VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Trying to run a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP on a Gigabyte GA-BX2000 Rev1.1. J20 and J21 are shorted for Voodoo 3 support. The card boots fine and the drivers install fine. It even runs games fine but after a couple boot cycles I get a blank screen after the windows logo. A hard reset results in 640x480x16 desktop with no 3dfx tools. Uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them occasionalyy solve the issue until it repeats.

Now I know this board is problematic with Vooodoo 3 in prior revisions but FAIK Rev 1.1 onwards solved the AGP current issue with J20 and J21.. the only reference I can find to a black screen after windows logo refers to Windows failing to initialize bus mastering foe Voodoo 3 cards (on 3dfxzone.it)

14. I'm getting a blank screen after the Windows logo. How do I correct this?

Generally after installing the drivers for the Voodoo3 2000, a black screen will occur if the system is not handling the Bus Mastering properly. This happens on some of the Socket 7 AGP motherboards. Contact the motherboard manufacturer for all the latest drivers for the motherboard and install those drivers . There should not be any further issues once the drivers are installed. Another possibility is that the refresh rate is set to high for the monitor. You will need to go into Safe Mode and bring the refresh rate down to Adapter Default to adjust the refresh rate.

The jumpers on J20 and J21 seem loose so I will try bending them out a bit and use new jumper caps to see if this will help.

BX2000 works fine with a GF2 GTS and Voodoo 3 works fine on a Katmai only 440BX Lucky Star motherboard.. So any ideas? Maybe a BIOS setting issue?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.