VOGONS

First post, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a 5x86 upgrade cpu with a single broken pin. I checked the Socket 2 pin-out, and it's pin D20. I found a photo of the original box contents, and it appears that the PCB sits on a removable plastic PGA platform. I can't put the CPU in my socket 2 board without the platform because the DIP switches will hit the center of the socket. Does anyone have a source for these PGA platforms? It's made by a company called ANDON Electronics. They still exist, but don't sell these in platforms in small quantities.

Attachments

• 5x86_2.jpg
    Filename
    5x86_2.jpg
    File size
    246.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 5x86_1.jpg
    Filename
    5x86_1.jpg
    File size
    228.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 13, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the link. That does appear to be what I'm looking for, but for about that same price($45 US shipped) I can buy a whole replacement 5x86 upgrade chip ($30). I was hoping to find the part for less than the cost of just replacing the CPU.

Reply 4 of 13, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, your TrinityWorks PowerStacker has twice as many DIP switches as mine!

You want to look for PGA 168. This one is cheapish. I bought from him before. https://www.ebay.de/itm/ECE-PGA168-SOCKETS-3- … CS/321163112146

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 7 of 13, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ooh, I used to have a TrinityWorks Powerstacker just like this. It was nice because it worked in almost every 486 socket I put it in, without any grief.
I hope you find a replacement pin for that thing, it's totally worth fixing.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 8 of 13, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed ..you are very lucky it is a corner pin missing ..and imo worth replacing ..
Yoy might even get away with a comonent leg ..say off a resistor or capacitor solderd in and cut to size .
Though it wouldnt be as tigid so it may bend when inserting the chip.
Well worth trying a fix.

good luck
VS

Reply 10 of 13, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know I won't help with it but... I just love this QFP 5x86 and I hope one day I find one (buying anything has been out of question during the last few years). Once I obtained one from an industrial CPU card but it was so messed up with epoxy(?) that I had to part with it. It would be much nicer to have one that actually fits a common Socket2/3 board anyway.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 11 of 13, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

feipoa wrote:

Wow, your TrinityWorks PowerStacker has twice as many DIP switches as mine!

You want to look for PGA 168. This one is cheapish. I bought from him before. https://www.ebay.de/itm/ECE-PGA168-SOCKETS-3- … CS/321163112146

Interesting! Is yours a different revision?

Your eBay link is what I was looking for. I did find the US link for that listing, and it's looking like the cheapest option for me. I may try soldering on a new pin as others have suggested, and if that doesn't work, I will replace the riser socket.

gbeirn wrote:

Where are you located? Pretty sure I have an extra one I can send you. Let me check at my office in the next day or so.

Thank you for the kind offer! I'm located in New Jersey, USA.

I've got a really clean Gateway 4DX2-66V desktop that I'm looking forward using to play with this 5x86 and a newly acquired DX4-100 Overdrive. I have the original heatsink for the Trinity as well. I took it off many years ago when I was trying to identify this CPU.

alvaro84 wrote:

I know I won't help with it but... I just love this QFP 5x86 and I hope one day I find one (buying anything has been out of question during the last few years). Once I obtained one from an industrial CPU card but it was so messed up with epoxy(?) that I had to part with it. It would be much nicer to have one that actually fits a common Socket2/3 board anyway.

It's such an interesting CPU. It's a shame that the one you found was messed up. I remember when I first found this chip, probably 15 years ago, and I was really surprised when I saw it rather than a more typical ceramic PGA 486.

Reply 12 of 13, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ha so funny I was born and raised in NJ and now live in Minnesota. I do have one I can send you, PM me you address and I’ll get it sent out.

Reply 13 of 13, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gbeirn wrote:

Ha so funny I was born and raised in NJ and now live in Minnesota. I do have one I can send you, PM me you address and I’ll get it sent out.

PM sent! 😁