VOGONS

First post, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-5SMM.

The manual says it "Supports 512 KB Pipeline Burst Sync. 2nd Level Cache.", a dubious statement that may or may not say that the cache is already fitted on the board. Everything optional is said to be "supported", while on-board things like the audio and video are said to be "integrated".

Promo shots show a board fully populated, but every other amateur picture I find are missing some chips. Here's the terribly blurry shot from Gigabyte:

218.jpg

The four chips right under the golden heatsink (SIS530) are missing:

IMG_20180122_125343442.jpg
Filename
IMG_20180122_125343442.jpg
File size
964.18 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I have yet to test the board: the initial inspection made me very curious. I don't think I'll send it back because every other shot done by actual users online show them missing, so a fully populated board may be very difficult to find. But I wonder if I am missing something, and if it will affect the performance of the computer?

Reply 1 of 6, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The board says "SDRAM50" under the missing chips, so those are probably dedicated RAM for integrated graphics. Assuming that's what they are, having them missing shouldn't matter if you're using a PCI graphics card.

Not sure where the L2 cache is, but it might be that chip to the upper right of your photo (between the chipset, DIMM slots, and the blue dip switch). What do the markings on that chip say?

Reply 2 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That ISSI chip next to the socket is your L2 cache.

This is a board with SiS 530 chipset with integrated VGA. The 530 could either use UMA (VGA shares system memory) or a dedicated DRAM frame buffer. Performance was far better with the DRAM on board, but of course it added cost. Gigabyte was pretty notorious around 2000 for producing boards with lots of optional features but only including them on demand. The RAM chips you see on the top image but not in the bottom one are DRAM (probably SDRAM) chips. That's what's missing from your board. It will work fine without them, but performance when using the integrated SiS 6306 VGA will be abysmal as opposed to just bad with the frame buffer.

Reply 3 of 6, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, ok!

I'm glad you guys were able to identify the missing parts.

With that solved, yes, I was considering using that integrated video card with a Voodoo 2. Given the very limited space allowed by the µATX format, I was hoping to make the most of the integrated peripherals. I don't suppose I can install these DRAM modules myself? I'm confident I could solder them, but I also see it's missing a bunch of resistors and caps next to it, and I wouldn't know what to add.

What I plan to add to that board
- K6-III+ 450
- 256/512MB RAM
- Voodoo2 8MB
- Aureal Vortex 2 or Guillemot Maxi Sound Fortissimo (YMF744) (still unsure)
- Gravis Ultrasound (not owned yet)

That gives me a spare ISA/PCI slot,which I can only use for another graphics card if I'm satisfied with the MIDI output of the GUS or if I can manage to have access to a MIDI module on the Vortex 2 under DOS. Else I will need to add another ISA sound card. I haven't tried anything yet.

Reply 4 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Running that on integrated graphics would hopelessly handicap this system. The problem isn't even the VGA performance itself (bad in any event) but the fact that with UMA the VGA shares memory access with the CPU. That means that you lose a significant amount of memory bandwidth, which tended to bottleneck So7 systems at the best of times. The integrated L2 cache on the K6-3+ will compensate that a bit, but my guess is that a K6-2 at the same clock on a board without integrated graphics would run rings around it, so waste of an exceptional CPU in that case.

No experience with soldering DRAM chips in a case like this (my skill is good enough for caps and Raspberry Pi Hats, but SMD is definitely beyond me at the moment), but YMMV I guess, particularly given the other components. Best you could do is try to find a high-res photo of a board with the chips to see what else you're missing exactly. With a bit of luck BIOS would recognise it and make use of it.

That said. I'd recommend a motherboard without integrated graphics as even with the framebuffer installed the SiS 6306 is a snail, and if that's not an option, just disable it and use PCI VGA. Pretty much any PCI S3 or ATi chip should easily beat this thing, even with its framebuffer present and active. Only try to solder the memory if you want that specific challenge.

Reply 5 of 6, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately finding those in a µATX format is very difficult. I only ever identified two models that were positively super socket 7 and µATX, and both use an integrated SIS 530 as an AGP video card. I would love to find a motherboard with a free AGP slot, 1/2 PCI and 1/2 ISA, but I don't think that ever existed.

I wanted to put a single Voodoo 3 in there, but the prices have gone crazy recently for the PCI version.
I considered getting like a GeForce MX400, but that might be overkill with a K6.