VOGONS

Reply 40 of 138, by variable

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm after some drivers etc. for my Vaio Picturebook PCG-C1XA and was excited to see this archived. I'm having some issues with the torrent though, it's only showing 17 parts rather than the 106 in the file listing. Not sure what's up, I've tried a different torrent client/re-adding/re-downloading etc but no luck so far.

Reply 42 of 138, by Nar001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2019-03-02, 23:35:
I have uploaded the contents of ftp.vaio-link.com to archive.org: https://archive.org/details/ftp.vaio-link.com […]
Show full quote

I have uploaded the contents of ftp.vaio-link.com to archive.org:
https://archive.org/details/ftp.vaio-link.com

I had to put it in archive format because the uploader freaked out when I tried to just upload it as-is.. too many files and folders for it to process.

This is a 106 part ZIP file, with all but the last part being DVD sized.

It took almost all week for it to finish uploading all 459GB.

Anybody want to download the whole thing to verify that it will unzip correctly?

Older post I know but I can't send PMs yet, apparently the torrent only registers 70gb and not all the rest? Anywhere to download the rest?

Reply 43 of 138, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have two Vaios (a PCG-R505GL and a PCG-K15) and I hope drivers have been archived for both as right now neither one has a hard drive and both will need them.

Reply 44 of 138, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-04-03, 07:43:

Sounds like there is a widespread driverpocalypse in motion.

Darn Google, man. My guess is their recent decision to remove FTP support from Chrome inspired all these manufacturers to do some spring cleaning. 🙁

And get this: they recently restored it due to the COVID-19 crisis, which is basically an admission that they acted too hastily.

Reply 47 of 138, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nar001 wrote on 2020-05-04, 20:01:
I have uploaded the contents of ftp.vaio-link.com to archive.org: https://archive.org/details/ftp.vaio-link.com […]
Show full quote

I had to put it in archive format because the uploader freaked out when I tried to just upload it as-is.. too many files and folders for it to process.

Anybody want to download the whole thing to verify that it will unzip correctly?

Older post I know but I can't send PMs yet, apparently the torrent only registers 70gb and not all the rest? Anywhere to download the rest?

Over on the right hand side, you can get to all the files. You will just need to download them one at a time. I tried refactoring / deriving the page in the hope that it would remake the torrent but it didn't work.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 48 of 138, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-05-13, 01:19:
Nar001 wrote on 2020-05-04, 20:01:
Show full quote

Over on the right hand side, you can get to all the files. You will just need to download them one at a time. I tried refactoring / deriving the page in the hope that it would remake the torrent but it didn't work.

So can you download just what you need or do you have to download everything?

Reply 49 of 138, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, you have to download everything as it is one huge archive. But if you already have some of the files, you can just download the ones you don't already have.

It would be a massive, massive project to organize everything into separate independent zip files and I just don't have time to do anything like that right now.

Edit: I deleted the torrent file and am waiting for it to recreate it. I think that should fix the torrent. From the date the original torrent was made, it looks like it did indeed make it before I was done uploading the files.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 51 of 138, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you know specific file names that you need? If not, I can set up an ftp and you can look around.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 52 of 138, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-05-13, 02:31:

Do you know specific file names that you need? If not, I can set up an ftp and you can look around.

Nope, just the machines I need them for. A PCG-R505GL and a PCG-K15.

Reply 53 of 138, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, I'm copying the ftp backup to an external drive and then I'll set up my ftp with that drive. External drive is only USB 2.0 so it is going to take a while. I won't get to put it up until tomorrow.

The ftp is not really organized by model number. They had it more set up to have the files in folders based on what kind of driver they were. However, there is an "Original" folder on there that has some driver packs for different models although I didn't specifically see any that were for the exact models you are looking for.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 54 of 138, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-05-13, 02:48:

Ok, I'm copying the ftp backup to an external drive and then I'll set up my ftp with that drive. External drive is only USB 2.0 so it is going to take a while. I won't get to put it up until tomorrow.

The ftp is not really organized by model number. They had it more set up to have the files in folders based on what kind of driver they were. However, there is an "Original" folder on there that has some driver packs for different models although I didn't specifically see any that were for the exact models you are looking for.

Hmm, that's an annoying setup. Well I'll look around and try to see if I can find the hardware for those machines to get drivers. The R505GL just needs networking drivers at this point but the K15 needs everything.

Reply 55 of 138, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-05-13, 03:05:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-05-13, 02:48:

Hmm, that's an annoying setup. Well I'll look around and try to see if I can find the hardware for those machines to get drivers. The R505GL just needs networking drivers at this point but the K15 needs everything.

