decoder card, however, I feel like my system should have enough raw power to software decode (maybe I'm wrong about that). Another thought is that shouldn't my graphics card have a decoder built in? How do I use that with Win98SE? Anyway, any info about how to play DVD movies would be much appreciated... Or if anyone has a link to Win98SE software decoding for DVD that would be cool. Thanks!

Pentium 4 3.2Ghz 1MB cache, 800 bus speed
512 DDR400 RAM (1 stick)
GeForce 5200
CD ROM Drive
Toshiba DVD Drive

Reply 2 of 16, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MERCURY127 wrote:

Cyberlink PowerDVD possible have HW MPEG2 acceleration on FX5200... but not MPEG4/AVC, sure.

I'm not too sure what that means, what's the difference between MPEG2 and MPEG4/AVC? Are some DVD movies made in MPEG2 and other newer ones in MPEG4?

Reply 4 of 16, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The combination of your CPU and graphics adapter IS far more than enough for DVD playback. You simply need to find a version of a suitable DVD playback application that is new enough to take advantage of the GeForce 5200 and old enough to still support Windows 98 SE. Older versions of Cyberlink PowerDVD and Intervideo WinDVD are two such commercial applications, but there are non-commercial applications that you can use as well. VLC is one such application (note that you need KernelEX or an older version of VLC from their FTP archive in order to use it with Win98 SE):

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

You may have been confused by references to Windows 98 DVD Player which is a Microsoft application that ships with the OS.

Last edited by akula65 on 2017-12-17, 19:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 16, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was able to download and install CyberLink PowerDVD 6 along with DirectX 9b and DVD movies play just fine now! I'm not sure if this is accessing the GeForce FX 5200's MPEG encoder but it's smooth so I'm thinking it is. Either way, it works! Thanks a lot guys.

Reply 6 of 16, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
akula65 wrote:

The combination of your CPU and graphics adapter ARE far more than enough for DVD playback. You simply need to find a version of a suitable DVD playback application that is new enough to take advantage of the GeForce 5200 and old enough to still support Windows 98 SE. Older versions of Cyberlink PowerDVD and Intervideo WinDVD are two such commercial applications, but there are non-commercial applications that you can use as well. VLC is one such application (note that you need KernelEX or an older version of VLC from their FTP archive in order to use it with Win98 SE):

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

You may have been confused by references to Windows 98 DVD Player which is a Microsoft application that ships with the OS.

This is a super easy and reliable route IMO, I use KernelEX and vlc media player.. quick and easy.

BTW I get nice smooth playback on a Pentium III 800 + Geforce 3, so surely you'll do fine.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 7 of 16, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wait, what is KernelEX? I tried downloading and installing older versions and current versions of VLC and I can't install them in Win98SE, the older versions throw errors like "a device attached to your system is not functioning properly".

Reply 9 of 16, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
adultlunchables wrote:

Wait, what is KernelEX? I tried downloading and installing older versions and current versions of VLC and I can't install them in Win98SE, the older versions throw errors like "a device attached to your system is not functioning properly".

It allows you to run win 2000 / XP software on windows 98. This way you don't have to dig around on the net for older versions of VLC. It's nice to have anyway because it opens up the ability to use a ton of other programs you may be interested in using.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 11 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
akula65 wrote:

Version 0.8.6 of VLC should install and function properly on a Win98 SE system

/thread

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 12 of 16, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For VLC in 9x, make sure you install unicows.exe first. Extract it to windows/system

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/deta … ls.aspx?id=4237

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 13 of 16, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just for the record, a P3 450 with a diamond viper ultra 770 runs PowerDVD 6 fine on Win98 - not buttery smooth though. I too looked into decoder cards but figured since I got it working via software why bother going further with it.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 14 of 16, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

K-Lite Codec Pack 3.4.5 should be enough to play all kinds of file formats directly in Windows Media Player.

It's the last version still supported by Windows 98/ME.

https://web.archive.org/web/20141116072239/ht … klcodec345f.exe

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 15 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe it's possible to use at least 5.90 Mega via manual "installation", too.
It requires Win9x and KernelEx (compatibility mode has to be set to Windows 2000 SP4).
An earlier version must exist, and has to be overwritten by the 5.90 folder (retrieved from another PC or a VM).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 16 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
schmatzler wrote:

K-Lite Codec Pack 3.4.5 should be enough to play all kinds of file formats directly in Windows Media Player.

It's the last version still supported by Windows 98/ME.

https://web.archive.org/web/20141116072239/ht … klcodec345f.exe

Earlier versions of CCCP work, as well.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder