VOGONS

First post, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I obtained a Voodoo3 AGP card, and parts of it a quite "rusty", at least I assume it's rust. There is a brown sheen on parts of the PCB, and some of the RAM chips have quite a thick layer of rust across the legs. There are also spotches of white.

I have tried rubbing alcohol and a qtip...but no luck, it doesn't come off.

Can I just immerse the entire card in a bath of vinegar and lemon...or will that destroy chips and other stuff? Any better approaches?

I haven't even tested the card yet to see if it is working in case the rust causes some kind of problem.

Reply 1 of 14, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't tried myself, but I've seen people recommending using acetic acid (vinegar) to neutralize and remove electrolyte from busted caps from PCB:s, so it should be ok.

If acetic acid doesn't do the trick, I'd try with diluted phosporic acid instead, at least to soften the rust up, and make mechanical cleaning possible. Wouldn't be too worried about using that on electronics either.

Make sure you wash everything thoroughly with [distilled] water afterwards.

Reply 4 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hot (hot!) sauce with good vinegar content works great. It's thick enough to persist after it's applied to the metal, so you don't have to worry about immersion.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 14, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Hot (hot!) sauce with good vinegar content works great. It's thick enough to persist after it's applied to the metal, so you don't have to worry about immersion.

So just to be clear, if I whip up some of this hot vinegar sauce, I can apply it liberally, including over actual ICs (ram chips mainly), maybe caps, and other miscellaneous stuff on the board? This stuff won't just dissolve silicon upon contact? I doubt I can effectively target the rust without getting some on various chips and other components.

And what is an example of hot sauce? Tobasco is not very thick. I don't know of any others (in Australia here).

Reply 7 of 14, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

THICC and spicy GPU!

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 8 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
squiggly wrote:

So just to be clear, if I whip up some of this hot vinegar sauce, I can apply it liberally, including over actual ICs (ram chips mainly), maybe caps, and other miscellaneous stuff on the board? This stuff won't just dissolve silicon upon contact? I doubt I can effectively target the rust without getting some on various chips and other components.

And what is an example of hot sauce? Tobasco is not very thick. I don't know of any others (in Australia here).

Yes, I am serious, and just put it on the rust.

HP NetServer 4d/66LE

Any pasty chili or hot sauce with high acid content should do.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 14, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
Yes, I am serious, and just put it on the rust. […]
Show full quote
squiggly wrote:

Yes, I am serious, and just put it on the rust.

HP NetServer 4d/66LE

Any pasty chili or hot sauce with high acid content should do.

OK I got some hot sauce on the weekend. Ingredients say vinegar, and it appears to be Hot! When you say "just put it on the rust" - well the rust is covering the legs of Ram chips so it would be hard to not get some on the actual chip as well - my main concern is it will eat through chips and other components. If I just covered the entire rear of the card in hot sauce would that be a problem? There is enough rust to justify spreading a nice thick layer right across the back. And I need to use distilled water to clean it off?

Reply 12 of 14, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure I would want to use a video card that has too much (if any) rust on it. Especially if the card is as common as a Voodoo3. I would just buy another Voodoo 3.

Reply 14 of 14, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tegrady wrote:

I'm not sure I would want to use a video card that has too much (if any) rust on it. Especially if the card is as common as a Voodoo3. I would just buy another Voodoo 3.

Its a 3000...i don't mind giving it a try. What else am I going to do with this Hot! sauce?