Check out the marketing specification sheets. That should help:
PCG-K15
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/233739/Sony … -Marketing.html

PCG-R505GL
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/233914/Sony … Pcg-R505gl.html

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 56 of 138, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-05-13, 01:17:

why are they removing FTP support? what has it been replaced with?

FTP is a pretty shitty protocol imho. It's hard to implement this in a secure way because of all the port shenanigans and as soon as you run an FTP server you will get hammered with requests from idiots trying to get in and take control of it. It also lacks in speed when transferring a multitude of small files.

There are much better protocols for file transfers like rsync, SFTP or in some cases even WebDAV.
Simple serving of files can be done over HTTPS and if you need a good file index, install a tool like h5ai on your webserver. Done.

There really is no need for browsers to still support FTP. Let it die already.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 57 of 138, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2020-05-13, 17:03:
FTP is a pretty shitty protocol imho. It's hard to implement this in a secure way because of all the port shenanigans and as soo […]
Show full quote

FTP is a pretty shitty protocol imho. It's hard to implement this in a secure way because of all the port shenanigans and as soon as you run an FTP server you will get hammered with requests from idiots trying to get in and take control of it. It also lacks in speed when transferring a multitude of small files.

There are much better protocols for file transfers like rsync, SFTP or in some cases even WebDAV.
Simple serving of files can be done over HTTPS and if you need a good file index, install a tool like h5ai on your webserver. Done.

FTP did have one advantage over HTTP from a security perspective, though: out-of-band signaling. Had HTTP been originally designed to have the control commands and the actual data transmitted over separate ports, like with FTP, then things like cross-site scripting would never have been an issue. (Of course, since it was initially just intended to serve up static documents, that wasn't considered to be necessary at the time.)

I know this has since been mitigated in a different way in more recent HTTP revisions, and you do make a valid point about the multiple ports being a maintenance headache for server admins.

But most of your concerns pertain tot the server-side of FTP. So why not first keep FTP client support in the browsers as a clearly deprecated feature for awhile, with a (even more noticeable?) warning icon in the URL bar indicating an insecure connection, like what's being done with bare HTTP (non-HTTPS) connections? Yeah, FTP should eventually be removed, but they can at least sunset it more gradually.

At least such a warning icon and/or a clearer advance deprecation notice could have been a queue to the legacy/retro/vintage computer enthusiast community to start downloading and safeguarding public FTP sites, knowing they would be going down soon.

OTOH, perhaps we should have realized this and acted on it in an organized fashion much earlier.

I guess I'm just a little annoyed with Google's action waking up so many sleeping dogs in the hardware manufacturing industry. "Oh wait, don't we still have some old public FTP servers up, serving outdated no-longer-supported crap? Quick, let's pull the plug on them and save unnecessary expenses. Nah, who cares about migrating all of that old stuff any more?"

Reply 58 of 138, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
schmatzler wrote on 2020-05-13, 17:03:
FTP is a pretty shitty protocol imho. It's hard to implement this in a secure way because of all the port shenanigans and as soo […]
Show full quote

I agree with browsers not needing to support it.. it was super cludgy anyway. No way to download multiple files, directory changing is slow, some ftp sites simply will not work with it, etc.

However, it is nice to be able to use something like Napalm ftp indexer and go take a quick look at an ftp before connecting with Filezilla or some other ftp client.

I don't have a problem with lots of small files as long as the ftp server doesn't have some stupid low limit set as far as connections go. Just up the number of connections in the ftp client's setting and let it go.

As far as them removing the ftp sites.. yes, it sucks big time.

At the same time I understand why they are doing it. Their web pages for the downloads didn't actually work properly anymore and so they just decided to purge all the old stuff at once.

They probably also go by how often that stuff was being downloaded. Not much point (business-wise) in keeping really old stuff around that:
1. They don't make money off of
2. Almost nobody ever downloads it.
3. The links to the files from the web site don't work.
4. The pages for those old products don't work.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 59 of 138, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
variable wrote on 2020-04-03, 07:14:

Hi, I'm after some drivers etc. for my Vaio Picturebook PCG-C1XA and was excited to see this archived. I'm having some issues with the torrent though, it's only showing 17 parts rather than the 106 in the file listing. Not sure what's up, I've tried a different torrent client/re-adding/re-downloading etc but no luck so far.

I'll check and see if I have the original restore CDs for the C1XA when I get home tonight. I know I have a couple different restore packs for the C1 series but not sure of the exact ones. In any case, I'll image the rest of the Sony stuff I have and put it up on archive.org.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK