VOGONS

First post, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I read on several sites that the Katmai core Pentium III's came in both SECC and SECC2 forms.

I know the Deschutes core Pentium II's received a SECC2 version near the end of their lifespan, but I've never seen a SECC Pentium III ever. Has anyone else, though?

My Windows 98 PC: Slot 1 Pentium III 600 (Katmai) | 256MB PC133 SDRAM | 64MB Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Pro | Creative SB16 CT2230 | Intel PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN* | 18.64GB Seagate ST320011A | Corsair CX430 | ASUS P2B Rev. 1.04

Reply 1 of 8, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If they existed (big if) they must have been very early ones. I don't think any you could ever buy were SECC 1. I suppose there might have been engineering or validation sample that used the old cartridge, or maybe the very first production batch going to OEMs. If they exist they must exceptionally rare.

I have never seen them either

Reply 2 of 8, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems like Pentium III 450MHz SL38E and 500MHz SL38F were SECC. Never knew the existed myself, but I also think it's an OEM part.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 8, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apparently they weren't even original; they flat out reused the Pentium II's cartridge without altering the name of the processor and just slapped the new specs and code on it.

My Windows 98 PC: Slot 1 Pentium III 600 (Katmai) | 256MB PC133 SDRAM | 64MB Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Pro | Creative SB16 CT2230 | Intel PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN* | 18.64GB Seagate ST320011A | Corsair CX430 | ASUS P2B Rev. 1.04

Reply 6 of 8, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got one of these. It's an SL38F / 500 MHz version manufactured in week 6 of 1999. They are OEM-only and were never sold as boxed processors.

The general theory I've read is that they were made early in the PIII production run. The early date on mine, and the early date on the SL38F Kamerat posted would agree with that theory, since they were made in February 1999 about two weeks before the Pentium III launch date. The SL38E you posted was made in July of 1999, so that goes against the theory that they were only made early in the production run. Perhaps there was a specific OEM that had certain thermal or packaging requirements that ordered enough quantity to get intel to make special versions.

Intel did at least forgo the Pentium II markings on them.

Attachments

• PIII_SL38F.jpg
    Filename
    PIII_SL38F.jpg
    File size
    111.75 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 8, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Woah, they must really be rare. To go deeper, I hear there were also 400MHz OEM PIII's, but that seems a bit farfetched.

Reply 8 of 8, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PKFreeZZy wrote:

Woah, they must really be rare. To go deeper, I hear there were also 400MHz OEM PIII's, but that seems a bit farfetched.

I've never heard of a 400 MHz production PIII. I have seen 400 MHz Pentium III engineering samples which were built in both SECC and SECC2 packages. Neither have any valid production S-Specs though. Interestingly, the SECC2 version (Q855) has a 133 MHz bus and 3x multiplier.