VOGONS

Toshiba T5200 mods and upgrades

Topic actions

Reply 400 of 534, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can someone help me run Windows on my system? I tried Win 3.0 but it just wont start... not even Win 286... and I cant install IBM OS/2 1 ether....
So any help wold be appreciated.... maybe I am selecting wrong settings at installation? (its CGA graphics right?) I sure would love an OS with Wallpaper on it that runs... not just Dos shell, VC.or Nc....

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 401 of 534, by konrad_pentium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ediflorianUS wrote on 2021-01-09, 14:30:

...(its CGA graphics right?)...

No. It's VGA, 640 x 480 with 16 colors. I have Windows 3.1 running on a color T5200. The screen display creates some strange color combinations. They are not the same colors produced when a VGA monitor is connected to the port at the rear of the machine.

EDIT: Not sure how much this may have to do with it, but my machine that runs Windows has 8192 KB of main memory, a TI 486DLC processor and a Cyrix math co-processor.

Reply 402 of 534, by ConventionalMemories

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ediflorianUS wrote on 2021-01-09, 14:30:

Can someone help me run Windows on my system? I tried Win 3.0 but it just wont start... not even Win 286... and I cant install IBM OS/2 1 ether....
So any help wold be appreciated.... maybe I am selecting wrong settings at installation? (its CGA graphics right?) I sure would love an OS with Wallpaper on it that runs... not just Dos shell, VC.or Nc....

Are you talking about your T3100e? Because yes, the T3100e is CGA. But it actually also has DCGA (640x400) support (AKA Olivetti/ AT&T mode). I would use that when installing windows to get the full resolution on that plasma panel.
If I remember correctly the driver should be on the win3.0 and 3.1 instalation disks. (Under Olivetti/AT&T)

Reply 403 of 534, by konrad_pentium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, it would make sense that ediflorianUS is talking about his T3100e. Oops!

Since it's so easy to swap compact flash cards, I tried Windows 3.1 on my monochrome T5200 (4 MB memory, '386 processor, no co-processor). Booted fine.

Reply 404 of 534, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ConventionalMemories wrote on 2021-01-10, 15:47:

Are you talking about your T3100e? Because yes, the T3100e is CGA. But it actually also has DCGA (640x400) support (AKA Olivetti/ AT&T mode). I would use that when installing windows to get the full resolution on that plasma panel.
If I remember correctly the driver should be on the win3.0 and 3.1 installation disks. (Under Olivetti/AT&T)

yeah , it dose not work.... do i need to edit any files? still trying...(L.E. Managed to start win 2.03 with old AT&T monochrome driver... so its work in progress at least 2.03 runs)....

P.S. Any EGA or VGA games are out of the realm of possibilities on this machine, no? (I should not w8st time testing them... right?)

I have 4 mb of ram ( I think its called EXTENDED) added to the board but not sure how to use them in pc-dos...
(all of this is so exciting its re-learning all , from old books and info)....

((Would be great if this Toshiba had adapted SD-CARD/micro-sd card support... (dreams...)....))

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 405 of 534, by ConventionalMemories

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ediflorianUS wrote on 2021-01-17, 10:13:
yeah , it dose not work.... do i need to edit any files? still trying...(L.E. Managed to start win 2.03 with old AT&T monochrom […]
Show full quote

yeah , it dose not work.... do i need to edit any files? still trying...(L.E. Managed to start win 2.03 with old AT&T monochrome driver... so its work in progress at least 2.03 runs)....

P.S. Any EGA or VGA games are out of the realm of possibilities on this machine, no? (I should not w8st time testing them... right?)

I have 4 mb of ram ( I think its called EXTENDED) added to the board but not sure how to use them in pc-dos...
(all of this is so exciting its re-learning all , from old books and info)....

((Would be great if this Toshiba had adapted SD-CARD/micro-sd card support... (dreams...)....))

