VOGONS

3D Blaster VLB has appeared on eBay.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool to have but not required unlike some items where there is no other choice unless you don't mind going without. This is why I do my best to hoard up on the cheap and not get burned with the insane prices later.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 21 of 31, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Katmai500 wrote:

It was also the first consumer GPU to require a two-slot cooling solution and had a very loud fan. It quickly got the nickname "dustbuster". The Radeon 9700/9800 Pro were better all around performers, and probably sold in much higher numbers, making the 5800U rare and a neat little piece of history. It was also the first big nvidia flop after a string of success from TNT2 through Geforce 4.

Well if you love 5800s so much there is a lot of NINE quadro versions going on a certain auction site under the title "Lot Of 9, HP 536797-001 Nvidia Quadro FX 5800".

Reply 22 of 31, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
squiggly wrote:

Well if you love 5800s so much there is a lot of NINE quadro versions going on a certain auction site under the title "Lot Of 9, HP 536797-001 Nvidia Quadro FX 5800".

They are not based on the Geforce FX 5800. The Quadro FX 5800 are based on the GTX 280 or 285.

Reply 25 of 31, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Artex,

I recall that you got yours for around the $200 mark?

In the listing that is currently active... the person who is winning the auction has clearly been ran up by a zero (0) feedback bidder, all within 24 hours of making their bid! If I were them, with days of the auction left to go... and sitting at the prospect of paying a whopping $1,000 bucks for this card in the manner which ran up to it... I'd feel pretty sick.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 26 of 31, by cricket

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

creepingnet is right.
Personally, I started collecting vintage computers because I love them but also because it looked like a cheap hobby to me.
However, as time went on, the demand for items like real MPU-401, SoundBlaster MC, Gravis Utrasound, original IBM PCs, etc... grew and I found myself spending 100s of Euros on such items.
What makes me sad is that it becomes all about profit and for a normal collector totally irational.
I had the luck to buy some items in about 15 years ago when I was a poo student.
Back in the day, I got a LAPC-I and a SCB55 on its MPU-401-AT each for less than 100€.
Today, this would be a good deal I guess.

Reply 27 of 31, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had several opportunities to grab 3D Blasters and NV1s for something like $30 a piece a number of years back. I always passed on them, because I don't find them interesting at all (basically nothing supports them).

You can still get into vintage PCs on the cheap, but you have to be a lot more patient. I typically never pay more than $20-$30 for any single piece of hardware unless it's something really special...and then I normally draw the line at $100.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 28 of 31, by skv400

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I had several opportunities to grab 3D Blasters and NV1s for something like $30 a piece a number of years back. I always passed on them, because I don't find them interesting at all (basically nothing supports them).

You can still get into vintage PCs on the cheap, but you have to be a lot more patient. I typically never pay more than $20-$30 for any single piece of hardware unless it's something really special...and then I normally draw the line at $100.

card.png
Filename
card.png
File size
164.95 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

But many people do not hesitate to spend a lot of money for their romance.

The picture shows a retro hardware club member born in 1982 who paid $ 350 for retro cpu in ebay.

What do you think about Anonymous Coward?

Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeaVPa3VMe9nUGDtFtVzvDQ

Reply 29 of 31, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only 12 hours left to go!

... A snip of a bargain price at only $1,200!

Get it while it's cheap!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks