VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm talking about those basic adapter that you can use to plug usb device to ps/2 port. Is there difference between when such adapter is meant for a mouse and when it is meant for a keyboard? Basically, can I use such adapter that has a logo that the adapter is meant for keyboards to connect microsoft usb mouse that supports ps/2 protocol to a pc that doesn't have usb ports?

Reply 1 of 5, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can only use such passive adapters if the device (mouse/keyboard) itself is a dual-protocol device that supports both USB and PS/2 natively. AFAIK there is no difference between passive adapters for mouse/keyboard.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 3 of 5, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to Wikipedia these passive adapters are not standardized but to to tell you the truth I do not see many variations how you can assign USB pins to PS/2 pins passively.
There can be only 2 reasonable variations since 5V to 5V and Ground to Ground are given. But I do not think the 2 possible variations correspond the mouse/keyboard difference.
It seems the pin layout is the same in case of mouses and keyboards:
https://www.google.hu/search?q=PS/2+pin+layou … =XMQ6FQpGrIfBEM:
I know I have already used simple green passive converters with keyboard and it worked.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 4 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Both purple and green adapters will work with USB keyboard/mouse, they are identical. But not all modern keyboards and mice can work with PS/2 protocol.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.