I took a look at my T3100e to confirm windows was working.
And as I thought, it is just using the olivetti/AT&T driver included in the windows 3.1 installation.
(Running Win3.1 on MS-DOS 6.22)

resize-1611149188162020873420210120134704.jpg
Filename
resize-1611149188162020873420210120134704.jpg
File size
811.43 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Windows 3.1 actually looks pretty good on this monochrome display

And yes EGA and VGA will not work on this machine, the T3100e only supports MDA (plain text), CGA and DCGA (AKA Olivetti/AT&T).

Reply 406 of 534, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any EGA or VGA games are out of the realm of possibilities on this machine, no? (I should not w8st time testing them... right?)

EGA and VGA - nope. But there's plenty of CGA games and some actually look well on monochrome screens - Metal Mutant compared on plasma screens of Toshiba T3100e (CGA) and Toshiba T5100 (CGA/EGA) (one of my personal favourites).

As the owner of a couple of monochrome machines, I started this thread, maybe you will find it useful: Best CGA & Hercules monochrome games

That is indeed dream, but you can put CompactFlash in place of hard drive and by extending the cable, put it on the side of Toshiba for easy access: Re: Toshiba T3200SX BIOS? (that is T3200SX, but I have the same setup in my T3100).

Reply 407 of 534, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
OldCat wrote on 2021-01-21, 09:14:
EGA and VGA - nope. But there's plenty of CGA games and some actually look well on monochrome screens - Metal Mutant compared on […]
Show full quote

Any EGA or VGA games are out of the realm of possibilities on this machine, no? (I should not w8st time testing them... right?)

EGA and VGA - nope. But there's plenty of CGA games and some actually look well on monochrome screens - Metal Mutant compared on plasma screens of Toshiba T3100e (CGA) and Toshiba T5100 (CGA/EGA) (one of my personal favourites).

As the owner of a couple of monochrome machines, I started this thread, maybe you will find it useful: Best CGA & Hercules monochrome games

That is indeed dream, but you can put CompactFlash in place of hard drive and by extending the cable, put it on the side of Toshiba for easy access: Re: Toshiba T3200SX BIOS? (that is T3200SX, but I have the same setup in my T3100).

I found the adapter , if someone has funds should put a Micro sd into a SD adaptor and SD into one of this CF-SD to see if it works....(curious)...

https://www.amazon.com/cf-sd-adapter/s?k=cf+to+sd+adapter
so cool , what version of 3.1 are u using ? can you upload a image of it to archive.com or here.... All I tested wont start... only win 2.03... that is it.... says not enough memory? (may be a memory problem , may need to load expanded memory? it seem to find 64k High Memory area available... (bios seems to be useless regarding memory ... 640k+I can extend to 1-64mb+384kb)

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 408 of 534, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ediflorianUS wrote on 2021-01-24, 15:46:

so cool , what version of 3.1 are u using ? can you upload a image of it to archive.com or here.... All I tested wont start... only win 2.03... that is it.... says not enough memory? (may be a memory problem , may need to load expanded memory? it seem to find 64k High Memory area available... (bios seems to be useless regarding memory ... 640k+I can extend to 1-64mb+384kb)

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention: I run pure DOS. My goal is either games or writing, which I can both comfortably achieve under MS-DOS. I think that running Windows 3.1 on 286 and CGA graphics card can be a bit of a challenge, not sure about 2.03 - I really haven't tried either.

Reply 409 of 534, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
OldCat wrote on 2021-01-25, 13:17:

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention: I run pure DOS. My goal is either games or writing, which I can both comfortably achieve under MS-DOS. I think that running Windows 3.1 on 286 and CGA graphics card can be a bit of a challenge, not sure about 2.03 - I really haven't tried either.

Hello , Could there be a PC-DOS incompatibility?
someone suggested " it's about the realization of fnc implementation in command.com
Read DOS 6.22 specifications for Win3.11 installation "

"Ohh also remove all drivers that you don't use in DOS
it using stak queue for operations. So that may cause a problem"

and how about a bit of help using memory settings? unable to use only first 64k (from 4mb ram , except the main 1 mb) - checked in mem.exe (under dos) so it says its XMS available... free(unused)... i can create a virtual disk from it... but thats about it... not sure how 2.03 win runs and the rest will not .

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 410 of 534, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it seem to find 64k High Memory area available... (bios seems to be useless regarding memory ... 640k+I can extend to 1-64mb+384kb)

I guess you mean 4mb (not 64mb??). As i recall, in order to use XMS as EMS you 'd have to use a software driver to emulate the latter. Unless of course you have a memory expansion card with its own drivers for this purpose.

I run my old IBM ps/2 model 30-286 using an Acculogic RamPat!plus card (4mb) and it came with its own drivers for this purpose.

Reply 411 of 534, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
my03 wrote on 2021-01-26, 19:31:

it seem to find 64k High Memory area available... (bios seems to be useless regarding memory ... 640k+I can extend to 1-64mb+384kb)

I guess you mean 4mb (not 64mb??). As i recall, in order to use XMS as EMS you 'd have to use a software driver to emulate the latter. Unless of course you have a memory expansion card with its own drivers for this purpose.

I run my old IBM ps/2 model 30-286 using an Acculogic RamPat!plus card (4mb) and it came with its own drivers for this purpose.

no card just 4x 1mb 30pin sims in laptop. It really makes my head hurt... i just wanted to run win for wallpaper but XMS EMS AND ALL THE PAST MEMORY MANAGEMENT gives me a headache (i am not that great to sort it all out - so i concluded i am doing something wrong or some data is lacking in config.sys/autoexec)

P.S. Thanks for replay , maybe give me some tips on PM?

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 412 of 534, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ediflorianUS,

i will. Just wanted to mention that i did try software such as Quarterdeck QEMM and also QRam on the IBM but it didn't like it one bit (but perhaps it would be worth trying on the Toshiba??). I ended up using the "MM" utility that i found when searching for the RamPat card (which worked nicely).

Reply 413 of 534, by shimart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IanB wrote on 2018-01-16, 04:15:
(continued from previous post) […]
Show full quote

(continued from previous post)

One of the machines had 14MB of RAM, the second had 6MB and the last had only the standard 2MB so I modified that one by removing the proprietary SIMM slots from the RAM expansion board and making a small sub board with standard 72 pin SIMM slots. I then wired that to the RAM expansion board giving 14MB on that machine (2x2MB +1x8MB SIMMs).

RAM1-2.jpg
On that same machine I mounted two extra ISA cards in the space where the hard drive was (A network card and a sound card) and used the two standard ISA slots for other ISA cards

ISA1-2.jpg
This meant that I couldn't use the same space to mount the CF card on that machine so I came up with an alternative mounting which used a different type of CF adapter with a very short IDE extension cable bent around the adapter so that it could be mounted directly above the IDE socket.

ALTCF1-2.jpg
ALTCF3.jpg
I had to patch the BIOS to support some of the above changes:
1. Change one of the HD types to 528MB
2. Detect and initialise the Cyrix and TI 386 to 486 upgrades so no driver software was required in the OS (code skipped if 386 processor detected)
3. Detect a slave CF card on the IDE port and initialise the CMOS correctly
4. Change the external floppy type from 5.25" to 3.5" so that the external GOTEK drive on the printer port worked correctly (The original T5200 external floppy was 5.25" so the BIOS always assumes that when an external floppy is detected)

I also made a custom version of XTIDE to work with the BIOS to support large CF cards (The standard version of XTIDE made Windows 95 run in MSDOS compatibility mode and also stopped Windows 2/386 and Windows 3.0 from running at all)

Finally, to make use of the large CF cards I used grub4dos to make a multiboot system so I could boot virtually any OS that would run on the system.

Boot.jpg
If anyone wants any further details on any of these mods, please let me know.

Grub4dos working fine on T3200sx?

I installed grub4dos in the MBR with [bootlace 0x80] command on the CF card of T3200sx, but it is down at the boot stage.

========== Booting Start ==========

3200 BIOS V5.30 (Award) Update 1.0 HIMEM 639K
XTIDE Universal BIOS (386) @ F900h (GPL v2)
v2.0.OB3+ (2818-02-22)

Master at 1F0h: 2GB CompactFlash Card
Slave at 1F0h: not found

Booting A:
Booting C:

Press hot-key to boot previous MBR, any other key to start GRUB
Timeont : 4
Try (hd0,0): FAT16

========= Down the T3200sx ========

Does anyone know the solution?

Reply 414 of 534, by ConventionalMemories

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the late reply. I'm using standard MS-dos 6.22 and win3.1 images
First installed dos and immediately installed win after, no changes in autoexec or config.sys.
How do you have your memory set up in the bios? As expanded or extended? I'd make sure it's configured as extended if you're having memory issues.

Reply 415 of 534, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ConventionalMemories wrote on 2021-01-31, 15:42:
Sorry for the late reply. I'm using standard MS-dos 6.22 and win3.1 images First installed dos and immediately installed win aft […]
Show full quote

Sorry for the late reply. I'm using standard MS-dos 6.22 and win3.1 images
First installed dos and immediately installed win after, no changes in autoexec or config.sys.
How do you have your memory set up in the bios? As expanded or extended? I'd make sure it's configured as extended if you're having memory issues.

The memory is Extended,(XMS) I checked with DOS\MEM.EXE

L.E. It seems I do have a memory problem... tried with EMM286 but failed
During installation seems system goes out of memory.... and because of this it now refusing to start GUI part of it , says install more memory on win311... so I am heading NOWHERE fast... If I reboot to have the memory I cant continue installation because it starts over... and files in C:\WINDOWS are incomplete (setup.exe file there wants to install os in different folder)

so i need to start gui part without restarting setup... anyone know witch file to edit so it clears memory after first part of installation?
I know i messed it all up.. so frustrating... I also found a floppy drive version of win 3 that runs in CGA ... just enter win and starts right up in real mode from floppy....

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 416 of 534, by xmamat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OldCat wrote on 2019-02-25, 08:53:

Have you, by any chance, modded / changed / dabbled in Toshiba T3200 as well? If so, how close are the insides to T3200SX? Enough to reuse, say, power supply or memory banks?

I'm the owner of three T3200 (plain, not SX), one with a smashed plasma display. Rather than trying to find a replacement for the third and considering the fact that the first two already have a working plasma, I have the project of doing the same kind of mod Vipersan did for the T3200SX with VGA, to get a practical 286/EGA gaming machine.
I'm using IanB's RGBtoHDMI to convert the EGA to a modern 1920x1200 LCD that I bought from China for 30 euros. This resolution is perfect to take into account the 5:6 pixel ratio used in old CGA/EGA games to scale up to 1600x1200 in interpolated mode (with vertical back bars on the sides), but can also be scaled in integer 6x from 320x200 to fullscreen for games that use a square pixel ratio (such as Planet X3).

For now, I have plugged the RGBtoHDMI to the external display connector but this not ideal. I was wondering if it's possible to wire the internal cable that was connected to the broken plasma directly to the scaler.

BCfN0kC.jpeg

I'm also planning to populate the two ISA slots with an XT-IDE for mass storage since the original HDD is missing, and a Sound Blaster 2.0 with CMS upgrade.

Reply 418 of 534, by xmamat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope, the back board was fine. I've transferred and tested it OK on the plasma panel of one of my other T3200 (which board actually had issue since the display showed vertical lines, but there wasn't apparent leakage on this one either).

The panel of the T3200 shown in the photo was just smashed beyond repair during transport, as you can see 😒

Reply 419 of 534, by djrm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings, have Just received my second T3200SX, broken hard disk, good floppy and screen with 3MB ram, seems ok.
I have burned a new bios and replaced the hard disk and its up and running now.
This one has an internal modem fitted as COM2, I'd like to try it on my PBX and get it talking.
I cannot find any information on the modem, any leads anyone please?
Attached photo show modem in compartment.
KInd regards, David.

Attachments

• IMG_20210511_170213.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210511_170213.jpg
    File size
    468.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception