VOGONS

Reply 21 of 35, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2019-11-29, 08:52:
Obligatory apology for the old thread bump. However, this is definitely where this information belongs. I stumbled upon this thr […]
Show full quote

Obligatory apology for the old thread bump. However, this is definitely where this information belongs. I stumbled upon this thread when looking for parallel port storage options, and in a crazy coincidence, immediately found the unit below on ebay. Completely new in box for $12. This model is a PIA2 (as opposed to Ozzuneoj's PIC2), and is actually an ATA flash reader. Just add a PCMCIA adapter, and you've got a CF card reader.

Thanks to the info posted, I knew exactly what to look for on the disk. And the set of files was pretty much identical. The disk wouldn't read in my 486, but I managed to get everything off it with a USB floppy drive (save for setup.bmp which was corrupted- not needed here but I did grab the one from the PIC2 package so I could put together a complete zip to upload).

Connections including the keyboard connector power tap were identical to those described. And so was installation; run CDISK.EXE and that was that. A new storage option on my 486, this time at the front for easier access.

So thank you Ozzuneoj for this thread, and I hope my info also helps others in the future.

The package (my CF card and PCMCIA adapter are also pictured):

ftTCdIul.jpg

More pics (label & box details etc) in high res: https://imgur.com/a/Ed4VAOw

PIA2 driver files attached.

@Pierre32 I bought the Sony MSACPR1 which looks almost the same as FilmReader. However, after I installed the DOS driver, it keeps showing "Commuter Disk drive is not present". And it works in Windows 95 with the bundled software on the same laptop.
Is there any way I can tell the Sony MSACPR1 is a clone of the FilmReader or not? Thanks

Attachments

• s-l1600 (9).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (9).jpg
    File size
    51.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22 of 35, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We could compare internals, but to be honest I'm reluctant to crack mine open as I'd have to remove the original feet to access the screws. I suspect they have different bloodlines anyway. I did find some leads though:

Win9x driver download for the MSAC-PR1 (doesn't look like there's DOS support in this package): http://www.gmfok.com/drivers/digital_foto/son … file/19477.html

This page has a Windows download too, and also tells us that it has common hardware with SCM Microsystems: https://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php … driverid=218732

This page tells us that SCM was formerly Shuttle Technology: http://wa8lmf.net/D700/ ...at the bottom ("August 2000 Update") there is a dead link to "SCM Parallel-to-ATA (Hard Disk) Ver 1.44" (Windows only?)

Earlier in the page they also mention the older Shuttle driver pack "EPATRM". Shuttletech is on Wayback and you can access their download pages, although it doesn't serve the files up. https://web.archive.org/web/19980601000000*/w … shuttletech.com

Here's the intriguing file it tries to grab though:

ftp://ftp.webcom.com/pub7/shuttle/software/webinst/epatrm/dos/dosepatr.exe

Reply 23 of 35, by Mephusto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey I just got a similar one from Ebay the other day myself. I've only tried it on windows 98 so far but it works well for me. I just have a 2GB cf card but it had no trouble transferring. I'll get some pictures and post them on my next day or if I can remember

Reply 24 of 35, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2020-09-08, 23:25:
We could compare internals, but to be honest I'm reluctant to crack mine open as I'd have to remove the original feet to access […]
Show full quote

We could compare internals, but to be honest I'm reluctant to crack mine open as I'd have to remove the original feet to access the screws. I suspect they have different bloodlines anyway. I did find some leads though:

Win9x driver download for the MSAC-PR1 (doesn't look like there's DOS support in this package): http://www.gmfok.com/drivers/digital_foto/son … file/19477.html

This page has a Windows download too, and also tells us that it has common hardware with SCM Microsystems: https://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php … driverid=218732

This page tells us that SCM was formerly Shuttle Technology: http://wa8lmf.net/D700/ ...at the bottom ("August 2000 Update") there is a dead link to "SCM Parallel-to-ATA (Hard Disk) Ver 1.44" (Windows only?)

Earlier in the page they also mention the older Shuttle driver pack "EPATRM". Shuttletech is on Wayback and you can access their download pages, although it doesn't serve the files up. https://web.archive.org/web/19980601000000*/w … shuttletech.com

Here's the intriguing file it tries to grab though:

ftp://ftp.webcom.com/pub7/shuttle/software/webinst/epatrm/dos/dosepatr.exe

@Pierre32 I made some progress. Because @lolo799 mentioned the Datafab drivers name called epathd.exe and aspihdrm.exe (vs EPATRM), so I downloaded the Datafab driver from:
Datafab-parallel-port-compact-flash-reader

The DOS driver installed without problem. During the boot process, it shows (I have a 2GB SD card in the reader)

Drives supported by the Device Driver:
SCSI ID #0 @HA #1: 2013 MB, 960 Cyl, 128 Heads, 32 Sec/Trk

Physical Drives Present: 1
Logical Drives Present: 1

Drives Supported E:

However, when I type e: in DOS, it throw an error "General failure reading drive A"

The installation added two lines to config.sys
DEVICE=C:\DATAFAB\EPATHD.SYS /B /FLASH
DEVICE=C:\DATAFAB\ASPIHDRM.SYS /S

I will try to find a Datafab user guide to understand these command line options.

Last edited by sangokushi on 2020-09-09, 09:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26 of 35, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Pierre32 Indeed, that's problem of my flash card.

Since the Sony reader is for PC Card, I was testing with a 2GB SD card with PC Card reader.
After I switched to 2GB CF card with PC Card reader, the error message is gone.
However, there is a new issue.
Even though there are couple files in the 2GB CF card, command "dir" shows no file exists.

I will order a PC Card memory from eBay and try again. Do you know what's a good one? (meaning less compatibility issue)

Reply 27 of 35, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sangokushi wrote on 2020-09-09, 05:42:
@Pierre32 Indeed, that's problem of my flash card. […]
Show full quote

Since the Sony reader is for PC Card, I was testing with a 2GB SD card with PC Card reader.
Even though there are couple files in the 2GB CF card, command "dir" shows no file exists.

I will order a PC Card memory from eBay and try again. Do you know what's a good one? (meaning less compatibility issue)

You may need to format the card on the old computer you're using. The card reader driver should have a format utility.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 28 of 35, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2020-09-09, 15:22:
Show full quote

You may need to format the card on the old computer you're using. The card reader driver should have a format utility.

I checked Datafab folder, I don't see any format utility.
I borrowed a ATA flash card and successfully tested read and write in DOS.
Thus the Sony MSACPR1 works in DOS with the Datafab driver from Datafab-parallel-port-compact-flash-reader
Thanks everyone!

Reply 30 of 35, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

You should try with a smaller CF card, like a 512MB one.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 31 of 35, by 4xtx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2020-08-25, 23:11:

Also keen to hear how you go with drivers, @4xtx

It took a lot of patience and time but I was successful in getting the luggable to accept the Compact Flash reader and its 64MB card 😀
Now I use a boot disk to strap the drivers then I use the parallel port drive as C:
As you can see from my attachment, I got Windows 3.0 to load using CGA driver under real mode.

Here's notes in case any other Sharp PC-7000 / PC-7100 user comes across this:
* I used Datafab Mdcfe-sr and it contains Shuttle EP1284-01 Parallel SCSI interface
* Turn the screen to inverse. For whatever reason if I didn't do this I'd get screen flickering and eventually it stops POST until I fully disassemble the screen.
* Do the above step as soon as possible after booting YMMV
* The parallel port does not supply enough power - use a 5V USB to PS/2 converter or similar PSU.
* I used the simple EPATHD /B /FLASH and ASPIHDRM /S loaded via EXE (not CONFIG.SYS).
* SMARTDRV didn't seem to help, just used memory - don't bother.
* R/W performance will be very low-end 1) as this is an 8086 and 2) the Parallel port can only operate in NIBBLE

Here's my disktest.exe results based on 64k size:
Write: 77.11KB/S
Read: 130.61KB/S
8K RND: 11.0 IOPS
Sector Random Read: 36.4 IOPS
Avg Access Time (inc. overheads): 27ms

Compared to the USB Gotek Floppy Emulator:
Write: 8.32KB/s
Read: 13.09KB/s
8K RND: 1.3 IOPS
Sector Random Read: 5.4 IOPS
Avg Access Time (inc. overheads): 186ms

I will do a larger set of posts separately for the PC-7100 as I have more experiments to do 😀

Attachments

• IMG_4200.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_4200.jpg
    File size
    83.04 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Sharp PC-7100 Windows 3.0
    File license
    Public domain

YT: https://www.youtube.com/@techdistractions

Reply 32 of 35, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool little portable! Just checked the manual, it supports up to 704KB conventional memory! 😎

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 33 of 35, by 4xtx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2020-09-23, 15:19:

Cool little portable! Just checked the manual, it supports up to 704KB conventional memory! 😎

I've ordered some chips to experiment 😀
The bank on the board actually says "ST2-6 768KB"
My hope is that I can load some TSR/Driver into this space and leave as much of the 640K free as possible.

Reply 34 of 35, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
4xtx wrote on 2020-10-02, 04:58:
I've ordered some chips to experiment :-) The bank on the board actually says "ST2-6 768KB" My hope is that I can load some TSR […]
Show full quote
Jo22 wrote on 2020-09-23, 15:19:

I've ordered some chips to experiment 😀
The bank on the board actually says "ST2-6 768KB"
My hope is that I can load some TSR/Driver into this space and leave as much of the 640K free as possible.

Good news! Glad to hear! ^^
By using the 704K tool (704k.zip) you might be even able to use that memory directly, as normal DOS memory.
A few videos and links can be found in an older thread of mine.

I wish you the very best.
Good luck! 🙂

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 35 of 35, by 4xtx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update: I can use the 704k as conventional memory without any other software installed (excuse the overly reflective screen)

I'm using DOS 6.22 boot disk and CF drivers are loaded which is causing a bit of memory to be used.
Running DOS 2.1 off a boot disk without CF drivers nets me around 670K free
One experiment I'm yet to try is using the gotek w/ nFormat to load the 2.5mb "double density" windows 3.0 image to see what I get free memory wise..
I suspect it'd be over 420KB

Attachments