First post, by p24t

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Symptoms:

*Drive sometimes won't boot
*Win98 pops up a window reporting errors copying from Drive C
*Drive sometimes beeps

Seems like it would be a bad drive, except I picked up another drive on eBay and I'm getting similar issues.

I've tried:

*Different cable/terminator (all rated for 160/320)
*Different SCA adapters
*Different Adaptec 2940U2W card
*Different PCI slot
*Moving cable from LVD to SE port
*Disconnecting SCSI CD drive from bus

Did I just happen to buy another bad drive? I've got so many bad SCSI drives from eBay in the past...

Reply 1 of 12, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my experience, 68-pin to 80-pin converters can be a bit finicky. I've never had a drive actually beep at me, that's a new one in my book, but it sounds like the connection is a tad loose.

Do you have another system to try the configuration in? It could be some strange board incompatibility with your controller.

Reply 4 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What drives, how are they connected? Give some more details and post pictures of the hardware.

Also, this confuses me: "Moving cable from LVD to SE port". If your devices are LVD, then they must be connected to the LVD port. You also need LVD terminator(s) then. It's very important to understand that SE, HVD, and LVD can not be mixed in all ways (HVD is incompatible with SE&LVD; LVD and SE can be mixed, but should not).

Reply 5 of 12, by p24t

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The system used to work fine. The problems started after I swapped computer cases/power supplies. I thought maybe I damaged the drive somehow during the move, but I get this problem on multiple drives, multiple cards, multiple cables, multiple terminators. I'm thinking I'm either really unlucky and have multiple bad drives, or there's something wrong with the power supply. Thing is, this current power supply was powering a modern G3258 system before hand without any troubles.

Details: VS440FX board w/ Pentium Pro 200 512k, Adaptec 2940u2w w/ ultrawide cable connected to an SCA adapter, which connects to the drive (original was a 36GB Cheetah, replacement is a 9GB Compaq-labeled). The card also has a Pioneer slot-load DVD ROM drive connected via 50 pin cable. I have tried completely removing the optical drive from the bus to see if it made a difference. All the cables I tried have LVD/SE terminators on them.

In response to derSammler, these LVD drives can be connected to an SE bus. They just run in SE mode at 40MB/s instead of 80. But doing that didn't help as I get the same problems.

But I think the key point I left out was that all of this did work right, and worked right for a long time until I swapped cases/psu's.

Reply 6 of 12, by p24t

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

P.S. It seems before I get the write errors/problems, I'll hear the drive spin down, then spin back up. I don't recall if it used to spin down like that when everything worked right. But if it's a power issue, it's a weird one because I've tried every molex on the PSU, different SCA adapters, different drives, and the drives only pull about 1A on each of the 5v and 12v rails.

Reply 8 of 12, by p24t

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stojke wrote:

Sounds like a power supply issue. Are you sure it gives the correct voltages under load?

Not sure. I just know it worked with the G3258 system without any troubles.

I have two more drives arriving from eBay soon. I think I'll try them out and if I get the same problem, I'll try a different PSU.

Reply 9 of 12, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A long time ago, we had a computer that would freeze randomly every now and then. It was an old Ambra worth a Cyrix 120MHz chip. When we hit the side of the computer, you would hear the drive spin back up, and everything would work normally.

It turned out that the MOLEX connector to the hard drive was loose, and hitting it would move the connector enough to power the drive.

Moral of the story is to check all of your connections. All the way through the circuit. Try different MOLEX connectors. It might work.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 12 of 12, by p24t

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ampera wrote:

Sounds like it was just a lose connection.

Don't know. I plugged and unplugged everything a number of times when I was trying different parts/cables. It still baffles me. But it works at least 😀